Couple of new issues with Froyo-Battery usage & screen lock...
4x4van
Enthusiast - Level 1

What a PITA...Now, if I set up a screen lock (pattern, PIN, or password), I FIRST must use the "Slide-Lock", and then input the pattern, PIN, or password.  Huh?  What's the point?  Both or neither?  I don't want both; it's just more crud to do in order to use my phone.  It used to work fine with 2.1; I had the option to use none, one, or both.  No longer.    Whose brilliant idea was that?  Here's a tip to all software engineers:  "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!"

Next issue; What happened to the Battery Usage information?  If I try to access that, I get a message that "The application settings (processcom.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again."

Finally, what is the new category in the security settings "Select device administrators"?  If I click on it, all that comes up is a message "No available device administrators"

0 Likes
Re: Couple of new issues with Froyo-Battery usage & screen lock...
Wildman
Legend

4x4van wrote:

What a PITA...Now, if I set up a screen lock (pattern, PIN, or password), I FIRST must use the "Slide-Lock", and then input the pattern, PIN, or password.  Huh?  What's the point?  Both or neither?  I don't want both; it's just more crud to do in order to use my phone.  It used to work fine with 2.1; I had the option to use none, one, or both.  No longer.    Whose brilliant idea was that?  Here's a tip to all software engineers:  "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!"

Next issue; What happened to the Battery Usage information?  If I try to access that, I get a message that "The application settings (processcom.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again."

Finally, what is the new category in the security settings "Select device administrators"?  If I click on it, all that comes up is a message "No available device administrators"

1.  What do you mean PITA?

2.  The option to disable the slider lock screen has been removed in the 2.2 update so there isn't any way to totally disable it at this time.

3.  Battery Usage Information is in Settings/Battery Manager and then click the battery to see the Battery Usage information, if device is FC did you hard reset after doing 2.2 update because this is one of many issues that remains from update process, backup and do hard reset and this usually resolves this issue.  But for some this hasnt helped to display this menu, I think this may be update bug really because mine only work some of the time.

4.  I locked at the Select device administrators setting also but I am not really sure what its for, I am guessing its a security feature that can be configured to make a individual require a password to access any major system file to avoid any unknown modifications.

0 Likes
4x4van
Enthusiast - Level 1

PITA stands for "Pain In The {word filter avoidance}"!  Actually, you CAN disable the slider lock; by disabling the screen lock.  Which is exactly the point...You have to use either both, or neither.  Again, IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!

Regarding the battery usage display, after a reset, it does seem to be working now.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

4x4van wrote:

PITA stands for "Pain In The {word filter avoidance}"!  Actually, you CAN disable the slider lock; by disabling the screen lock.  Which is exactly the point...You have to use either both, or neither.  Again, IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!

Regarding the battery usage display, after a reset, it does seem to be working now.

1. Ok I get PITA now...:smileysurprised::smileyvery-happy: 

2. If you are able to disable the slider you are one of the only ones that has been able to do so since 2.2 update, the option isnt even listed in settings and even with password lock disabled the slide to unlock always run, I disabled it with a app from market called 'Lock Screen Switch" because I use Widget Locker to customize my lock screen but it doesnt work on start up, but once you close it at startup it wont reopen until reboot again.

3. Glad that the reset worked for you on the Battery Information issue..

0 Likes
4x4van
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hmm...strange.  Although I don't actually have the option to disable the "slide-lock", it goes away if I have the "screen-lock" set to none.  No matter how long the phone is inactive, when I hit "home" to wake the phone up, it comes right up to the home screen with no slide, code, pin, etc needed.  This is true even if I turn the phone completely off and then turn it on.

However, if I set the "Screen Lock" to any of the 3 options (pattern, PIN, password), then I must start by using the "slide Lock", and then input  the screen lock (pattern, PIN, or password). 

For me, anyway, it's either both, or none.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I just thought of something, it was reported if you had the slider disabled before you did update it usually holds that setting and does not enable again, by chance do you know if this may be the case with your device, also what is you lock screen time out time set at, maybe this may be the trick..... I really would love to figure this one out because I really want to disable the slider altogether but haven't had ant luck doing this.

0 Likes
4x4van
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, in fact, I did have the "slider" disabled prior to the update, since I used the "pattern" lock and felt that the slider and pattern were redundant..  

The lock screen timeout is currently set at "when screen is off", but I've tried the other settings and it doesn't change the situation.  If I use the screen lock (pattern, pin, or password), then the slider and the screen lock both appear based on that timeout setting.  If I set the screen lock to "none", then neither (screen lock & slider) appears, regardless of the timeout setting.

So you're saying that on your phone, the slider is always active, even if youdon't use a pattern, Pin, or password?  That's weird, if my screen lock is set to "none", then the slider no longer appears either.  For me, it's both or none.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

That is correct, without the application I am using the slider lock screen will come up every time I turn screen off or restart no matter what the settings is set to for lock screen, other users on many other forums I have scanned have been reporting the same issue, this is where I learned of the application the disable slider with a app from the market.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Well I can now say that what I thought about the slider lock screen has been verified, I just recieved my replacement Droid X, the device came with 2.1 still installed so thios time I disabled the slider option before I did the 2.2 update and now my device us doing just like your device which is just what I wanted for my device, I now do not have to run  any extra apps to disable the slider.

0 Likes
DoneDidDroidX
Contributor - Level 1

The battery force close is a problem Moto is looking into. It actually happened to me today. But after a couple tries it went back to normal.  On Moto's forum site they are asking people to explain the circumstances of the force close so they can look into it.

The Admin thing is for if your phone is set up in a business environment with a company administrator. Without that it will show up as yours showed.

0 Likes