Can I fix and register a discarded Droid X2 870 for myself or do I have to turn it in?
ronwizbot

I found a discarded Verizon Droid X2 870 in the median on a state highway close to where I live.  I noticed it was missing the small bottom front plate by the buttons and its back battery cover.  It has a SIM card and battery.  I took it home and used my current phone's charger to charge the battery and test it.  It appears to work fine despite being tossed out of a window and losing those pieces I mentioned.  I know that this is an expensive phone but I would like to know if I can get it fixed inexpensively and register and use it as my primary phone or would I be obligated to turn it back to Verizon?

If I was able to make it my primary phone, would I be required to use 4G or could I remain with my current 3G plan?

If I had to turn it back to Verizon, would I get any money for it since the phone doesn't have any major damage?  Where would I send it and who would pay the shipping?

I doubt if you had faced these questions before, but I don't like to see working technology go to waste.  Please let me know the answers.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Can I fix and register a discarded Droid X2 870 for myself or do I have to turn it in?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone was likely reported lost or stolen. Verizon will then blacklist the MEID number of the phone and prevent it from being activated on the network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Can I fix and register a discarded Droid X2 870 for myself or do I have to turn it in?
ronwizbot

Hello,

So I can't return this back to Verizon so it can be used for parts for another used phone?  Or does this just become a toy that I can't do anything with?  Can I sell it for parts on eBay?  Please answer these and the other multiple questions from the original post.  Thank you.

<Email address removed per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

yes 4g, new contract "if" it can be activated. if being the key word.

check one of the places that fixes phones, if they can't do anything, take the card/s out & throw it away.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The DROID X2 wasn't a 4G LTE smartphone. It might have been a world phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

never mind

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

If you can't activate it, you can sell it for parts on eBay if you clearly state it has a bad ESN.

0 Likes
ronwiznot

I discovered a text on this phone from the original owner.  I replied to the text from another phone and arranged to have her boyfriend pick it up.  I gave the phone back and it was re-activated by the original owner.  Problem solved.  Thank you all for your help!

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Way to track down the owner. I'm sure she was happy to get it back. Hopefully she won't be chucking it at her boyfriend anymore while the car window is open.

0 Likes