Droid X WiFi and Linksys Wrt54G
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I just got the DX yesterday and it recognizes my home network. However it does not obtain an IP address. I checked the wifi capability on unsecured networks and it works fine. ANy ideas on why the dx and my router aren't talking to each other.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid X WiFi and Linksys Wrt54G
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I fixed it. Seems just needed to update my  firmware, set the router back to factory settings, reinstall and go with WPA personal over WEP and Wahla connected.

Thanks for the advice

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

When you go into Settings / Wireless & Network Settings, and select WiFi Settings,  does your Router show up in the list of Networks? Does it say "Secured"?   If so, what happens when you click on it to select it to Connect to it?  My initial GUESS is that you didn't enter the Security Key to get into the Network.  Let us know what you find out.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Unplug router and count to 10 and plug back in and then it will generate ip address.  Rebooting the device is a wise decision also unless you configured a static ip.

0 Likes
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you. Yes my router shows in the list of networks. It is WEP secured. I do enter my security key and it says obtaining IP address, but never does. Cyrrently on the phone it has my network under managed networks and it says remembered, secured with WEP.

0 Likes
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't have a static IP and did unplug the router and it still could not acquire an IP address. On a side note I have a PC laptop that connects fine as well as other PC's, but I never could get a friends macbook to connect to my router.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

You don't have your Router configured somehow to NO ALLOW anything but specific devices to access it do you?  Strange that it can't seem to acquire the address if nothing is blocking it.  I would check my Router configuration setting. Did you do what WildMan suggested previously?  Can your phone connect WiFi to unsecured routers (e.g., Starbucks) ????

0 Likes
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

@cody21..Thanks, I don't know if I have the router to NOT ALLOW specif devices I'll have to check. The phone did connect to a neighbors unsecured network earlier this morning. I did unplug and replug in the router with no luck.

What is strange is that when I 1st tried it never would acquire the IP and then briefly at one point it did, but I couldn't see any web pages. I then turned off the phone and back on and never have gotten it to be able to connect.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Maybe try going into your MANAGE NETWORKS and select your connection, then click on "FORGET" so that it is removed. (I'd also "FORGET" any other ones that are in your list, just to get a clean start. Then re-add it, including the Key ....   Also, make sure you'redoing this in close proximity to the Router just to make sure you're getting a solid and strong WiFi signal.   Just a thought. If after re-entering your KEY and it still doesn't Acquire, I'd definitely start looking at the Router configuration.

0 Likes
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

@cody yes I'm thinking router too as my wife got the same phone and since we both can't connect I'm thinking router too. I was hoping this has happened to others and they would have a fix for me to try. I'll post as I remove along as to maybe save someone some pain. I tried the forget and cleared all the other networks too and no luck. <crossing fingers>

0 Likes
spanky4350
Contributor - Level 1

Make sure you don't have MAC address enabled as this will only let the computers in the MAC address list access the internet and block all others.

0 Likes