Re: Droid X Wi-Fi Issues
brucefan42
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have been having the same issue (wifi and 3g symbols showing up at the same time). I switched airplane mode on to turn off the 3g radio and restarted my wifi and now the wifi is rock solid. Seems the wifi and 3g were stepping on each other when both were active. Seems like a bug in the Moto software.
0 Likes
Ivanhoensandieg

I've had the same WIFI problem as discribed here from the day I got the X.  My D-Link 615 wireless router works fine for my laptop but the Droid X won't work here at home OR OTHER PLACES!  I was referred to Motorola 2 level tech support and they couldn't figure it out.  I just got done with them, after 45 minutes on the phone I finally asked for a supervisor who said that they were not aware of ANY wifi problems!!!  Need less to say I explained that their were tons of blogs about the problem.

I got it to work by reading one of the posts here about a conflict with 3G.  I turned on the airplane mode and wala -- it works perfectly.  What a pain, first I was told that Froyo would solve the problem which it didn't.  Although I was thrilled that the Motorola Car Kit (HF850) that worked perfectly with my previous 4 Verizon/Motorola phones started working again when I got the update.

What we got here is failure to communicate.  With the 'smartphones' we now have a three ring circus; Verizon sells the phone and provides the network, Motorola makes the phone and does advanced tech support, but Google makes the software.  Therefore Google, the people steering the ship are completely disconnected from end user feedback for simple problem fixes and geniune needs.  IE Every phone I've had beeps or lets me know that I missed a call or text etc.  Now we've gone backwards and they have taken this simple feature away.

0 Likes
Giovanni8089

Giovanni8089 wrote:

Update... I was running firmware 1.32.  I updated to the latest firmware for DIR-655, 1.34NA.

At least for now, it's working.

I'm running g & n mixed mode, WPA2 & AES security.  TKIP also works.

My internet searches found the problem may be isolated to new D-Link N routers.

I thought the issue was resolved, but it's not.  Nothing has changed since I've been updated to Android 2.2 on the phone either.

0 Likes
JoeSmith
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wi-Fi issues... maybe some of you forgot you're running battery power saver app that turns off Wi-Fi when not in use.

0 Likes
jeffbaf

At long last, Droid X recent update last week (build version 2.3.340, still android 2.2) fixed wifi problem for me. It's been almost a week, it can reliably connect to my Airport Extreme/Time capsule, never broke off once.

0 Likes
TaeSong
Contributor - Level 1

EncoreUneFois wrote:

We also have unsatisfactory battery life.  With all the default apps and settings loaded, both of our Droid X phones will lose up to 30% of our battery life just from sleeping from 12:00am to 7:00am.  Is that normal??  To compare competing phones, my friend's iPhone 4 lost only 3% battery power while asleep for 7 hours.  Regardless, I still love the Droid X, but could my wife and I have defective phones?  With so many minor issues---- do I wait for possible software updates or return the phones for new ones?

Droid X have a notoriously short battery life.  Currently, Android OS (which is based off of Linux) isn't optimized for mobile phone usage (power conservation).  You can try battery power saving apps, it might help some till Google can focus on optimizing power consumption on Android OS.  When that will be is unclear.

0 Likes
TaeSong
Contributor - Level 1

linthat22 wrote:

I've had my Droid X since launch and have had nothing BUT wi-fi issues.

I'm tech savvy and even with this phone next to the router it still drops and falls off completely.  So annoying.

I sure hope it's software and not hardware, cause that's pretty annoying.

Makes me wonder if you're trying to be a mobile hotspot if you'll be constantly dropping people lol.

Is it possible you're using a battery power saving app, that's shutting off WIFI... another possibility the some app power saving app might not be functioning properly and shutting off WIFI/3G even while it's in use.

0 Likes
TaeSong
Contributor - Level 1

NakkiNyan wrote:

ssmith10pn wrote:

Then the lady asked me this: "If you have unlimited 3G, why would you use WiFI? Most people only use WiFI on airplanes where they have to turn 3G off."

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard coming from a VZ employee.  

Any way, 

I can't hold a cell signal and have wi-fi on at the same time, maybe it is some conflict with some people's cell antenna like it is with mine.  Just an idea, I am sort of grasping at straws there :smileyindifferent:

Why WIFI instead of 3G... if you move out of your coverage area... unlimit 3G doesn't exclude roaming charges... yet.

0 Likes
jeffbaf

Wonder what you trying to do? to be connected to a wifi, or use is as wifi hotspot source?  Note that you can not turn on your droid x wifi hotspot and connect it to another wifi source at the same time.

If it is just issue connecting to another wifi router, update your droid x to latest firmware so see whether it fixes your problem. The last firmware (340) worked for me.

And of source, you may also need to verify that your router is working well. Trying to connect to your router with different handsets. If it is only your droid X experiencing problem, then it is issue with your droid x, otherwise, could be your router.

0 Likes
pdoyle35
Enthusiast - Level 2

just discovered yesterday but don't know that I've ever been connected wirelessly...

droid x gingerbread;

i seem to connect to Netgear WRN2000 wireless N router, using WPA2 password; droid shows it's connected.

but i cannot access the internet; when other devices on the network laptop, desktop, can access internet on same wifi network. 

when i do a ping test, it's successful; showing the Droid with correct MAC address, same IP assigned.

done resets of wifi; powercycle the droid; nothing helps.  had it 10 months.

Verizon said they couldn't help me; referred me to motorola.

motorola suggested factpory default settings, but don't want to have to readd data and programs if i don't have to.

the Netgear router is hardwired to Fios Actiontec modem/router, and supplies the wireless radio as N; Actiontec radio shut off as it's G.

any ideas?

thanks,

pdoyle

0 Likes