Droid 2 turns on by itself
jasper2347

I've had my droid 2 for awhile now and have not experienced any unusual problems.  A glitch here and there but altogether the phone has worked fine.  I recently downloaded the Android software update which is identified as version 2.3.3.  My system version is identified as 4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.us.  I now find that my phone, after it has been powered down using the usual procedure of holding down the on/off button and then clicking the "power off" menu option, will occasionally turn itself back on all by itself.  Sometimes this happens within a few minutes of shutting the phone down and other times it may occur an hour or so later.

I suspect the problem is associated with the software update since I did not have this problem previously.  Has anyone else had this experience and/or does anyone know how to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: Droid 2 turns on by itself
ba_rt

Jasper, you are not alone, Droid 3 has this problem too and the latest update did not fix it.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-DROID-2-by-Motorola/Droid-3-powers-itself-on/td-p/602690

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Jasper2347,

I know an un-prompted power up can be frustrating and inconveniencing.  Motorola is aware of this opportunity with your model device and are working on a resolution asap.  I do not have an exact date, but I can say more than likely this resolution will come in a form of a software update.  Thank you for your patience.    

0 Likes
MikeL37

Please let us know when the software fix is available.   My wife's phone does this every day since the last software update.

0 Likes
klmaine9

My droid 2 started doing the same thing after the gingerbread update.  I called tech support several times and went thru all the steps up to and including a hard reset.  It still did it.  After several more calls to tech support they swiched out my phone for a certified like new droid 2.  The replacement phone is still doing the restart and no, I have not reloaded any of the apps that I had on there previously.  So it is nothing that I have added.  Sometimes after the the phone restarts I will turn it off again and it usually stays off and other times I pull the battery at night just so I don't have to worry about it coming back on.  I hope they get this fixed soon because it is annoying and inconvienent.

0 Likes
Sorry I'd b of no help, did have a simple question.
TigsnUnis

Does the Global Droid 2 freeze quite a bit w/out updates? If so, where do you get updates and how? Do you got to pay for them? Sorry still learning the ropes on the Global Droid 2. Thanks for the input.

TigsnUnis

0 Likes
dhcopp

I am having the same problem.

0 Likes
Re: Droid 2 turns on by itself - Large Issue
KDroid2

Droid 2 turning on after power down is a problem not receiving sufficient attention by Verizon/Moto.  My D2 started self turn-on after an automatic operating system (OS) update.  Did all the things Verizon TS recommended including reinstallation of the OS w/o correcting the problem.  Verizon issued a new phone - it has the exact same problem/No Fix.  I run no 3rd party apps.  The problem appears to be in the phone OS. 

After proper power down the phone turns on anywhere from immediately to 15 minutes later.  It would seem that an instruction set in the firmware is activating the phone or the OS is set to restart.

Android 2.3.3

System 4.5.601

BTW, my daughter has a DroidX.  She is on her 5th phone in 11 months.  Her phones turn off , continually lockup and have various sorts of random issues.  An other carrier is under consideration.

0 Likes
JW-Droid2Glbl

I recently got the system update and now have the same problem.  In addition to getting woken up in the middle of the night because of new mail arriving, I had the thing turn back on in the middle of a Philharmonic concert!! Talk about inconvenient.  It ended up disturbing hundreds of people and almost getting me kicked out!!

0 Likes
fidolido

I have the same problem but here's what I did to make life a bit more bearable.... I put it in AIRPLANE mode and charge it or leave it. Also, because of the magnetic issue, I no longer carry it in a pouch.....

but until it's fixed, it's a solution worth trying for the time being. Due to all the problems, I doubt if I'd get me another droid.

G

0 Likes