Deleting unwanted apps
keef
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Droid 4 (which I love). I'm posting in this forum because I don't see a Droid 4 forum.

My problem is with all these apps that came with the phone, which I did not ask for and do not want. They are constantly begging to be updated, but frankly I don't want to use any space on the phone for these apps. I have tried to delete them but it looks as if I can't. I'm sure that's not right and that I'm just looking in the wrong place. Does anyone have suggestions on where else to look to delete apps like Verizon Video, Motoactv, MOG music and on and on?

0 Likes
Re: Deleting unwanted apps
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A search of the community would have found similar threads on the same topic.

The short answer is, NO, you can't remove the pre-installed applications on the android phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Keef99

True, a search of the community did indeed produce similar threads. None of them included any indication of awareness by Verizon of how unsatisfying its bloatware policy is to its user base. My intention of bringing my own question to the board is to make sure Verizon doesn't mistake silence for acceptance of its user-unfriendly policy.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then you should take up this cause against ALL the carriers in the United States and even some abroad. They all have bloatware on their carrier branded phones. It hasn't changed for two and half years. A heck of a fight to change it now.

Those applications aren't using any CPU resources unless YOU use them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
keef
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I agree it would be a heck of a fight. Odd for a consumer services company like Verizon to subject its customers to this. True, the apps may not be using CPU resources, but since I am being asked to update various bloatware programs once or twice a week, that counts as my personal resources.

Do you know if the storage required for these programs is also the storage I use for photos or video that I take with the phone? I ask, because I have a 25-second clip of some of our new lambs that I would love to email but the phone tells me there is not enough space to do so.

Many thanks.

keef
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also wanted to reply to another gentleman, who appears to have deleted his helpful note. He wrote:

"These are a source of revenue for Verizon.  They could omit them and charge you more for your phone if you prefer that."

Hard to tell online when someone is being serious or not. I have a bunch of great ideas for Verizon, along the lines of his suggestion. For example, Verizon could turn around and sell my personal information to Nigerian scamsters and use that revenue to cut their fees to me. That's a good idea, huh?

My point is that personal electronics area customer-driven business. There are too many competitors and too many ways for consumers to organize for any company to promulgate customer-unfriendly practices for very long. If we speak up.

0 Likes
garycohensr
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can delete only SOME of the apps by clicking on the Apps Icon, press (lightly) and hold on each app you want to delete.  You will be given the option to either "hide" or "delete" selected app.  I found this answer on a discussion for another phone, but it works for the Droid 4 I Promise.  My issue now is that I don't know how to delete my email account from my phone, and icons for favorites under phone contacts has all of the sudden disappeared.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello garycohensr. We want you to be able to get the most out of your Droid 4! If you are referring to your g-mail account, I'm sorry you will be unable to delete it, as it is required for an Android device. Are you accessing your contacts by selecting the "phone" icon? The "favorites" option should be right next to "contacts." Do you recall making changes to these settings?

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
mobileuser123
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, we are talking about the Gazillion useless apps that verizon installs on phones that cant be removed.

RenaLyon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have suggested (multiple times) that they package the apps and let the user choose which pac they might enjoy. I am still getting over the football game that was on the previous android system; hated it b/c when scrolling if landed on it, it would start up and so had to wait for it to load; stop; unload process... And I HATE football!  At least give me a chance to think you care and sell me on apps about books, movies, arts! They get $$, I don't have to waste 2min of my life waiting for a football game to start so I can shut it down.

At this point the ONLY reason I am still at VZW is them being the only carrier w/ signal back home where my family lives. At the end of this contract (especially since we will loose the unlimited data), we are changing. I have been with VZW for over a decade, they used to have one of the best service/support around...seems like ever since they get the iPhone it just keeps getting worse.

(and no offense meant to football fans; you like balls, I like books Np, just means we get to make 2x as many app shysters rich if VZW changed to bloat-pacs)

0 Likes