Contacts program not working
wyo-dave
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a HTC incredible. Starting 2 days ago I cannot access my contact list.  The error msg is:The application People (process com.android.htccontacts) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.  Any ideas???

0 Likes
Re: Contacts program not working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having access to your contacts is important to keeping your connection wyo-dave, so I know why you're upset! Let's do some trouble-shooting to get this fixed so you don't have a hard time contacting friends and family. Are you using any contact application on your phone? If so try removing the application temporarily then readding it after you have ensured your contacts are backed up through either backup assistance or google.  Try performing a power cycle and battery pull. Also try clearing the cache and browser history on your device. This should help. Please keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
JMPhx

I've been having a similar issue for more than a week. I tried everything you suggested and still the process fails. Please advise.

0 Likes
FireDocUSMC

I have the same issue, processcom.android.htccontacts  stops unexpectedly same of both Contacts & Call History.  Very annoying to say the least, as I never know what next will come up short when attempting to launch as Voice Search, AirDroid, Norton, or other installed apps from Google Play.  And I have to repeat uninstall re-install.

I have the app Clean Master, and I cleared the Internet cache.  Also on occasion, the Incredible freezes, it is a hassle to remove the battery, I have a spare battery as well, and re-insert battery.  I checked my System is Currently Up to Date, Fast Boot enabled. 

Google Sync's with my PC's.  And who knows tomorrow Call History may work, same of Contacts...Truthfully, what we pay for a Phone and the Service, is frustrating enough and then not to have the phone work correctly...I rarely make calls or use my HTC, it remains on daily, half way through the cycle only 44 min of 700...sometimes when I first turn the Incredible on even with FastBoot Enabled, forever to boot, so no making a 911 call if I had to anytime soon.

And I am assuming at this point since I restarted, then powered off, removed the battery waited a minute, inserted the battery, powered up, still the same problem that I have to do a factory reset.  Thanks for your assistance...Doc

0 Likes
wyo-dave
Enthusiast - Level 1

I finally removed all my hotmail and outlook apps from my phone and now I can access my contact list again.  I add a Hot Email back to access my outlook account.  So far everything's working.  Thanks for all your input.

FireDocUSMC

p.s. I went through and cleared all Cache of all Apps, moved what I could from Phone to SD Card, and nothing worked..so I did a Factory Reset, and it is working normal, if you would like to call it that, as I never know what next to expect to change, not work.  It would be nice to be able to shut down without having to remove the battery when the phone freezes.

And to think the newer phones have integrated batteries/embedded non-removal.  SmartPhones maybe awesome the single greatest invention of the 20th Century, however are not dependable or reliable.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey JMPhx!

What a bizarre situation. But thanks so much for trying the suggested troubleshooting. Let's delve even deeper.

First off, when did this occur for you that you're now unable to access your contacts list? Something I always recommend at this stage is running your device in safe mode http://vz.to/p5eed2 . That will disable third party applications so we can see if an app is the root cause of this if you can access it. If not, we may need to looking into a hard reset http://vz.to/oOaRQt . Please ensure you have your device information backed up before processing this if you can. And let us know how this all works.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Davedr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, That seems to be the answer.

I too had this problem, I went in and deleted the hotmail and outlook apps and shut off the phone and restarted. my contacts now works perfect.

0 Likes