Re: Charge dropping 3G service: "Network not available"
Booch

Okay, I have a report back to my discussion with Verizon.  They are willing to swap out my current phone (dropping data) for another phone and send the faulty phone back to Samsung to research what the problem is.

However, in return, I would get a "certified" used Samsung Charge phone.  Is it me or is this completely ridiculous?  I paid $300 for my Samsung Charge and I refuse to have a used phone in return.  I would do this if I were to receive a brand-new phone but not a used phone.  My current phone is only about 3 weeks old and in my mind, I would be downgrading to get a used phone.

I am pretty discouraged right now with Verizon.  Unfortunately, they are guilty by association as this is likely a Samsung issue.  However, Verizon sold me the phone (not Samsung) and should stand by these products.

I am going to start my complaints with Samsung directly but still stay vocal with Verizon until this gets fixed. 

0 Likes
mclovin33

I had a similar problem, but I went a couple of days without service at all while Verizon sent me a replacement device.  I went through the switchover of devices, and saw the same problem.  I got the run-around from a couple of cs agents about how they have escalated the ticket, and should have it resolved within another 3 days.  Not content to live with this, I tried monkeying around with things, and I finally got back on 3g.  What I did to get it to work was to go into Settings->Wireless & network->Mobile Networks->System Selection and change the setting from "LTE automatic" to CDMA mode.  I know that I will not pick up a 4g signal with this setting, but there isn't 4g at my house anyways, so I would rather have slower data-mode than no data-mode.  As soon as I changed this, I had 3g right away again.  My suspicion is that they stood up a new 4g tower nearby recently, and the phone is picking it up as a 4g signal, so it doesn't even try 3g, but of course that is just a hunch.

Ron

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

Booch wrote:

Okay, I have a report back to my discussion with Verizon.  They are willing to swap out my current phone (dropping data) for another phone and send the faulty phone back to Samsung to research what the problem is.

However, in return, I would get a "certified" used Samsung Charge phone.  Is it me or is this completely ridiculous?  I paid $300 for my Samsung Charge and I refuse to have a used phone in return.  I would do this if I were to receive a brand-new phone but not a used phone.  My current phone is only about 3 weeks old and in my mind, I would be downgrading to get a used phone.

I am pretty discouraged right now with Verizon.  Unfortunately, they are guilty by association as this is likely a Samsung issue.  However, Verizon sold me the phone (not Samsung) and should stand by these products.

I am going to start my complaints with Samsung directly but still stay vocal with Verizon until this gets fixed. 

Don't bother swapping it out because you'll have exactly the same issue with phone #2, #3 and however many you want to go through.  The problem is either the design of these 4G phones and their radios, the 4G signal in your area or a combination of both.  Those that report no issues are simply fortunate to be living & traveling in very solid 4G areas.

My area shows many pockets of solid 4G signal on the Verizon map, but the dirty little secret is that many of these pockets are very weak 4G to the extent that even outside you don't get 4G and if you do and go 2' inside any kind of building, you can kiss your 4G goodbye.  Very often the 'no data' issue is not far behind the loss of the 4G signal as you go from 4G to 3G to !X to no data.

Aint technology grand? The joke's on me because I came over to Verizon from AT&T that had a far more robust 3G signal that never suffered from this persistant data drop.  Of course that was an Iphone and to be fair, my wife's Verizon Iphone also doesn't suffer from these data drops.  This is a real major issue with the current crop of 4G phones on Verizon.

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

On my recent trip to West bumble F Egypt also known as Jones Creek Texas, I had issues with 3g and 4g. It woudl switch to 3g and get a weak signal but that areas has weak cell reception all around, oddly I got 3g in spots while a Droid x 2 dual core couldn't get any signal nor data.

Once up the road a bit I got solid reception. You need to be in a closer radius to 4g towers and 3g requires a fix milage as well, 200 is far to far.

A note I am running the EE4 update.

0 Likes
Booch

Hopefully Verizon will see that this issue is common and needs to be addressed:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-droid-charge/360175-connectivity-issues.html

0 Likes
Booch
0 Likes
paperclips

Hmm Well 3G is is everrr soooo slightly better as of the last few days (it'll tease me by appearing for 30 seconds all by itself, then go away), but doesn't even compare to the signals the other 1st/2nd generation Droids on Verizon in my house. They NEVER GET DROPPED 3G. I no longer have any faith in this company's ability to deliver what they promise (AND CHARGE YOU FOR).

Thanks for nothing Verizon! Seriously, at this point, we're going to cancel our entire family plan soon and switch to AT&T because of the astronomical bills for NO 3G for 2 of the phones (the Samsung Droid Charges of course).

0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem. This is the second Samsung phone I've owned in the last month, and both of them have had issues with holding a connection.  The other phone was the Nexus S 4G and I returned it due to that issue which is still outstanding.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

curtisdr wrote:

I have the same problem. This is the second Samsung phone I've owned in the last month, and both of them have had issues with holding a connection.  The other phone was the Nexus S 4G and I returned it due to that issue which is still outstanding.

Yeah, I only had about 3 instance today with what appeared to be a relatively strong signal and 'no data'.  This is just getting abusrdly annoying.  I'm really thinking that giving up the Iphone was not a good idea.  My wife sits there with her Iphone and always gets data while I wait...and wait...and wait...and wait. Her 'cutsey' response to me is always "You got a bad phone".  :smileysad:

Also had a brand new issue today, the phone just went dead...no response, no nothing, just a black screen.  I tried holding down the power button, the home button, ANY button and nothing worked until I did a battery pull.

0 Likes
Ray999
Contributor - Level 1

vidguy7 wrote:

Also had a brand new issue today, the phone just went dead...no response, no nothing, just a black screen.  I tried holding down the power button, the home button, ANY button and nothing worked until I did a battery pull.

Both of the Charge's in our household have done the going dead thing 3 or 4 times in the last week. It usually happens right after the 4G/3G starts flaking out halfway through a page load or something like that. Most of the times, it took a battery pull to get the phone back. A few other times, the phone just rebooted after the screen went black Something is definitely hosing the phone memory for it to be doing that.

0 Likes