Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Re: Camera flash kills / shuts down and locks up Droid Charge
W_A_Watson_II

Yea, JerryF, I know how the camera/flash Auton/On/Off works.  When taking the same pictures before the flash in auto would flash, now it's not that was the only point I was making.

Yep, it's good to have the camera working better and not freezing the phone.

Thanks,

Will

0 Likes
Barney34

We have had this phone for 3 months now and it radomly locks up like some have described the only way to get it to turn on is pull the battery.  I tried to read the 18 pages and it looks like there is some conjecture about turn off flash, turn off picture review, sacerfice some chickens, and/ or yell out loud all seem to have some results and not with others.   What is the best solution just not take picutes or not use the flash?

Thank you VZW for asking me if my phone was charged when I called into the toll free number.  I guess Im that dumb.

0 Likes
elvisruns

I've had my Charge for right around two months now, and this issue has happened both before and after the Gingerbread update. 

Latest was last week, while I was out as a jobsite and needing to document some field conditions.  VERY inconveinent.  Phone would not turn back on without pulling the battery, which in and of itself, was an interesting experience (since the conver apprently isn't made to slide off which might otherwise be considered normal). 

0 Likes
ABMORDEN

I have been having this problem for the last 3 months or so.  They are sending me my second replacement after many factory resets and have told me as recently as yesterday that this is not a known problem for this device.    At one point last week they had decided to ship me a different device (motorola) but cancelled it without informing me. I found that out when I called to see what the tracking number was.  I guess their fix is to keep sending out replacement until I am defeated and give up.  Fruswtration level is very high. 

0 Likes
ABMORDEN

I forgot to add that I use the camera for work and take about 150 pictures a day so this is a huge problem.

0 Likes
JerryF

Abmorden,

When you get your phone I suggest that you FULLY charge the battery BEFORE you use the phone.  Yes, I mean put it on the charger, walk away, maybe have a beer or 2 or even 3, and do NOT even turn on the phone for 4 to 6 hours.  Let the battery fully charge.   The only thing you do is put the battery in the phone.  If it turns on by itself turn it off immediately. 

The best way to do the first charge is to put the battery in and DO NOT even press the power button that turns on the phone.  Charge it with the phone off.  After it charges for 2-3 minutes you'll see a green battery that looks like a flashlight battery on the display screen and then it will go away so watch for it and then go get a beer  Then hours later when it's fully charged the green colored battery will again appear with 100% on it.  At this point unplug the charger and immediately re plug it back in.  About 6-10 minutes later it will again say 100% in the green battery.  At that point it's done.  It's really full.  BTW, use the small 110 volt charger that came with the phone because it's faster.  It charges at 1 Amp.

After it is fully charged make sure it has Gingerbread 2.3.6 software on it.  Touch Settings>About Phone an go to the bottom of the list of items.  Does the Firmware Version say 2.3.6?  If so it's Gingerbread 2.3.6.  Now use the phone.

I believe some folks have caused themselves problems because they started using their phone with a weak battery.

When I posted this I noticed that you use your camera a lot.  Because of that I encourage you to follow the above charging advice even more so.  Hey..,maybe 5 or 6 beers!

JerryF

0 Likes
jduncan4

can you even see how utterly ridiculous what you just typed is???  i mean its a device you paid a few hundred dollars for (most likely) and you are expected to complete this mantra of annoying steps to make it work?  and plz don't give me some 'well thats how it works' nonsense... "   return or replace the phone with something that WORKS  or talk to customer service and speak to a supv and get the pos replaced

0 Likes
JerryF

jduncan4,

My answer to your question in the first sentence of your post is NO.

I was NOT criticizing the Verizon Charge phone.  Mine works great.  You have misinterpreted my post to Abmorden!

Both myself and some battery manufacturers believe that a new cell phone battery should be fully charged BEFORE it is used in any cell phone.

My post offered a very thorough method of doing just that, fully charging a new battery the first time. 

I would make this same recommendation with any and all brands of smart phones when a new battery is involved.

JerryF 

0 Likes
angelsix

My bad.

When I was badgered into giving up my Gummycharged Froyo, to save time I flashed directly what I thought was the final Verizon/Gingerbread installation.  Last night I figured out I'd erred, and instead of getting Firmware 2.3.6 I'd installed 2.3.3. Didn't seem likely that getting the 2.3.6 would make a difference, but, you know, what the heck?  There had to be something somebody thought was worth improving.  And, darned if the LED problem wasn't part of it.  With my old battery, sometimes partially charged, the LED flashlight apps work fine (went back to good ol' Tiny Flashlight, but installed & checked several others just to see).  Also, no problem with the camera flash.

So, for those of you having this problem, you might double-check to make sure your firmware (<menu> <settings> <about phone> "Firmware Version") is 2.3.6.

:mansad:

0 Likes
nfgfaniam

My review setting has always been off. This is the first time I've been to the settings and this box is not checked.

0 Likes