Droid 4 not ringing when volume is set to loud.
denicci1977

Hello. I am frustrated and hoping I can get a resolution before taking such a dramatic step that customer support told me to do over the phone. My Droid 4 for some reason in the past couple of weeks stopped ringing so I am missing a lot of calls. Sometimes the caller id will readout the number loud, sometimes it will vibrate and every now and then the ringer will actually play. I have changed ringtones, turned off and on different settings and restarted my phone more times than I can count. Yet, the only way I can tell if someone is calling me is to look at my phone and see it (which I am too busy to sit and just watch my phone all day)...I need to be able to hear it. The volume is up in all places. It acts as if my phone is set to silent when it is clearly not. Customer service told me to let them do a complete manufacturer reset to my phone. As a matter of fact, why is it with every issue they seem to want to force this solution? They also told me I may want to find another Droid. I love the Droid 4. Outside of this current ringer issue, it has been the best phone I have ever had. Their answer makes no sense to me and will be very time consuming to get my phone set to the way I have it. The backup, reset, transfer and setting my phone up with non-transferable items etc takes hours to do and I would really prefer an answer as to why this is happening and if there is any other resolution. Thank you so much for your time and help!

0 Likes
Re: Droid 4 not ringing when volume is set to loud.
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try this - it won't erase any of your settings, but it may clear up the buggy behavior:

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

Post back and let us know if this did the trick.  If not, we can look further...

0 Likes
denicci1977

Thank you for your help SuzyQ. I tried your suggestion twice, but it didn't work. The caller id readout was consistent which it has not been. but it didn't ring or vibrate at all.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi denicci1977,

I understand your concerns regarding this ringer issue! I know how inconvenient it is when your your phone ringer is not working properly. This issue could be caused by a third party application conflict. Do you remember downloading a particular application around the same time as when the ringer issue start? Run and test in Safe Mode http://vz.to/Jig9b2 for a few hours and see the phone rings while in Safe Mode. I know that a factory reset http://vz.to/TZvgLF it a bit inconvenient, however, this will resolve any system error encountered by your phone and most likely will resolve the issue.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
IleneR

I tried EVERYTHING, including a hard reboot..  Couldn't get to safe mode even tho I tried the instructions several times.  I can hear the phone ring if I p[lug in earphones, but the phone only vibrates without the earphones.  Even in the car using wifi, the phone won't ring.  Frustrating. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's ease that frustration IleneR! If a hard reset http://vz.to/1ossOPk has not resolved the issue, we should consider replacement options. Is your phone within one year manufacturers' warranty? If so, please follow me (I am following you already), and send me a direct message. If the phone is no longer within warranty, please consider upgrade options http://vzw.com/Products

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
IleneR

Hmmmm. Not sure I'd go with Motorola again. As for getting an upgrade now...

As a 20+ years customer, I asked for an early upgrade and was told I "might " be able to upgrade 30 days before my contract is up, but not sooner. Since my contract is not up for 3 months that left me on a limb with a 1/2 usable phone. I asked to speak with a supervisor, since I was told only a supervisor could help me at that point. I asked to speak to one and was told the supervisor was gone for the day (really?). The verizon phone rep said she would have a supervisor call me back the next day. Never got a call.

So in addition to re-thinking getting a motorola phone again, I'm also re-thinking changing my phone service when my contract is up in 3 months.

Cheers, Ilene

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello IleneR, the last thing we would want is to lose you as a customer with us! It is our commitment to provide a top notch customer experience. Your 20 plus years of loyalty is truly valued. What issues are you experiencing with your current phone? What make & model? Can you please send us a direct message so we can review options? Here's steps: http://vz.to/1b8XnPy

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
IleneR

I tried all the steps you gave me in an original email--i reset the phone to factory settings.  i cleared the cache, i shut it on and off several times.  Finally, I called motorola and a level 2 tech said that the problem is hardware, not software.  (I CAN hear the phone ring if I use earphones.) She told me that I could send it back for repair ($29) or upgrade.  I can't upgrade as  I explained to you because Verizon says I have too long to go on my contract (3 months).  I don't want to spend $149 to fix the phone because it's still workable and I can buy a new one online for less money and not be without a phone while I send a phone in for repair.  I actually have been thinking of getting a no contract phone, which I can get from Virgin.  Several of my friends have used this service and have been happy with it, plus they say in the long run it's a lot cheaper than verizon.  So that's where I am in this frustrating process.

0 Likes