My wifi has been working perfect at work and at home. Used it last Friday at the office and all weekend at work. Today I turned it on, was out of the house before I turned it on so not sure if wifi worked at home.
I come to the office and it connects to wifi I see the wifi icon at the top but it's gray. I can get my work email since I'm inside the LAN network. I can browse out to devices on the network but I can't get WAN connectivity. I've pulled the battery, SIM, cleared all the saved networks and no change. It will not grab outside data at all. If I turn off wifi I get data off 4G no problem.
Nothing has changed for the work wifi. I administrator the network and I have other Android, iOS and laptops all working fine.
I just don't see what would cause the Bionic to do this. My last resort is a reset but would like to see if others have seen this before.
I have 2 AP's at the office I even rebooted one of them just to safe and still no change on the Bionic.
Ok looking further into it seems to be that some Android devices, mostly Motorola can't handle scope routing properly. I redid some things and all is working now. We made a change on Friday for static routes that shouldn't have affected anything but it appears some droids it does.
It's a little annoying since it's not all Android devices and iOS devices handled it fine.
Can you elaborate on what you did to fix your issue? I am running into the same issues with my wife's Bionic at home. I have m0n0wall setup for my router and firewall with a Netgear WNDR3700v3 Wireless router acting as an AP. All other devices work just fine on wireless but the Bionic will not route traffic to the outside world.
You'd have to layout what your network topology is. We have an MPLS connection for our two offices so that was are default gateway but we switched the gateway to our ASA firewall do to some issues with the MPLS router. Once we did that the scope of the DHCP had issues with some Droids, not all. Apparently this is an issue with the droids so once we took the MPLS route of the DHCP scope so the Droids would connect to the ASA directly it was fine.
Basically from the DHCP scope we had setup the Droids can't route from the MPLS to the ASA, not smart enough to figure it out. Again not all Droids has this, Motorola's did at least Droid Bionic and X's. One Samsung had the issue the other didn't. All the HTC devices we had worked. The iPhone's didn't have any issues either.
Its a pretty basic layout. Cable modem - > m0n0wall. m0n0wall -> access point(wireless router in AP mode). Nothing special configured for routing as there shouldn't need to be. The odd thing is if I remove m0n0wall from the picture and use the wireless router as a router, it works fine. I just hate to do that because I have a lot of firewall rules in m0n0wall blocking certain IP blocks from accessing my network.
What's the IP scheme for each thing, that sounds like the issue.
Is the cable and mono on the same IP scheme? So 192.168.0.x or are they on a different 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x
My home setup is this.
U-Verse Modem - 192.168.0.x ---- Cisco Router 192.168.2.x and this controls all LAN/Wireless internet.
The other thing to check is your AP is it B/G/N or B/G? Does your phone grab an IP at all or it doesn't see the AP?
Cable Modem is controlled by my ISP so I'm not sure of its exact IP.
monowall router gets its WAN IP from cable modem
monowall LAN subnet is 192.168.20.0/24- handles DHCP dishing address 20.100 - 20.254 and handles DNS
AP is B/G/N using WPA2 AES with an IP of .20.4
The phone gets a valid IP so I know it is connecting to the AP and can see the monowall box.
I guess its time to fire up wireshark and wifi analyzer to see what is all going on. And I guess if all else fails, I'll just remove the monowall box.
It could be the the droid doesn't like the way the AP is talking back to monowall. Tracing what's going on sounds like the only bet, probably some setting that can be fixed once you find it.
So I finally figured out my issue. For some reason, the USB port on the Bionic has an IP bound to it. I'm not sure exactly what it is for but I think it has something to do with the tethering. Long story short, the IP address that the USB port was using was 192.168.20.1 the same IP as the monowall box. So after reconfiguring my home network to run on a different subnet other than .20.x the bionic is connecting and using the wifi just fine.