Can view photos but can't download
jnalex

My Droid X has begun telling me "SD Card unmounted or unavailable" everytime I go to download photos. I don't even know where the SD card is located so I haven't unmounted it. I downloaded photos easily when I first got the phone, but recently I get this "unmounted/unavailable" message. How do I correct the problem and download my photos?

0 Likes
Re: Can view photos but can't download
Cody21
Master - Level 2

That message seems to come and go for various people. In the WORST case, the SD Card somehow gets corrupted.

Have you tried just Powering off the phone, removing the battery for a min, reinsert, & power back up??  See if that fixes it. (PS - the SD Card is the external/removable card that is under your battery - you will see it when you remove the battery.)

Try that first - and let us know what happens. If that doesn't fix it, the next step will be to remove the SD Card and insert it in another card reader like in your PC, if you have one.  Else just take it to Verizon & let them see if they can read the card.

Good luck.

0 Likes
jnalex

Thanks for the prompt reply, Cody. I did as you suggested: Powered off.

Removed Battery. Waited a few minutes. Replaced the battery. Powered on.

Went to Gallery. Connected the cable. Still get the same SD message.

john

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Sorry - I was confused about what specifically the issue was that you were having. So it sounds like the problem is that you are able to view images/pics ON the phone, but when you connect your USB cable you are unable to see the card, right?

If that is the case, when you connect via the USB cable, you should see a pop-up on your PC about it connecting. Are you seeing that? Has this EVER worked? Did you install your USB driver on your PC ?

If that is all true, when you connect, swipe down from the top tool bar on your phone - and item called "USB Connection" should be there. Select it to "manage your USB connection". From that list, select "USB MASS STORAGE" - what happens? At that point, if successful, you should see the phone as a new drive letter on your PC under "MY COMPUTER" .. now you just drag & drop files ..

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

how are you trying to dl photos? move from pc to phone?

i use windows explorer, following cody21's usb explanation & see the phone as an additional drive as motorola & a sub folder.

i opened the sub folder, which shows music & pic folders & i did the drag/drop shuffle, moving individual pics & entire folders to the pic folder.

0 Likes
jnalex

Okay,

Yes, the transfer from Droid X to PC used to work consistently until

recently. The last three or four batches of photos couldn't be transferred

because of the "SD Card unmounted/unavailable" or whatever.

I did as you suggested: Went to the top tool bar, swiped downward for

Manage my USB and noticed that the green selection light was on "USB MASS

STORAGE" which you said I should select. At that time, I went to the PC and

checked "removable disc E" which was the Droid X. I scrolled down and chose

DCIM file and then CAMERA and there were all my photos. I dragged that file

to the PC photos file and now I have downloaded the photos. I still don't

think downloading ;photos should be this many steps or this difficult and

it still doesn't resolve why the error message regarding the "SD" card kept

coming up.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it, Cody.

john

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

If it "used to work" and suddenly no longer due to that error, it sounds like it just lost your preferred connection method (USB Mass Storage).  And I agree - should not be this many steps just to offload pics ...  That's why I prefer to use the free APP called "Software Data Cable" -- it allows this transfer of data to work over WiFi  ...  A little bit of setup, but once it's initially there I find it easier to deal with.

0 Likes