Contact List for Company Only contacts . >Subject line edited<
jelofson

I have a Droid X and use the Backup Assistant/Phone contacts vs. Google Contacts.  I have many business/organization contact entries that do not have a specific name associated with it.  Over time, these contacts are getting 'Joined' together and appear as Unknown.  However, now there are so many contacts Joined under Unkwown that I cannot Edit the contact and Un-Join them.  When I hit edit the phone attempts to open the contact for a few minutes then just goes back to the contact list.

1.  How can I successfully edit this Unknown contact and Un-Join all of these records?

2.  How can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks,

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Contact List for Company Only contacts - the Join from Hell
bearone21
Legend

ba & google contacts are totally different & the only way they get commingled is if you export one csv address book to the other.

ba will not duplicate what's in google contacts when it does a daily backup.

i've used ba forever & had to do the gmail account 2 years ago, this coming dec, when i got a 2 4 1 deal on 2 droid x's.

i've still got folks in ba that don't have email, just phone numbers & it's stored with my myverizon account.

i have found that gmail/contacts are easier to deal with & ba is an extra backup, in case something happens to the gmail account & can't be recovered..

i enter name/email, name email/phone on the pc, it's on the dx almost immediately.

fwiw:

not too long ago, i export/imported into ba from gmail & more than tripled entries in ba, what i think is happening to you.

some were name/phone, name/email & some name/email/phone & it took a while to eliminate/merge what i wanted to keep.

i like the way yahoo mail can fix duplicate entries, nothing in gmail i'm aware of.

to eliminate your issues, i'd make sure you have what you want in gmail from ba, then delete all entries in ba & only use gmail.

0 Likes
jelofson

Thanks for the reply.  Actually, I believe my problem is with the joining capability on the Droid X itself.  The contact software joins similar contacts, e.g., Jeff (BA), Jeff (FB) & Jeff(LI) would be joined together and displayed as on complex contact for Jeff.  However, what is happening is that this same functionality seems to be joining my contacts that don't have name information all together as one mega-joined contact which now is so big that it cannot be editted on the phone so that I can unjoin the incorrectly joined contacts.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

not automatically.

i've got a pop3 cox, yahoo & gmail & not aware of any joining of email capability on the dx without a 3rd party app.

use a pc, doing it on the phone is a pita.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I wasn't Aware of this either Bear i guess it's nice to know Smiley Happy) And OP just a Friendly reminder if your on the forum you might want to do some Editing! " **** " for that it might not be on here for Long.. b33

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jelofson,

I understand your concerns regarding the contacts join feature on your phone. Please visit the link below for instructions to separate your joined contacts.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48594/~/droid-x---contacts

It is my understanding that your device was designed to attempt to join new contacts with similar existing contacts when a new contact is detected and this feature cannot be edited.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes