Backup Assistant won't work with Droid
dmedows
Does anyone know how I can get my contacts from back-up assistant to my Droid? Thanks.
0 Likes
Re: Backup Assistant won't work with Droid
Androidatic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't believe that you can.  Here is a workaround though.  Access your backed up contacts on the web, export them to a CSV file and then import to Google contacts.  You may have to do a little editing, but your contacts will be there.

I have already imported mine to Google in preparation of getting the Eris and it worked fine.

Here is the link for Wireless back-up.

https://backupassistant.vzw.com/mb/?skininfo=110

Here are the instructions for importing them to a Droid device.

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/transfer_contacts/droid.html

0 Likes
vonfink

it will not work...the lady at the verizon store told me that you can't use BU asst any more..they got my contacts from my old phone and put em on the droid at the store....

0 Likes
jlynn74

The droid should automatically sync the contacts into gmail contacts. That is one of the great things about this phone is that most of you info can be automatically be backed up into google.

0 Likes
whitecoyote

[quote]The droid should automatically sync the contacts into gmail contacts. That is one of the great things about this phone is that most of you info can be automatically be backed up into google[/quote]

How does on retrieve, and look at contacts from google?  I would like to look to make sure new contacts have been backed up.

Thanks.

0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

Use MyBackup - it should work

0 Likes
annoni
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exporting contacts to a comma separated values (*.csv) file - Backup Assistant

...into a Personal Information Manager software. Android Importing contacts...
...file - Entourage Importing contacts from a comma separated values...

I stumbled onto the above article on the vzw.com/support site... there's an option in backup assistant that will let you export your contacts to a .csv file (assuming you have been using it with a phone that supports backup assistant and have been backing up your contacts). The next step is to import them into your google account.

I brought up the droid phone and searched for "exporting contacts to a comma" because sometimes, with searches, less is more... one of the hits had instructions to walk from exporting to a csv file to importing a csv file to gmail (an active gmail account will sync flawlessly to the phone.

0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

I just restored my phone with MyBackup.   Worked great I just had to add a few settings and I was back where I started.

0 Likes
wildthingjew

thanks to all of you for your assistance, i called tech support and they basically said that i was sool,

0 Likes
elspeth

Google just lost about half my backed up contact data!  random things - often addresses, sometimes directions or notes, birthdays, I never know what will have gone for any given record.  Web searches indicate this happens sometimes.  I'm looking for an alternative.  My Droid2 let me set up BU Assistant and says it's synciing every night, but the VZ website says it doesn't work with Droids.  The BU Assistant web page is empty of contact info.  Does VZ have my data somewhere or not?

Embarrassingly bad design if the phone goes through the motions but doesn't actually back anything up!  Maybe next time an iPhone (though that's a phone-contract-year away)...Apple doesn't seem to have problems losing data.

0 Likes