Droid, and it's European counterpart, the Milestone
Black6x

This is a regarding the Droid, it's European counterpart, the Milestone, and it's usability within the US/overseas. 

It appears that the only real difference between the two is the inability to use Google Maps Navigation in Europe (not an issue since I will be spending most of my in the US). 

My question is, since the Milestone supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900, similar to my Blackberry World Edition (also with Verizon), would the Milestone function in the US using the same type of SIM (Verizon/Vodaphone)?  Also, while it is in the US, would 3G and Google Maps Navigation be functional, as well as the uninstallation of MotoNav?

Specs for the Milestone: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/XW-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-MIL...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid's European counterpart, the Milestone, shoud be able to serve as a world phone.
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

I think we're debating different points here. I'm saying that despite the Milstone being WCDMA you still can't run it off VZW's network. The WCDMA bands are not the same that VZW uses. Plus, you can't activate a Non-VZW device on VZW service. So any which way you splice it, dice it, or massage it you're not getting the Milestone on VZW. You'd only be able to run it off T-Mo or AT&T.

But thanks for your crash course on GSM and CDMA frequency bands. It was a lovely refresher.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Droid's European counterpart, the Milestone, shoud be able to serve as a world phone.
Black6x

Ok, so here's what I found out from Motorola:

Regarding your concern, as long as you receive an unlocked version of the Milestone, and / or your carrier has roaming service in the USA there should be no problems for use of the cellular phone. For further assistance we recommend you to contact your Service Provider.

So really, we would just need confirmation form Verizon.  European phone are generally unlocked by default.  However, you pay full price for the phone, which isn't really an issue because the subsidized phone in the US are the reason that you are locked into a contract: Guaranteed method of recouping the cost, as well as turn a profit.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Except VZW doesn't use a GSM network. So you'll need a SIM card from T-Mobile or AT&T.

0 Likes
Black6x

Except that I have a SIM card in my Blackberry World Edition, and it's from Verizon.  Band specs for the Blackberry World Edition match those of the Milestone. 

Compare if you like.

Blackberry World Edition (it's the 8830): http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberry8800/8800_specifications.jsp

Milestone: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/XW-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-MIL...

Both operate on the Dual-band 900/1800 Mhz (GSM/GPRS) and Dual-band 800/1900 (MHz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO) networks.

Droid only operates on the 800/1900 (CDMA) => http://developer.motorola.com/products/droid/

This also happens to mean that, if you're willing to pay full price for the phone, you can have a Droid on any network, and unlike with the iPhone, it won't be "locked-up" via a firmware update.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Except your Verizon SIM card isn't for roaming here in the states. VZW only operates a CDMA network. They provide NO GSM support in the U.S. Vodafone is your support while roaming abroad. You will NOT under ANY circumstances be able to run the Milestone on the VZW network.

Your 8830 WE runs off of CDMA while here in the states.

So again, you will need a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card to use that device in the U.S.

I'm seriously being serious here.

0 Likes
Black6x

Ok, let's read your post and see what's being missed.

"Your 8830 WE runs off of CDMA while here in the states."  If you would pay attention to the tech specs, which I conveniently provided for you in my last post, you would understand that CDMA is the 800/1900 MHz band.

If you actually read my response, you would understand that the Droid has the ability to run on FEWER bands than the Milestone.

What you are thinking of is the dual band GSM phones (900/1800 MHZ) that ONLY run on GSM, not the Quad band phone (which run on GSM AND CDMA), which is what I am point out.

The Quad band variant has the ability to run on GSM.  It doesn not force you to GSM.  At worst, it means that you haev the OPTION to run it on a GSM network.  In the US, this would only be good financially if the cost of a subsidized phone plus teh differece in total cost of a 2-yr contract exceeds the cost of remaining on your current carrier and purchasing the phone at full cost.

Here is some additional reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000

And before you comment on teh fact taht it says "CDMA2000", that is because CDMA2000 is the proper term for the mobile phone standard of CDMA => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

I think we're debating different points here. I'm saying that despite the Milstone being WCDMA you still can't run it off VZW's network. The WCDMA bands are not the same that VZW uses. Plus, you can't activate a Non-VZW device on VZW service. So any which way you splice it, dice it, or massage it you're not getting the Milestone on VZW. You'd only be able to run it off T-Mo or AT&T.

But thanks for your crash course on GSM and CDMA frequency bands. It was a lovely refresher.

0 Likes
Black6x

You're right.  I think we were debating diff. points, and I'll mark that as the accepted answer.

The sad thing is knowing that the phone will be usable on those other networks, but their 3G networks suck.  AT&T's 3G coverage is the reason I won't buy an iPhone, and as much as I hate Apple, I've actually said that I would buy an iPhone if it came to Verizon.  I guess I'm going to have to go with Droid.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

It is very disappointing that the Droid line of phones aren't going to be global capable. It seemed like VZW was heading in that direction with all of their advanced devices. I don't understand why they decided to not make these global phones. Maybe to keep overall costs down? No idea, but disappointing indeed.

0 Likes