Re: Data Roaming in Japan with the Android Bionic - or not...
DavidSchwarz

Thanks for the updated information. I looked at the map of CDMA services that I was originally directed to (link below) and it looks like there is pretty good CDMA coverage in Japan - and certainly in Kobe.

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/traveling_to/Asia-Pacific/Japan.html

0 Likes
Kiroa

Yeah, certainly looks like Tokyo is included in the coverage as well... but it seems it's not supported Smiley Sad

0 Likes
sds230

I am in Kyoto now and data is not working here either. Everywhere I have

been has shown coverage on the CMDA map. I have tried to call the customer

service line several times and I always get a busy signal.

0 Likes
Vegeta_GG42
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is because only 4 or 5 Verizon phones are capable of international roaming, Droid 2 Global, Droid 3, and the following with an update that is coming out within the next week or two:  Droid 4, Razr, Razr Maxx, and Rezound.  This also requires international roaming package provisioning on your account as well.  Other than this, I would recommend a prepaid from Japan, or you may use WiFi, which a lot of businesses in Kyoto provide it for their customers.

*Edit*, also for CDMA, Japan runs on a frequency that most of our phones don't support, but their LTE is on the same frequency as ours for the most part.

0 Likes
DavidSchwarz

I too finally spoke with a knowledgeable representative yesterday. In short, Japan uses GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) for data and text, but most phones (including my Android Bionic) are only capable of CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) communications. In order for a phone to function in Japan, it has to support GSM. Verizon currently has four phones available that can communicate via GSM: The Apple 4S; HTC Trophy; Blackberry Bold and the Blackberry Torch.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some of the Android phones on Verizon Wireless support GSM roaming. For example, the Droid 3 is a world phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes