Re: Charge dropping 3G service: "Network not available"
mpbclutch33

well....... ended up sending another email to VZW and a very nice guy got back to me just now. Even though I sent a link to this thread in the email, he still said there is no documented problem with this phone. I am out of the 14 day return so the only thing he could do was send me a "Certified new" replacement but it still would be the same phone. I said based on what I have read on here, there is not point in me going through all that if its not going to help the problem. Back to Square one I guess.....

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

mpbclutch33 wrote:

well....... ended up sending another email to VZW and a very nice guy got back to me just now. Even though I sent a link to this thread in the email, he still said there is no documented problem with this phone. I am out of the 14 day return so the only thing he could do was send me a "Certified new" replacement but it still would be the same phone. I said based on what I have read on here, there is not point in me going through all that if its not going to help the problem. Back to Square one I guess.....

Talk about a lack of decency to tell you there's 'no documented problem'. We get one Verizon story that they're working with Samsung to correct this problem and then someone else at Verizon says no documented problem.  Nothing short of unreal.

0 Likes
gemro311

Agreed. I am on my 3rd replacement phone due to the "3G drop" issue. Everybody I have spoken with @ Verizon is very well aware of the issue .  To me that's not caring about their  job or giving you a snow job..I would just keep calling until you talk to someone who is informed . Never give up !

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Hpyjoy,

Yes, we do monitor our Customer Forums and thank you for posting. The data connection issues outlined on these forum/posts may need a software update in order to be resolved. Additionally, a phone replacement will not guarantee a resolution.

However, please note that some troubleshooting options may improve the phone's performance in the mean time. Be assured that any software update developed to resolve this issue will be pushed out to all devices as soon as developed and released by the manufacturer.

Please review the troubleshooting options below:

1- Turn Wi-Fi off when not within reach of a Wi-Fi connection as this may interfere with the mobile data connection.

Select Menu.

Select Settings.

Select Wireless & network.

Select Wi-Fi settings.

Uncheck Wi-Fi.

2- Test for any third party application conflicts by running your phone in safe mode. If issue is not replicated while in safe mode then a third party application is causing the issue.

Press and hold the Power button

Select Restart.

Once the Samsung logo appears, press and hold the Menu button.

Continue to hold the Menu button until Safe mode appears in the lower-left of the unlock screen.

To disable safe mode, simply power off and back on.

3- Enable mobile data.

From the home screen, select and hold the status bar (located at the top of the display).

Drag the window shade to the bottom of the display.

Select Mobile data.

4- Select 3G only when not in a 4G coverage area.

Select Menu.

Select Settings.

Select Mobile networks.

Select System selection.

Select CDMA mode (when not in 4G coverage).

0 Likes
medina

Step 4 sounds helpful when switching out 3G and 4G thanks! will try when not in a 4G coverage area!

0 Likes
Booch

ChristinaB_VZW wrote:

Hi Hpyjoy,

Yes, we do monitor our Customer Forums and thank you for posting. The data connection issues outlined on these forum/posts may need a software update in order to be resolved. Additionally, a phone replacement will not guarantee a resolution.

However, please note that some troubleshooting options may improve the phone's performance in the mean time. Be assured that any software update developed to resolve this issue will be pushed out to all devices as soon as developed and released by the manufacturer.

Please review the troubleshooting options below:

1- Turn Wi-Fi off when not within reach of a Wi-Fi connection as this may interfere with the mobile data connection.

Select Menu.

Select Settings.

Select Wi-Fi settings.

Uncheck Wi-Fi.

2- Test for any third party application conflicts by running your phone in safe mode. If issue is not replicated while in safe mode then a third party application is causing the issue.

Press and hold the Power button

Select Restart.

Once the Samsung logo appears, press and hold the Menu button.

Continue to hold the Menu button until Safe mode appears in the lower-left of the unlock screen.

To disable safe mode, simply power off and back on.

3- Enable mobile data.

From the home screen, select and hold the status bar (located at the top of the display).

Drag the window shade to the bottom of the display.

Select Mobile data.

4- Select 3G only when not in a 4G coverage area.

Select Menu.

Select Settings.

Select Mobile networks.

Select System selection.

Select CDMA mode (when not in 4G coverage).

None of these troubleshooting options have done any good for me.  Unfortunately I have to come to the realization that I got a faulty device from Samsung and Verizon.  I am also not optimistic there will even be a fix for this issue.

Shame on you, Verizon.  I hope that you are a reputable company and provide alternatives so that we are not stuck with this faulty phone on your faulty 4G network.

0 Likes
ctkacenko

Thank you Thank you.  My phone works again.  Techs

Ray999 wrote:
In my office which has poor 4G, I set my mobile networks to CDMA mode to deal with issues like you are having. It doesn't seem to drop like it did when I was on LTE automatic. Sometimes it drops to 1x but I still get my email.

wanted to send me a refurbished phone even though I have only had it for 15 days.  Had no network connection anywhere, and so far it seems to work.

0 Likes
rcaplinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since someone from Verizon appears to have posted, let me add my experience.  I also have almost daily connectivity loss, whether 4G, 3G, or 1X.  Sometime's the signal drops in that order, then cuts out completely; other times, it seems to switch back and forth between the bands.  There is no single location where this happens (work, home, on the bus), nothing consistent when it occurs.  I use bluetooth regularly and it is turned on all the time, even at home.  I have not tethered any devices since July 6 when I would have begun being charged, and I have not attempted to install any 3rd-party tethering apps.

I do not use WIFI at any time during the week, I do not have any apps that could be the culprit, I have not rooted or otherwise tried to change the version of Android on my Charge.  I do not have any task killer apps, anti-virus, etc., other than apps that were shipped with the Charge.  I do not stream anything over the internet, although I have tried it and was disappointed that it was also subject to the same performance problems as music stored on the microSD card.

I have had the phone lock up a few times, I have had the browser crash after every 3 or 4 days of usage. This is not unlike my computers which do the same thing, but I didn't think I surfed that much on the phone.

Any time I am listening to music through my bluetooth headset and try to surf web sites through the built-in browser or through any apps from specific websites, like Engadget or Tech Bargains, at the same time (4G or 3G, doesn't matter), the bluetooth audio stutters, cuts out, speeds up, and is generally unlistenable while the page elements load (watching the red and green arrows under 4G icon at the top).

I have also tried other MicroSD cards, both faster and slower, and they make no difference in performance of the music player while surfing.  The only difference was that faster class cards decreassed the time between camera shots while the picture is written to the card.

I do believe the 4G/3G connectivity issue needs to be addressed ASAP by Verizon and Samsung.  The other items I have mentioned also should be looked at, but I want my data working first.Posting a public message to the effect that you have at least heard us would mean a lot to so many people who love this phone.  If you need volunteers/beta testers, I'd be glad to lend my phone and time.

Thanks!

0 Likes
stonleet
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've tried all you suggested and I still loose 3g connection everytime my phone goes to sleep.  i have to do Step #4 to get it to work again, each and everytime i wake the phone up. I'm in safe mode and having this issue.

0 Likes
mpbclutch33

Today has been especially crappy for some reason. I can't get 3g even buy restarting the phone now. That used to be the only Go-To. Now What? Ugh...... Beyond Annoyed!

0 Likes