Droid Bionic 4.04 update. SMS no longer works and other issues
untitled2jc

Performed the 4.04 update yesterday (Made my phone at a ridiculously hot temperature and drained my battery from 90% to 5% within 1:30 , great thing to start downloading without a prompt).  Ever since the update my text messages will not load at all.  I have tried with the default application as well as Handscent SMS.  The default text messaging application will just continue to show that it is "loading" and with an apple style while circle, while handscent will just have a black screen then crash after awhile.  If I receive an incoming text message it does not show at all.  (Handscent will normally create a popup message).

Also when I turn the screen on from being asleep, sometimes the touch screen will not work, I will either need to wait a few minutes to turn the screen off then on  again or restart the phone entirely.

Anyone know a work around where I would not have to reinstall the OS again?

Please let me know if you guys need any more information.

0 Likes
Re: Droid Bionic 4.04 update. SMS no longer works and other issues
RobFbaker

I am having this exact same problem.  No text messages, regular or Handscent. The screen will not turn on many times.  The phoen battery died in half a day, the phone reboots its self over and over.  I have been charging it for over an hour and it still says 5%. 

0 Likes
junior509
Contributor - Level 1

You can try this step called clear cache partition

This doesn't erase anything off your phone

You need to get into recovery by first turning off your phone than holding the volume +/- rocker down while pressing the power button. Go down to recovery then volume + to select "recovery". I think you will get a droid lying on its back with an exclamation mark "!"Push both volume +/- then scroll down to wipe cache/partition and select by pushing the power button to confirm and after that select power button to confirm reboot system now

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Give this a try Guys it should help some b33Smiley Happy

Here is How you Clear the system Cache on the Bionic : Do as Follows

Step 1: power your bionic down

Step 2: hold volume up, down, and power simultaneously

Step 3: use the volume down to navigate to "recovery," use volume up to select

Step 4: you will get a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point, next to an Android. Press volume up and down simultaneously

Step 5: use the volume rocker to navigate to "wipe cache" and use the power button to select.

Step 6: after it has finished, use the volume rocker to navigate to "reboot system now" and use the power button to select.

You Can also Try a: Soft Reset

Here's How to perform a Soft Reset For your Bionic :  b33

Soft Reset - DROID BIONIC by Motorola

Note A soft reset is the most useful tool for resolving a variety of issues. In most cases, a soft reset will not affect data on the device, unless the battery is very low.

Note If the device doesn't respond to input, remove then re-insert the battery.

1. Press and hold the Power button.
    Power button
  2. Select Power off.
    Power off
  3. Press and hold the Power button to power the device on.
0 Likes
untitled2jc

Thanks for this information, I tried both and I'm still having the same problem.  I will probably try doing a factory reset if there's no other ideas on what to do.  Can anyone recommend a good SMS backup (maybe one that will back up pictures sent to me as well?)

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

SMS Backup and Restore works well and will send a backup to your e-mail, but unfortunately it doesn't back up photos

0 Likes
Karri707

I've done both of these (clear cache & soft reset) with no improvements to my texting. I am unable to send photos, links, or any text message over 6 words since the update ... it just keeps saying "invalid destination address". It's driving me bonkers since pretty much all my communication is done over text. PLEASE HELP!!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

you may end up having to do a factory reset; pain in the rear, I know ... obviously, be sure to back everything up first!

0 Likes
Karri707

I don't know how to do a factory reset or back everything up.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well Kerri as tik said and i don't want to scare you or anything like that but sometime these big OS's even though they can show the Good they can be on the Stubborn Side and sometime the only way to line them out is with a Factory Reset)

If you feel up to doing one by your self with what tik mentioned to Do i would go threw with it) But if your un-sure about doing it your self Customer Service can help walk you through the F.D.R they have help me when i first started out with Android and i did my first Reset. One thing also you should have is another Device to call Customer Service with as they will want to go over the procedure with you on your Bionic)  Here is there Contact No. 1-800-922-0204 Option 3 Technical services ( they're open till 10:00pm Mountain time.. Good Luck  Kerri  b33Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: BearCat33 .

0 Likes