Re: Do I have to lose my Alltel Plan for the Droid
Donsell
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you already have a smartphone?  I think that might be the difference.  I can go the MyVerizon and see the Droid and it says it's compatible with my current plan.  But I already own a smart phone on an Alltel plan.  I can understand then not allowing you to change to an old Alltel smart phone plan, but if you already have a smart phone I think you're gold.

It's 9:00am here, Best Buy opens at 10:00.   I'll confirm that I could get it and keep my Alltel plan when I get it. 

0 Likes
Donsell
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got my Droid from Best Buy. It activated on my Alltel account with no changes.  I already had a nationwide calling + data so that might be what's required. 

0 Likes
NXLDesigns

Can you say exactly which plan you have?

And did you pay full retail at Best Buy, or did you get the discount for signing a new contract? I'm trying to order mine for the $199, but it's asking me to change my smartphone plan.

P.S: I'm using a HTC Diamond on a Alltel Freedom Plan with Axcess.

0 Likes
itoe429

My original alltel plan was Family Smartpack 500 with 10 in my circle.  This plan comes with 500 shared minutes for the lines, and unlimited web access for the primary line.  Both lines include unlimited picture messaging, text and mobile to mobile.  It is my understanding that the second line cannot be altered to get the Droid because it does not have Data.  I upgraded to the Droid on Friday.  There was no action taken on my other phone line since it's not time to upgrade it.  I did not have to change anything.  My bill went up $1 because the insurance for Verizon is $1 more than the Alltel insurance was.  I checked on the Verizon FAQs for former Alltel customers, and as long as you DO NOT try to alter your current plan it will remain at the same rate whenever you renew.  The insurance was more but it is an optional addition. 

0 Likes
jaja

No. I have an Alltel plan and bought the Droid yesterday.  Nothing changed at all on my plan.

0 Likes
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

Unless you purchase the DROID for full Retail price OR you obtain one from Ebay/Craigs List, which would be considered CPE (Customer Provided Equipment) you will be required to change to a qualifying Nationwide Calling Plan and add a Data Plan as all PDA/Smartphone/Blackberry's must be on a qualifying data plan as well.   

0 Likes
Aflack143

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to share...

I just ordered my DROID from Verizon Online today and did not have to change my current Alltel 500 plan. (previously had a BB Pearl) If they were going to require me to change out of my alltel package that would not have worked for me. I like saving a few pennies with my current plan while also allowed to still have 10 friends and family (which seems to have been bumped to 11 with the merger :smileyhappy: ) The comparative Verizon plans do not come close to offering the same thing for the same price!

0 Likes
Backnblack

Thimgs change....Alltel coundn't stay in bussiness......Nothing is free.

0 Likes