Droid X not charging when hot
robzane28
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having a problem with my Droid X for some time now. When the phone has been in use and is hot or even slightly warm, the battery will not charge.  I have to leave the phone unused long enough for it to cool down completely - sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes much longer, depending on how hot it got. Then, it will charge usually, although if a text message comes in, an app update launches, or the phone otherwise becomes "active" while on the charger, charging usually stops.  I have tried a new battery, and using multiple chargers (including the OEM charger, another charger from the VZW store, another wall mounted USB charger I have, plus a car charger).  I took it to the store and they swapped my charger thinking that was the problem, and suggested a new battery, but no improvement. The phone is 20 months old, but other than this charging issue works well and meets my needs.  It is obviously out of warranty. 

I've seen other posts suggesting the USB charging port could be damaged, but I'm not sure why that would vary based on whether the phone is warm or cold.  That result has been very consistent over the past several months - when the phone is active or warm, it won't charge, when it is cold it usually will.  Charging from a depleted battery is even more temperamental, but generally similar. The whole thing is very frustrating - any suggestions? 

0 Likes
Re: Droid X not charging when hot
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Exactly how hot is the phone getting?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

As Ann asked the Question how hot is that X Getting. Do something Download SystemPanel App its free from the Market or for a couple bucks you get the paid Version with this app it will tell you what your phone is Doing an the Temps it's running. Go to the app Store an download it. Once done look in your App Draw then tap to go into the app while in there you can see what you apps are doing an to see the Battery Level an Temperature tap were the see Cpu ,Memory , Storage an scroll up an you can See the Temps my X is Running at 33.0 Deg. Celsius an the Temp Sensor is showing 30.0 deg. Celsius.

If you go back to the Main Menu you can change these Readings to Fahrenheit. My X is Running at 87.8 deg. F  The Temp Sensor is reporting the Same.. On my Razr it's showing 86.0 deg. F An i'm streaming Music. If you can Run a test Hook the Battery up as you have done in the past an with the panel App see what the Temps are Running. If it's High Again Un-plug your X let it Cool a bit then shut it off an then charge it with it Off an see what it Does if it shows the same Results then i would try another Moto Battery a Extended Size if you haven't got one before an make sure to use a your Moto Chargers.. Let Us know the Results b33 

Click on the Link Here to See More on the App:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1&feature=nav_other#?t=W251bGwsMS... 

0 Likes
robzane28
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I downloaded the System Panel. Looking at it now, after very little use it's showing the battery at 84.2 deg F, and the temperature sensor as 77 deg F. The phone is plugged into the charger but is not charging.  I will monitor this when I am using the phone more heavily, but even at what seem like pretty close to ambient temperatures right now, it is not charging. To answer the original question, sometimes the phone gets moderately hot.  Not uncomfortable to touch.  However, even if it is almost imperceptibly hotter than "cold", it won't charge. 

robzane28
Enthusiast - Level 2

After leaving the phone unused for about 5 minutes, the phone temperature has now dropped to 75.2 deg F, battery still 84.2 deg F, it's now charging. After using for just a minute (refreshed twitter through tweetdeck), the temperature rose back to 77 deg F and the charging stopped.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone should charge at those temperatures. It is when it gets to 115°F+ that it would stop charging from overheating.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

robzane28
Enthusiast - Level 2

That was my feeling as well, which is what prompted my post.  Definitely seems like something not working the way it should, I'm just trying to find out if there is anything to do about it.  Really appreciate your help.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

You can have a bad charger or a battery with weak cells not holding a charge...   Are you using the device while on the charger when you notice the issue? 

Devices these days require so much power just to function so I have came to conclusion that the chargers are not able to supply enough power to charge and be used regularly without forcing the device to run hot.

Another thing that you may want to consider is the apps you have installed, if a application is pulling a heavy load for some reason the device will run hotter than normal.  At this point there isn't a guaranteed solution without isolating the common fact for the issue.

robzane28
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have tried with 2 different batteries, and with 4 different chargers, with no change to the result.  The phone will not charge while in use, but it also won't charge for a period of time after use either.  It doesn't seem that the phone is getting abnormally hot - just that the charging function for some reason is not working as expected when it's even a little warm. I have checked app system usage, and none of it seems unusual. The battery doesn't seem to be running down unusually quickly - I get through a day on one charge unless I'm using it to navigate or something else that I know is intensive.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Rob Temps in the 80s even 90s the low 90s are fine it's just like when your Running a Fever if it get's over 102 you better head to the Doctor but if breaks an set's out at around 98 then you'll be fine just don't let it get any higher. My Razr was Streaming yesterday an it never went above 90 an my Droid X was running at around 88.0 So i would say again 80s 90 ish Don't fret to much but it get's up there in the low 100s back off a Bit... b33