I've been using the D3 for just about a week and thought these comments may be helpful for those considering the phone.
I miss not having a keyboard using a DX and I was looking forward to the D3. I use my phone for job site/meeting notes and typing in landscape is fine for me on screen but the text boxes are just too small and hard to navigate. I don't use my phone for games, movies, take the occational photo with it, but basically I need the phone and internet. I'm planning to send the phone back to Verizon within the 14 day trial although I really wanted to like it, there are too many annoyances that may or may not be fixed later. Two years is a long time to be stuck with a phone that has issues from Day 1.
On the plus side the phone is well made. Incoming and outgoing sound are good. The screen icons and text are smaller than I expected compared to the DX considering the screen is only 0.3" smaller. Keyboard is terrific. The pentile screen looks fine to me; it isn't as vivid as the DX but absolutely fine for a phone screeen.
1. Battery is a big problem. I'm not near a charger all day and by 2pm my (extended) battery is very low (15%). I carry a second battery so I can just swap it out but poor battery life is really an issue for me. My DX would get me until about 4pm before it would be yellow. I'm really not willing to adjust the way I work and fiddle with setting all day to use the D3.
2. The battery door is horrible. I'll swap batteries probably three or four times a week and I'm not sure this battery door is going to last.
3. The phone is laggy. There seems to be delays on the home screen. I'll hit the back or home button a few times before I see the screen change. When switching to the home screens sometimes it takes a while for the widgets to populate. As for the icons, not sure if I'm pressing these long enough but they highlight showing they been pressed but I'll need to press again for the action to occur.
4. I've also had at least two calls where I press End Call and nothing happens.
5. I don't mind the blur widgets so much but too much screen real estate is wasted with the widget title.
6. Stupid things like the phone shipping with a front facing camera but gtalk or skype (the two apps on the phone) don't support it. It isn't such a big deal for me but really, this is the no brainer stuff that should work to make it feel like a finished product.
7. The camera app is slow. I got a "failed to initialize app" message after taking a couple pictures.
8. No FM Radio App. I had to sideload one and that is an old one. In NYC we have more stations than the old app has slots.
9. When using bluetooth and the phone is in my pocket, when a call comes in it gets answered automatically. It seems like the screen is activating and hitting "answer" in my pocket. I have the option set to keep the phone off when in my pocket but either it doesn't work or being in my top shirt pocket isn't enough to have the pocket detector activate.
10. Too much junk software loaded on the phone. I have no idea what most of the apps do and all it makes me want to do is root so I can delete it and clean up the screens so I can find my apps.
I frequent the Motorola forums but these seem to be outstanding issues.
I agree with all the comments made - especially speed and battery life - just awful.
I am now in week 2 of switching from a BB Storm (my wife too), and heard that the Droid 3 had a very fast processor plus great apps. If this is fast compared to other Droid phones, then I can't imagine what the othes are like.
Apps are very interesting, but the phone is a complete slug compared to my BB. There is a 3 to 8 second lag in switching activities, and switching often takes 2 or 3 taps as well. The camer app is downright horrible in that regard.
My wife hates hers (I set her up last weekend, as I wanted to get mine set up so I could help her) - syncing with Exchange is virtually impossible.
I am at my 14th day now and may send the thing back tonite, and re-activate our BB Storms.
I don't care about games or social networks (doesn't anyone have a real job anymore) - but need reliable, bulletproof email and no annoying delays.
BB should have nothing to fear from these, but people keep buying them.
I had such high hopes , but I am so disappointed.
Add to my list, GPS Navigation was poor yesterday. Same place I use my DX without any issues. Seems from other forums it is working fine for most people so maybe my phone is a dud.
I really hate to send it back but I just started recharging my DX. Tuesday it goes in the mail.
mgerbasio - you got it right on all points.
I have been disappointed with the phone as well... coming from a damaged Droid 2 that worked well (a few quirks, but I liked it), but this Droid 3 (third iteration???) - in many ways it is WORSE.
I bought it to video chat (Skype) with son that just went to college. VERIZON should be ASHAMED of themselves for releasing a phone with a front facing camera that does not work with video chat software. That really torks me.
I have had it restart without warning, issues with ending calls, and having an app that went wild and ran down the battery power to nothing in 30 min. NOT ELEGANT like it should be.
My description of the DROID 3:
- Is this the THIRD iteration????
VERIZON - what is your response here? It should be a RED-FACED apology, followed by real action to address these issues, and address the customers now trapped within the cost / contract of this phone.
Annoyed and disgusted. This phone was not ready to be released.
I definitely understand your frustration and apologize for any inconvenience regarding the front facing camera on your Droid 3 not working properly while using the third party application, Skype.
Issues with the front facing camera have been reported and is being investigated as we speak. I understand the importance of keeping in touch with your son while away at college and I assure you we are working diligently to resolve as soon as possible.
Once this has been resolved an update will be sent out to all phones and you will receive an alert on your phone advising that the update is available to download. At this time we do not have a date when the update will become available but rest assure that we are doing everything possible to make it as soon as possible.
I appreciate your patience.