Droid 2 keyboard not working
jscrawley
Enthusiast - Level 3

A while ago I had a droid 2 and loved it except for one fact. The keyboard would constantly freeze up on me. It only happened when I would use punctuation it seemed though. I tried a battery pull, different texting apps and even a factory reset. The reset seemed to work until I got my new phone, the Gnexus. Now a few friends and my mom are having the same issues with their droid2. Does anyone know anything about this? Or what can be done to fix it without doing a factory reset? If it helps the texting app I was using was handcent.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid 2 keyboard not working
Mama2KBR
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used to have the same problem. Here's the fix. When that happens you need to do a few things. No factory reset is ever required either. I never had to do one.

1. Press the Menu key and then Manage apps. Under the "All" tab scroll down to the "Multi-touch keyboard." Clear data. Clear cache. (Anything that can be cleared. Haha!) Force stop it. All that jazz. Go "back to home."
  2. Next. Press the Menu key again and this time choose Settings. Scroll down to Language & Keyboard. Select Multi-touch keyboard. (Underneath it should read "Multi-touch keyboard settings")  The following are what I have MY personal settings to as I've found that these are what caused my keyboard to "unfreeze."  Or I should say, when I "unchecked" a few things, my keyboard no longer froze.

On-screen keyboard:

1. Show suggestions - Checked
  2. Auto-correct errors - NOT checked
  3. Auto-punctuate - Checked
  4. Vibrate on keypress - NOT checked (Note: This had nothing to do with my keyboard freezing. It just annoyed the snot out of me when it vibrated every time I used it! )
  5. Sound on keypress - NOT checked (Note: Same annoyance factor as vibrate on keypress thing. Has no effect on freezing.)
  6. Auto-capitalization - Checked

Device keyboard:

2. Auto-Correct errors - NOT checked

General Settings:

1. Highlight words - Checked
  2. Next word prediction - NOT checked (THIS one is IMPORTANT. DO NOT have this one checked. BIG factor on freezing issue.)

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Re: Droid 2 keyboard not working
Mama2KBR
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used to have the same problem. Here's the fix. When that happens you need to do a few things. No factory reset is ever required either. I never had to do one.

1. Press the Menu key and then Manage apps. Under the "All" tab scroll down to the "Multi-touch keyboard." Clear data. Clear cache. (Anything that can be cleared. Haha!) Force stop it. All that jazz. Go "back to home."
  2. Next. Press the Menu key again and this time choose Settings. Scroll down to Language & Keyboard. Select Multi-touch keyboard. (Underneath it should read "Multi-touch keyboard settings")  The following are what I have MY personal settings to as I've found that these are what caused my keyboard to "unfreeze."  Or I should say, when I "unchecked" a few things, my keyboard no longer froze.

On-screen keyboard:

2. Auto-correct errors - NOT checked
  3. Auto-punctuate - Checked
  4. Vibrate on keypress - NOT checked (Note: This had nothing to do with my keyboard freezing. It just annoyed the snot out of me when it vibrated every time I used it! )
  5. Sound on keypress - NOT checked (Note: Same annoyance factor as vibrate on keypress thing. Has no effect on freezing.)
  6. Auto-capitalization - Checked

Device keyboard:

2. Auto-Correct errors - NOT checked

General Settings:

1. Highlight words - Checked
  2. Next word prediction - NOT checked (THIS one is IMPORTANT. DO NOT have this one checked. BIG factor on freezing issue.)

I hope this helps!