D2G International, WiFi Not Working
Dabrits
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm currently visiting South Korea for business and will be here for a while.  However, as soon as I got to my hotel, my Droid 2 Global's WiFi funtion wouldn't work.  I know the WiFi is working because I'm on it right now on my laptop along with hundreds of other people.

The notification bar shows that I've connected to a network (it is the white wifi icon).  But it never turns blue to indicate that I actually have valid conneectivity.  Also, I have a blue triangle next to the wifi icon.  I think that is a roaming icon, but I'm not sure.

I don't want to be able to make calls, I just want wifi.  I've tried virtually every combination of settings in wireless & networks, as well as battery & data manager.  I've even tried putting it in airplane mode, then turning on wifi.  I've tried multiple wifi netowrks too.  Believe it or not,m I've even tried other SIM cards (my phone was previously unlocked for my trip to China, wifi worked while i was in china, it also worked regardless of the SIM card I had in it).  I just happened to have my old China Mobile SIM card so I tried that, nothing.  I even tried doing everything without a SIM card in there to see if that would work.  The bottom line is that nothing has worked!  When I was in China and everything worked, it was before the gingerbread update, and now that I have gingerbread it doesn't work.  So I don't know if the update somehow prevented me from being able to use wifi without using a mobile network.

Before I got here, while I was in the states, I had no problems with wifii whatsoever.  I'm tempted to go buy a South Korean SIM card and put that in the phone to see if it works.  But I don't want to go buy a SIM card for a mobile network, when all I want is wifi capability.

Please help!!!

0 Likes
Re: D2G International, WiFi Not Working
Dabrits
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bump to the top!  Still need help figuring this out.

Apparently, South Korea does not use GSM, but rather uses a CDMA/CDMA2K network.  I'm curious if since my phone isn't activated on any South Korean network, it simply won'y let me connect to any wifi.  I've tried making a call using any and every possible setting, and I can't even place an international roaming call.  Also, *228 doesn't work.

Please help!

0 Likes