Re: Charge with Comcast mail
Nebular_Novice
Contributor - Level 1

tntcoop wrote:

My question is how do you remove an email account already setup?

For the default email app:

1.  Enter app

2.  Press <Menu>

3.  Select Accounts

4.  Long press the account you want to delete.  (The Charge will vibrate briefly.)

5.  Select Remove account.

That should do it -- but I haven't tested the last step since I don't have any accounts I want to remove.

0 Likes
tntcoop

that did it thank you:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
tntcoop

I did the change as descripted above but the emails are disappearing.  What is happening is the emails are coming in and once read they disappear.  My wife has also mention that even unread emails are disappearing as well.

The emails that are sent are being stored now

Please advise 

Does anyone know how to get the calendar events from your comcast email to populate and sync to the Droid Charge?

0 Likes
MaxBuck
Contributor - Level 1

I recommend using Gmail to pull accounts that you wish to keep emails from.  Both the native email program and K9 Mail basically delete emails from the phone once they're read.  Gmail keeps them till you hit Google's system limit.

0 Likes
Nebular_Novice
Contributor - Level 1

MaxBuck wrote:

I recommend using Gmail to pull accounts that you wish to keep emails from.  Both the native email program and K9 Mail basically delete emails from the phone once they're read.  Gmail keeps them till you hit Google's system limit.

I beg to differ about the deletion.  I can't be absolutely sure about the native app since I abandoned it as quickly as possibly.  I AM sure about K9 Mail: it does NOT delete messages either from the phone or the (POP3) server -- unless it is told to, of course.  I can read any number of messages and come back and read them again if I leave them in my Inbox.  (I just tested to be sure.)

I do agree that gmail has some advantages over K9.  The biggest ones IMO are the ability to set up new mailboxes and save messages from the inbox to a Save box (or whatever other mailbox you want to name).  Just a simple Save would make K9 much more valuable to me.

0 Likes
Nebular_Novice
Contributor - Level 1

tntcoop, could you be more specific about exactly what is being done?

As I interpret it, you are using K9 Mail to read a message in the Inbox, NOT deleting it, and then cannot see that message in the Inbox.  Is that correct?  That is not what happens to me, so we're getting something different.

One thing to check is the sync settings.  I have things set to do as little syncing as possible.  One important one is do NOT have "Sync server deletions" checked.  If that is checked, I would think messages on  your phone would be deleted when they were deleted from the server.

Anyway, please give us some more description of what's happening.

0 Likes
tntcoop

I am using the native email on the Droid.  When messages arrive they disappear after reading them.  The unread emails also just disappear after some time has passed over 10 minutes. We have the deletions not to sync to the server.

When I set up the comcast email using the default settings I was able to pull and keep all the emails but none of the emails sent were stored and we had people state they did not receive them. 

After reading the thread on this message post, I setup a new email account following the manual steps outline in the previous threads.  Only new emails pulled down and I tested sending emails with success and all emails  where being stored in the sent folder.  Issue now as I mention above are the emails just disappear.

I am guessing I will need to buy an email app like k9email  is that correct

0 Likes
Nebular_Novice
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for clarifying the problem(s).

In the short period I used the default email app on the Charge, I had many objections to it.  One of them was that I could not find a way to prevent syncing to the extent that emails which were removed from the server by other programs were deleted from my Charge.  (I could prevent the Charge email app from deleting the email from the server, but deletion on the Charge seemed non-negotiable.)

I don't recall problems storing outgoing messages.  You may have some issue there related to setting up the outgoing server.  However I did find that the email app sent messages which arrived with incorrect headers, creating problems on the other end.  (The email arrived, but wasn't decoded properly.)

I would recommend that you try K9.  It's free so no need to buy it.  It doesn't do everything that I want (notably it doesn't save messages), but it does keep incoming messages in its inbox until I delete them and sends messages with proper headers.

You could use gmail.  It does let you save messages and create different mailboxes.  I don't use it as my primary app for two reasons:

1.  I don't want to change my main email address to gmail.  (Yes, I could forward, but....)

2.  I need mass erase capability, which it does not have.

If I need to save an iincoming message for more than a short while, I will forward it to my gmail address and save it there.  That doesn't happen often because my primary email is on my computer so I save stuff there.

I hope this rambling is helpful.

0 Likes
Not applicable

If the emails are arriving to the device and disappearing, it is most likely some other mail retrieval program downloading it from the server shortly after it arrives to the device.  This is actually very common if you use Microsoft Outlook to check your e-mail. Here's a link that explains it all.    Essentially, Outlook could be downloading the message from the mail server (default setup).  What you want to do is configure Outlook (or any other 3rd party mail retrieval program) to leave a copy of the message on the server or download a copy of the message from the server.  

This is a setting outside your phone setup. Your phone is a reflection of what's on the Comcast mailbox (or at least it should be). If you go to check your Comcast mailbox on the internet not using any mail fetching programs to see messages, and they are not coming to the phone, ignore the above paragraph and let me know. 

Please confirm if this helps you.

0 Likes
Nebular_Novice
Contributor - Level 1

Mike,

I hope tntcoop sees your reply to me since he had the problem. 

I don't have this problem because I don't use the native email app. 

You are correct that there is no setting on the Charge which can prevent the problem, but there should be a way to tell the native email app that you do NOT want it to sync with the mail server.  That would prevent the problem, and make a lot more sense than the current setup.

0 Likes