Can't Receive Text Messages
Haus3755

I think this has been going on for a few days, but I just realized it last night (BEFORE I received the Gingerbread update, I have the udpate now)  I can send texts just fine, but can't receive any at all.  I get no notification, nothing.  I have tried to send myself SMS and MMS messages from my girlfriend's phone (A Samsung Fascinate through Verizon), two different websites, and my own phone.  Nothing.  Everything else on the phone works fine, calls, internet, etc.

My data is turned on and I have a strong signal.

I did numerous restarts, including battery pulls.  After one of the restarts, I got the Gingerbread push, so I downloaded it.  No change.  I did a factory reset, no change.

I was using the stock messaging app, so I downloaded SMS Pro, and no change still.

I'm about to call customer service, not really looking forward to that!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't Receive Text Messages
Cody21
Master - Level 2

No, CLEAR CACHE is NOT a Factory Reset ... but "cleans" up a lot of stuff that causes issues without the effort to recover from a Factory reset.

Glad they fixed your issue though ....  Please mark this resolved if you're happy. It will help others in the future to "go talk to Verizon"  if they have a similar issue.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Haus3755

Just got off the phone with customer service.  My girlfriend is the accountholder, she is at work and unavailable, so they basically wouldn't even talk to me.  He suggested a "soft restart" and calling the *228 setup number.  Absolutely worthless.  Like I figured, I am more frustrated than I was before talking to them.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

You say they suggested the *228 method, but did you make sure to choose option 2 instead of 1??

Go into your Settings- Go to Applications- Select Manage Applications- Select your texting app- Select Clear Cache. Also do this for any email app you use (for some reason I've found these 2 apps go hand in hand when one is not functioning)

You're not receiving text from anyone, or just certain people?

0 Likes
Haus3755

I tried calling *228 and did option 1 and option 2.

I just looked through my caches, they are all empty, which they should be after doing the factory reset.  I really thought this was the problem too...the first time I started being told that I had missed texts was last week, not long after I had tried to send a couple of pictures via text and those texts failed to go through.

I can't receive texts from anyone, or at least myself, two different websites, and my girlfriend.  I think I was sent messages a few days ago from two others, but that hasn't been confirmed.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Have you checked the obvious? On My Verizon (online), make sure you don't have SMS messages blocked for Incoming? I assume you tried uninstalling the APP & reinstalling it?

0 Likes
Haus3755

I haven't found a setting in the X to block all text messages.  There is really no way that I could have/would have "accidentally turned it on," but it is entirely possible that an installed app may have without me knowing it.  But, the factory reset didn't solve it...

As far as uninstalling and installing though, I can't uninstall the stock app, but I did download two aftermarket apps and they were no help.

**I just saw the "Online" part of your post.  My bad.  I'll double check that when the GF gets home, she's got the password, lol.**

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I was referring to Verizon Online ... I was just poking around there (the various "Controls") and also don't see a way to block just Incoming vs. Outgoing msgs -- it's an ALL or Nothing apparently. Very strange issue you're having. Especially after doing a Factory reset. Have you tried just doing a CLEAR/WIPE CACHE procedure now that all your APPs are reinstalled?

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Oh, 1 more thing to check -- when you get the Online Password, chek your USAGE details for texting -- see if there is a log of you actually SENDING a text message. if there is NOT, then apparently they're not making it out of your phone's APP. If they ARE showing up as SENT, then I would contact Verizon and find out WHY they're not making it out of their system.

good luck

0 Likes
Haus3755

I went through and checked all email and messaging related apps, all say their caches are empty.

Weird indeed.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I dont' know what you mean by "check cache & they're all clear" ...  did you actually RUN the Clear cache procedure?  Not sure I'd trust just looking at something. Also, make sure you do that last step I suggested above.

Wiping cache partition 

• Power off
  • Power On Holding Home Key
  • When Andy with Exlamation Point Shows up Press BOTH Volume keys
  • Use Volume Keys to navigate to "wipe cache partition" and tap power button to select
  • Wait for it to finish and select reboot system
0 Likes