Droid Recharging Time
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

I got my Droid the first day and couldnt stop playing with it - the battery was at about 50% and I plugged it into the computer when it got low.

I've had it OFF and plugged in for 4 hours and it's at 50%...

Is this a problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Recharging Time
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Charging via USB and your computer is more of a trickle charge. It only charges at a fraction of using the regular wall charger.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Charging via USB and your computer is more of a trickle charge. It only charges at a fraction of using the regular wall charger.

0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

I took it to Verizon and that was indeed the problem - thanks.

0 Likes
altoon

Just to add to this:

The maximum current draw for a standard USB port is 500mA.

The current limit on the Motorola wall charger in the Droid box is 850mA. Clearly, the wall charger provides more power than a standard USB port.

Which makes me wonder if it's a good idea to charge another device using that Motorola wall charger? Or perhaps the current limits for Micro-USB are different from the older USB?

Alex

0 Likes
ncmecorp

I have been using my Iphone and Droid since yesterday and charging the Iphone on usb and the Droid is drastically different.  In the amount of time that both have been charging I am still in the Yellow and am over half charged with the Iphone.  The other thing that I checked was the 3g speed difference with the Iphone and the Droid.  The Droid was over 30 % slower using the same bandwidth software.  Checking Wifi they were  both very fast download but upload was fast with the Iphone and slow with the Droid by 10 times.  It looks like it is a good phone but it still needs more work.  I also have over 1000 pictures on the Iphone and can scroll them as fast as I can move my thumb but have to wait 10 to 15 seconds on the Droid.  I like the Droid but the interface needs to be smoother.  I can do almost everything with my Thumb on the Iphone the Droid takes 2 hands.

0 Likes
ncmecorp

I think the power issue is a problem when you are on the road you would want to keep the phone charged with the laptop if no ac power is available.  I guess you have a reason to buy a second battery.

0 Likes
alxnet

ncmecorp wrote:

I have been using my Iphone and Droid since yesterday and charging the Iphone on usb and the Droid is drastically different.  In the amount of time that both have been charging I am still in the Yellow and am over half charged with the Iphone.  The other thing that I checked was the 3g speed difference with the Iphone and the Droid.  The Droid was over 30 % slower using the same bandwidth software.  Checking Wifi they were  both very fast download but upload was fast with the Iphone and slow with the Droid by 10 times.  It looks like it is a good phone but it still needs more work.  I also have over 1000 pictures on the Iphone and can scroll them as fast as I can move my thumb but have to wait 10 to 15 seconds on the Droid.  I like the Droid but the interface needs to be smoother.  I can do almost everything with my Thumb on the Iphone the Droid takes 2 hands.

Yup, the iPhone is definitely a bit more polished (it's been out for years now).  Droid needs a bit more work, though you could probably attribute the slight delays here and there to the Droid having more than twice as many pixels on screen as the iPhone.

0 Likes