Droid Decision
elite1

Hi,

I was looking to purchase the HTC Imagio this week but in looking at the reviews; I'm thinking of waiting until Nov. 6th and getting the Droid.

I like the features of the Droid but I am very concerned about the normal call quality functions.  I have been hearing a lot about the web features, texting, etc... in some of the reviews and all are very important features and qualities; but I do a lot of phone  presentations and I know that it has not launched fully as of yet but I have not heard of any of the basic phone features being addressed like speakerphone volume compared to other smartphones; can you group your contacts like on the Samsung Rogue, and do you get an indication on the home screen that you have text messages and email?

I have switched from the iphone back to Verizon and using my old Motorla Q 9c for right now; and even though I love the iphone; I'm just was not happy with the service (far to many dropped calls... not cool when you in the middle of a presentation) so going back to Verizon was a must for me (no dropped calls).

I am thinking very, very strongly of purchasing the Droid; I think it would be a good fit.  It seems like it has more features than the iphone or should I just go ahead and get the Imagio which is also a very cool phone from what i have seen.

Thank you very much....

Elite1

0 Likes
11 Replies
lite_sneeze

Does anyone know how much the droid will cost if I use my New Every Two discount to purchase it??  I get the $100 discount.

0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
With a $100 NE2 credit, the phone will be $99.99 after a $100 rebate.
0 Likes
anon

If you don't currently have an email plan, it appears that you are going to have to upgrade and pay an additional $50/mo. to get the Droid vs. the HTC, no?

0 Likes
whatruckus

with either phone, yes, you are going to have to get an email data plan.  however, it's only going to be $30/mo.

0 Likes
RVnut
Enthusiast - Level 1

Waiting to find out about tethering capbility.  That may be a show stopper!!!

0 Likes
mrpnance

CNET has a review and was complimentary of the phone and its calls, including speakerphone.  I don't rember if they mentioned volume or not

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

So far everyone that has the media review phones are saying that it is clear and has great connection.  Seems to be better than previous motorola phones.  From what I hear. 

0 Likes
gadgetmom88

Engadget, CNET, InfoSyncWorld, and PC Magazine all said that the speakerphone was very loud, and unlike the iPhone (which I also use right now), it doesn't distort at higher volumes.  I'm also moving over to the Droid from the iPhone, I've been waiting for something that could come close to the iPhone experience, or would at least not make me very frustrated.  I've tried out the Imagio and the Touch Pro 2.  They both come with an onboard stylus and have a resistive screen.  That would drive me absolutely insane after the ease of the use in the iPhone.  I love the specs on the Imagio, but it's just not as easy to use because of the resistive screen.  Scrolling around on the internet is maddening.  However, if you just want a phone that does the calls and messaging well, check out the Touch Pro 2.  It has great conference calling abilities, and the speakerphone is stellar.  If you loved the iPhone for other reasons though, that UI will drive you crazy.  I'm really hoping the Droid will prove to be less frustrating and more rewarding as the platform matures.

0 Likes
cem95z
Contributor - Level 1

I too am wondering... How easy is it to make a call. I know we are not supposed to, but we all drive and dial. If I have 100 contacts in my phone book, how easily can I get to the one I am looking for, while keeping my eye on the road?

Things I already do: Assign numbers to my most frequent people that I call so I can hit one button and send. I know it has a "favorites" section"

I tried the "Dare" phone last year and Hated the flat screen... therefore am hoping that this flatscreen is much better.

I am looking so forward to Google Maps and many other features of this phone. I am having trouble waiting a week.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know how the Eris will be but with the Droid you can get the car holder and it will make the directions and make calls easier to access while you are driving.  Seriously this thing is going to be awesome with cool gadgets that make it even cooler and easier. 

0 Likes
Datatech

Good Point Elie1 Your right, I would like to know too.

0 Likes