Droid 3 drops Bluetooth calls
jmeinert

I have a Droid 3 paired with my 2010 GM truck.  After about 3 minutes into a call the phone/truck drops the BT connection.  The call is still active, but to continue the call I need to switch off the bluetooth or put switch to speakerphone. 

Anybody else have this problem and/or know a solution? 

0 Likes
Re: Droid 3 drops Bluetooth calls
Wildman
Legend

Do you have any radio device that may cause this, I had a radar detector that interferred with mine like thism after unplugging it I had no issues..

0 Likes
jmeinert

I do have an IPOD plugged in.  I will try unplugging it and see it makes any difference. 

0 Likes
boaterT

My Driod 3 is dropping Bluetooth in my Hyundai Gebesis. My previous phone never had this problem. It drops regularly and thinking of returning it to Verizon. I have tried truing functions off and because of the other post here turning off my radar detector. Still fails. Anyone else having this issue?

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Thanks for all the information everyone. I know how important the use of this feature is because I use my often. If you continue to have issues, I recommend contacting the manufacture of your car for additional information regarding the functions of your Bluetooth with your car.  I have listed our Bluetooth compatible link below on our website:

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/bluetooth_car_kit.html#a4

0 Likes
bachbaron

I am having the same problem with my Droid 3 and my 2009 Chevy Silverado. 

I have called Technical Support 4 times and they have no idea. They told me to pull battery, do factory reset, switch radio from Global to CDMA, and reboot. NOTHING works. Finally, they told me to contact Motorola which I did and they have no clue either. They are blaming it on GM which is ridiculous. I have paired and used a OG Droid, iPhone, Palm, and Blackberry with this truck with no problems so why would my truck have issues? Give me a break. 

I think it is totally unsafe to talk and drive although my job requires I do so. I have settled on going back to my OG Droid until VZW and Motorola wake up and fix the problem. This is ridiculous. You pay $200 for a phone that isn't able to make Bluetooth calls when at first glance, we all buy phones for one major thing, to make calls!

VZW - you need to get people on this right away. Instead of blaming my vehicle (I had a Technical Support guy tell me to replace my truck - NOT GONNA HAPPEN), work with Motorola and fix the software and provide a patch. 

0 Likes
Mordhelm

You are not alone in this issue. My testing (I am a software developer by trade, so I would think I may know a thing or two about what is going on) I have found that the cause seems to be the "Bluetooth Share" process itself. It does not seem to cleanly connect or disconnect from bluetooth device it is paired with.

The original thread I posted in here explains in some detail what I noticed: http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-DROID-2-by-Motorola/Bluetooth-disconnects-from-phone/td-p/652615

But to make it succint (not all symptoms have happened at the same time, this is just a general list):

1. Bluetooth call drops
  2. even if you disconnect from the paired device (car, headset, etc) the bluetooth share process still runs
  3. even if you turn off the paired device (car, headset, etc) the bluetooth share process still runs
  4. even if you turn off bluetooth on the vehicle, the bluetooth share process still runs
  5. When in this state and with the bluetooth still thinking it is connected, you cannot talk as the phone still thinks there is a bluetooth device
  6. If you try disabling the bluetooth through the in call bluetooth toggle, it may not work
  7. If you disable the bluetooth through the "power strip" widget, you can talk, but the bluetooth connection still believes itself to be connected after the call is ended
  8. Even when not connected the bluetooth shows connected in the top menu bar
  9. Speaker phone no longer works
  10. Mute button intermittently does not work

I have had this issue with my Dodge Challenger, and non vehicle based bluetooth devices. Even after totally shutting down the device,my Droid 3 still seems to "think" I have a bluetooth connection somewhere. This signifies that the process has gotten into a hanging or locked state somewhere. If the issue were just the vehicle having bad bluetooth software, it does not stand to reason that would cause the bluetooth software/hardware on the droid itself would hang, unless there was something blatantly wrong with Motorola's implementation of the software.

Based on my testing, I have concluded it is either the bluetooth software on the droid 3, or the bluetooth hardware on the phone. Otherwise I would not have noticed the other issues I pointed out while my bluetooth devices were disconnected.

0 Likes
bachbaron
Here's my update. Go to gm.com/bluetooth and select your vehicle. GM started putting bluetooth availability in their cars in 2009. I did it for mine and found that the original Droid along with the droid x, and droid pro were the only motorola android devices that are compatible with my truck. For comparison, I checked it with a 2011 silverado with the same results so whatever bluetooth thing they're putting in the vehicles has been consistent over the years. So bottom line, the droid 3 is not compatible with our trucks. I called VZW and had a lengthy conversation with technical support about how unpleased I was and they ended up agreeing to my argument. With that being said, they are sending me an iphone as a replacement for my droid 3. I wanted to stay with android but they wouldn't give me a thunderbolt. Keep in mind, I am outside my 30 return window but I had been calling VZW about this issue for almost 2 months. Bottom line, you're going to have to replace your phone with a compatible model unless you want to give up your truck! I ain't giving up my truck so the phone had to go! I hope this information helps. I would be the first to say I love my droid 3 but I need bluetooth to work as I am not putting my life in jeporady by talking and driving. Good luck to you all and let me know if I can be of some additional help. Again, the website is gm.com/bluetooth.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for bringing this issue to our attention. Our product team is working with Motorola to investigate Bluetooth issues with the Droid 3, and working on a resolution. This is expected to be resolved in a future software update. 

0 Likes
vancamp

OK it's about time we have a solution to this issue guys... it's definitely the PHONE, not the car. It's embarrassing to be dropping business calls!

0 Likes