Droid Incredible 4G LTE - Ridiculous bloatware killing phone (Staff response requested)
Arleer

Before you even read all of it, please tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, and where I need to go to get an answer to this.

My question is: Why can't I uninstall default apps I don't want?

I was given a Droid Incredible 4G LTE for Christmas to replace my 4 year old Droid Eris, and while I really really like this phone, its battery life is an issue. So my first thought is, "keep the brightness down, install a task killer and see if that helps." Hardly. My battery life has gone from 6 to around 8 hours of minimal use, so I've done some more digging around. Looking around the advanced task killer app on my incredible 4g LTE, I am appalled at how many forced applications and services are on this phone, AND how they start up randomly and cannot be stopped. I have multiple examples prepared after only owning this phone for three days.

First off, what in the world is the deal with this forced bloatware? NFL Mobile, Amazon Kindle, TuneIn and Slacker radio, Amazon MP3, Verizon Tones, Google+, etc. These apps cannot be uninstalled, and many of them open automatically upon startup and slow the phone/eat battery life. Ex: slacker radio, google+, Amazon MP3 opens whenever I open my music. I can't even disable them without having to root my phone and use an app freezer, and I can't even do that because Verizon refuses to release an HTCDev unlocker for the 4G LTE. (but I can sort of understand that for people taking advantage of the 4g capability)

Why in the world would anyone think that this was a good idea?

I fully read the terms and conditions of my contract to ensure that this wasn't included, and after nearly an hour, Verizon does not reserve any right to manage a user's personal applications against their will, only the phone's operating system. I don't want NFL Mobile, Amazon Kindle, TuneIn and Slacker radio, Amazon MP3, Verizon Tones or Google+, and I have no way to uninstall or disable them. That is RIDICULOUS. I even have an option to defer from software/firmware updates, the fact that I can't remove these unwanted applications is insulting.

Also, some other examples:

4 instances of Google Maps open at once for no apparent reason. I don't have anything (weather widget, clock, weather lock screen) that warrants google maps or location services needing to open. What in the world is going on there?
My bluetooth service cannot be force stopped.
My Notes (two instances of this app open) and Calender applications open randomly; although I intend to keep and use these apps, this is very annoying.

Facebook opens randomly for no apparent reason.

0 Likes
Re: Droid Incredible 4G LTE - Ridiculous bloatware killing phone (Staff response requested)
Not applicable

A) If you are waiting from Verizon to answer this is may be weeks before that happens

B) You can't uninstall them because those companies that made those apps paid money to have those apps on the phone.

C) If you turn of background data a lot of these won't run.

D) You should be able to disable a lot of them. Go to APPS then APP SETTINGS from there you will be able to disable may of these apps an they won't even show in your apps anymore. Just tap the app you want to disable in the App Settings area. If it can be disabled it will say that. Some of them you have to uninstall updates first then disable.

0 Likes
Re: Droid Incredible 4G LTE - Ridiculous bloatware killing phone (Staff response requested)
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The DROID Incredible 4G LTE should already be running either Android 4.0+ for its operations system. Which means you can disable many of the pre-installed applications. Go to settings > Apps > slide to the All view. Disable each application individually. You might have to uninstall any updates before the disable button is available.

The DROID Eris is only three years old. It was released in November 2009. 12 minus 9 equals 3.

Also you should be aware, you posted your message on the Verizon Wireless Community. This is a peer to peer forum where customers can give suggestions and advice to other customers with their questions and issues.

If you need immediate assistance call customer service at *611 from your phone or 1-800-922-0204 from another phone. You can also use the "Contact Us" link at the top of the website. However the response from that avenue might also be delayed due to the holidays.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes