Re: DROID Incredible in a cycle of crashing
KC629

My phone starting crashing on day 15 of getting it. I have done everything possible, nothing helps. Verizion has been completely useless. All they keep asking is if I would like to upgrade to a new phone. Yes, my phone is almost two years old now, but why should I have to buy a new phone when the original never worked since I got it. I have been on the phone with them for hours and no one has really even tried to help. The problem is this phone is garbage; HTC knows it and Verizon knows it. Neither one cares or has made any attempts to fix it. I am lucky my contract is up in 1 month. I have been with Verizon for over 15 years, but after the way I have been treated and the horrible customer service, I will be switching to AT&T (it will also be cheaper for the same plan).

0 Likes
paul1701
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Incredible (not incredible 2) was crashing more frequently until it 'bricked' and I was forced to do a hard reset and upgraded operating system to 2.3.4 from 2.2. I had previously written down all my apps so over the next few days downloaded them from the android/google play market. I did this about two months ago and this 2 year old phone is doing much better.

I removed the SD card before hard reset. I don't know if it was necessary but I was able to save most of my personal/custom app data.

I still have issue with battery life  It seems to drain fast when using it for internet browsing..   

0 Likes
par
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has been an ongoing problem for many of us.  I was told at the Verizon store today that my only option was to upgrade and start a new contract.  I did not ask for the up date that seems to be causing the problem and I absolutely will not renew my contract and buy a new phone because of their upgrade.  It seems from reading the other comments that the new phone is doing the same thing.  I wonder how Verizon would like us to boycott this company until they fix the problem they caused?

0 Likes
pma60

My incredible 2 has just started crashing as well, right after installing their update. The update itself erased all of my contacts too. This is combined with Verizon informing me that their $100 every 2 year promotion that i was promised when I bought the phone is no longer being supported. So my options are buy a new phone without the promised incentive or stick with something that will soon be a brick. Does anybody have better experiences with ATT?

0 Likes
skywayman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I contacted HTC about this and received this response.  So far (4 days!) it has worked, but it does wipe your phone.

Thank you for contacting HTC technical support.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing with your Incredible since performing the update. I can understand your frustration and would be happy to assist you with this.

At this time you will need to Factory reset the device through Recovery mode. A factory reset removes all information from your device and returns it to a state just like it has never been used before. All contacts, messages, emails, third-party applications, etc. will need to be reinstalled after performing a factory reset. Please remember to back up any important information to your PC or SD card prior to performing the reset.

With the phone turned off, press and hold the Volume down button, and then briefly press the Power button. The phone should vibrate and then boot to a white screen. Navigate to Recovery using the Volume controls and use the Power button to select it.

The screen will now change to show a phone on its back, with the update symbol above it. Momentarily it will change to an image of a phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark. Press and hold volume up then press the power button. You will see something like:

e:can’t open /cache/recovery/command

e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists)

This is normal.

A new screen will show that will give you options such as; Reboot system now, Wipe Cache partition, and Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Navigate to “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” using the Volume Down button and select with Power. Navigate to “Yes” using the Volume Down button and select with Power. Device will perform factory reset and then return you to the main recovery menu.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you Matthew. If the information I have provided above does not resolve your issue please contact me at your earliest convenience and I will continue to work to assist you.

If you need additional assistance please do not hesitate to contact me again by email, or you can also reach us by telephone at 1-866-449-8358. Thank you for contacting HTC and have a great evening.

0 Likes
hask12

Just so everyone understands, the droid incredible is not a crummy phone and when it first came ou tit was considered ground breaking but it is old. All that aside my incredible worked fine until three weeks ago when I got the so called update issued by HtC and approved by Verizon. Once the update was installed the phone couldn't reboot.  It tried about 15x nearly wiping out my battery. I finally had to stop it waited about an hour tried again. It rebooted about 5x and finally came up but the phone wasn't working properly.  Constantly crashing, freezing up, rebooting etc.  Called Verizon who called HTC but didn't get any immediate answers. Two days later I wake up and my phone has been wiped clean.  All my apps are gone even sd card has been erased.  To say I was annoyed is to put it mildly.  Never was asked by anyone if it was okay to do a factory reset. Started looking at the phone and guess what it's still not working right.  Crashing freezing up etc. Called Verizon and they would send me an almost new incredible. Get it in the mail and once phone is activated a message comes up saying an update is available.  Well I figure before I start installing apps again I might as well see what the update does. Installation of update goes okay but immediately the phone starts freezing up again. Hoping this is just temporary I once again start installing my apps but as time goes on it's obvious that the replacement phone isn't working right either. I call verizon to complain and and ask if they would be willing to let me upgrade since I'm due for one in 3 months.  No go which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion since they win in that kind of situation.  So I sit here waiting for verizon's latest answer which is to send me a Droid Incredible 2 which i don't really want, don't feel like screwing around with and will only use for 3 months until I can upgrade.  Verizon admits they screwed my phone and they have in a way tried to fix things but I'm doing all the leg work, reinstalling everything and now getting a phone that I don't have much use for other then that I need a phone.  Seems to me it would have been a lot simpler to let me upgrade and resolve this problem once and for all especially since I'm a long time customer who has never complained before except when there are billing mistakes.  Hopefully the 2 I will be receiving works right, but i don't think this whole mess was really resolved properly since I didn't do anything wrong here. I mean I had some important stuff on my phone when they wiped it clean. Why should we have to do things like factory resets, reinstalling apps, when this whole mess wasn't our fault?

0 Likes
lea22

Is this boot loop problem with all Droids or only the original Droid Incredible?

I wanted to upgrade the Droid Incredible I purchased in June 2010 to gain some new features and a longer battery life when the boot loop started at the beginning of July 2012. I have been OK with booting into safe mode and rebooting to normal mode every morning since. Unfortunately this morning was a bad morning and I had to take the battery out and reboot a couple of times when the phone froze.

I am considering  purchasing the Droid Incredible 4G LTE but would like to know if it also has the boot loop problem?

0 Likes
hask12

My understanding is this problem all started withe the update Verizon issue in early July.  With all the reviews I've read I have seen nothing with boot problems regarding the new droid incredible 4g. the problem with the new incredible is that it might be outdated a lot faster then say the Galaxy S III

0 Likes
Genuine_Faux

My DINC started a reboot loop right after the last OTA update.  I seem to have fixed it, albeit accidentally.  See my post https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/846895#846895

0 Likes
VZWirelessCustomer

I do think that the crashing has to do with the recent upgrade of software on the device.  Perhaps the upgrade has a few bugs in it that hopefully HTC will fix.  After my software was upgraded was when I started to notice problems.

0 Likes