Bluetooth voice dialing on Droid
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

Just got my Droid yesterday, and was amazed that it doesn't have the capability of bluetooth voice dialing. I think that this is the first phone that I have had in the last five years without BT voice dialing. With today's driving laws, how did Motorola and Google put this phone on the market with this shortcoming. So it is bye-bye Droid, back to Blackberry!

And to top it all off, VZW wants to charge me a $35.00 restocking fee to return it. NOT!!

0 Likes
Re: Bluetooth voice dialing on Droid
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

basspro wrote:

Just got my Droid yesterday, and was amazed that it doesn't have the capability of bluetooth voice dialing. I think that this is the first phone that I have had in the last five years without BT voice dialing. With today's driving laws, how did Motorola and Google put this phone on the market with this shortcoming. So it is bye-bye Droid, back to Blackberry!

And to top it all off, VZW wants to charge me a $35.00 restocking fee to return it. NOT!!

check out Voice Dialer HF.  remember, its a droid, so theres an app for that.

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

This is not handsfree, is it?

The new laws coming out do not allow touching the phone to initiate a call.

0 Likes
JasonJoel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope, no completely hands-free dialing on thr Droid (or any other Android based phone) right now.

If that is a need for you, I would seriously consider returning the phone. The feature MAY be added at a later time, but who knows when... Android has been out for over a year and it hasn't been added YET...

I expect it to happen in 2010, but I have yet to see anything official confirming that. That is just me guess.

Jason

0 Likes
bob2
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
bob2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Iphone doesn't either so why should Droid? There is no good reason to fix it if the competition doesn't have it.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

whatever the droid lacks benefits the developers of apps and the users as well.  there will always be a developer thinking they can make a better app than what is considered a stock app for a phone.  so this gives them the opportunity to do so. and the users of the Droid will have the opportunity to decide for themselves if they want their phone bombarded with apps that are meaningless to them.  i, for one, dont use bluetooth right now, so an app that will allow me to voice dial from a bluetooth device i dont own is just wasted space.

i wish when the droid came out the phone would have been empty.  then we could have added stock apps we need, from a website. but i digress.....

in the market i came across an app, i wish is i could remember the name, but the developer apparently created an app at a customers suggestion.  so it can happen.

and yes, Voice Dialer HF is not truly hands free, but neither is a bluetooth.  you still have to press a button on the bluetooth device to activate it.  with the voice dialer, you have to press the external camera button.  seems the same to me. the police wont notice if your hand is below the dashboard pressing the camera button.

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

One main problem with the Voice Dialer is that it cannot understand words. You tell it to "dial Sarah", and it pops up "call Jimmy"! This needs to be fixed, and no, it isn't just me, as several statements with the same issue have been made in different forums.

0 Likes
GreySeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

basspro wrote:

One main problem with the Voice Dialer is that it cannot understand words. You tell it to "dial Sarah", and it pops up "call Jimmy"! This needs to be fixed, and no, it isn't just me, as several statements with the same issue have been made in different forums.

There's an app for that.........sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, there is, more or less.  Instead of using the voice dialer, use the Google search microphone.  (the one normally used to search the web).  If you use that instead of the voice dialer, it is way, way more accurate.  Just say "Call Susie", or whatever, and 9 times out of 10, you'll get what you want.

Just for giggles, not related to Bluetooth at all but relevant to voice recognition, check out a program called "Talk to Me".  Not "talk to me keyboard", just "Talk to Me".  It's a language translation program, to go from English to Spanish, German, French or Italian.  The voice recognition with that program is deadly accurate, and the translation (at least into Spanish) is right on.  Whoever programmed that app knows his/her stuff.

0 Likes
edmus823

The Google Microphone and the voice dialer options work okay.  You just have to be completely specific when using.  For example, "Call Brad Pitt home" and it should automatically dial if you have this programmed in your contacts. :smileywink:

0 Likes