Droid 2 Global overheating / trouble charging
talika

My mother is the second line on my family plan, and recently upgraded to the Droid 2 Global (the beginning of June). She has noticed that the phone heats up a lot, around the battery (just under the camera). 

It usually overheats when she uses it for a period of time (ex: playing a game), and also sometimes overheats while charging. 

She has also noticed a few problems with charging the phone as well. We don't think it's her charger, as I have plugged my Droid Incredible 2 into her charger and it works fine. She will plug her phone in and it will not charge, it will just say to connect the charger, but  the battery will not charge, even after an hour of being plugged in like this, yet when you unplug the charger, it makes a noise acknowledging that it has disconnected. 

She brought the phone to Verizon recently to see if they could do anything for her. The guy at the desk told her that it was probably overheating because she had wifi turned on, and that it was also probably because of the charger.  Again, the charger works fine with my phone, and her phone overheats even when not plugged in.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Droid 2 Global overheating / trouble charging
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

talika-It sounds as though you have done quite a bit of troubleshooting on your with relation to your mother's phone overheating.

You brought up a couple of points 1.) It usually overheats when she uses it for a period of time (ex: playing a game) and 2.)also sometimes overheats while charging

It is definitely normal for the phone to get warm while playing games as well as when charging BUT is the phone getting warm or hot? If it is hot to the touch, it could very well be a battery issue. But most importantly, since the phone isn't charging properly it sounds as though your mother may need to get her device replaced with our Device Replacement Program.

If you have not gotten this issue resolved, please PM me and I will be happy to assist you.

turtle2k
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same exact thing happens to my D2G.  It overheats then reboots.  Its way to hot to put against my face.  I am not using WIFI.  When I say hot I mean I am worried this thing will catch fire.  At some point its stops charging and reboots.  I think this must be a safety measure so it would not catch on fire?  At least there is that.  I see reports all over the internet of users complaining about this very thing with D2G.  Google it and see for yourself. 

TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

turtle2k

A HOT device is never a good thing. Have you taken it to the store or called in yet in order for us to look into warranty replacement options? Please follow up and let me know. I don't want you to risk an injury with this phone.

Tamara H.

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Cheermed
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Droid 2 Global did the same thing, it got so hot I couldn't touch it and even the extended battery only lasted an hour or so after charging. I was traveling and stopped in a Verizon store and they exchanged it on the spot (it was still under warrenty). This is a glitch Moterola needs to address before someone's phone explodes from an overheated battery.

richk55
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have an overheating problem with my Droid 3 Global.  I called tech support and they said it was a faulty battery and sent me a new one.  Didn't help.  I took it to the local Verizon store where the tech told me that I had too many apps running in the background that were fighting with operating system functions causing excessive battery drain.  One of those apps is Battery booster which has a overheat alarm. The other is Lookout, an antivirus app.  The tech said cell phone don't get viruses. I uninstalled the apps right in the store but when I got home and was on a 15 minute phone call the temp went up to 105 degrees.  For the next two days the battery lost charge quicker than previously.

marisamarisa
Enthusiast - Level 1

Out of curiosity .. what size memory cards are in all the phones that are overheating? I had identical problems. Once, I woke up to the phone next to me boiling hot.. i had to use a t-shirt to quick take it to the refrigerator (after I removed the battery). It was scalding! I went immediately to Verizon store where, without hesitation, they overnighted a new one to me. A refurbished one... it wouldn't even stayed powered on, sent back got ANOTHER one  which seemed a little buggy but I didn't care. I also had a brand new, better batteryBP7X in it. It was fine for about 5 months then it died constantly, too hot to hold, lagged & delayed, finally it literally just about quit working. This was a month ago. I switched out the memory card. I had an 8G in there (filled with music, docs, apps, backups & over 1000 pictures) and I put in a 16G card, only 4 songs, still over 1000 pictures and it has been running smoooooothly. Much, much better than it EVER did even out of the box. So I'm curious if memory card size has any bearing.....?

0 Likes
jejouelaflute
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Droid 2 global won't charge...I have to hold the cord a certain way and then it will charge.  It also gets really hot.  This is the second one that has done the same exact thing.  I know it's not the charger because it works perfectly fine on my work phone.  It is a flaw in the Motorola Droid 2 global for sure.  I turned in my first one on the Asurion insurance and paid $50 for them to send me a refurbished one.  It's worked ok for a while and now this one is doing just what the one I sent back did.  So annoying when you use the GPS/mapping for work and it dies on you and you can't charge it...  They need to fix the problem on these phones because other than that I love the phone...

0 Likes
nlrausmc

Hello,

My phone has been changed 3/4 times and still overheats, heating in these kind of phones is understandable but when you are unable to bring the phone to your face due to the heat dissipation it creates, this is a big problem...I believe the manufacturer should completely recall all of these phones if they ever find a problem with them or exchange them for something else, another, better non-overheating device.

Motorola was my choice due their history in this market, due to this experience I am not ever considering another Motorola phone ever again...This should be worrying news to Verizon since you are the only major carrier of Motorola devices.

I refuse to go again to a Verizon store to get a replacement, which will also overheat.

0 Likes