Droid car mount - third-party car mount may not work
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

I've been looking for a car mount for the Droid since the Verizon car mount is nowhere to be found. In looking at third-party mounts I discovered the following. The third-party car mounts tend to have large holding tabs that would probably cover the charging slot. From a picture of the Verizon car mount I see that it has small tabs at the corners that would not interfere with the charging slot. You certainly want the Droid plugged in if on a trip. On EBay the Verizon car mounts are going for about $40. Obviously some EBayers went out and purchased a bunch of mounts at the $30 retail price and figured heavy demand and limited or no supply would allow for a 33% premium. Oh well, I guess I will wait to see if the Verizon car mounts show up since the third-party mounts are probably not going to work well.

Anyone have a third-party car mount where the charge slot is not covered-up?

0 Likes
Re: Droid car mount - third-party car mount may not work
Ardoreal
Enthusiast - Level 2

With a dremel and a magnet, you can make just about any car mount work :smileytongue:

0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

I went onto EBay. One seller has the Motorola car mount for 39.99 buy-it-now and free ship - the best price. Another seller had an auction going and the current bid was 36.25 again with free ship. I threw in a bid to max out at 39.25 and was outbid by another at 40.25. Strange. I wonder if the other bidder realized that the mount could be had for 39.99. I decided that I was not interested in either purchase and I'll wait to see if the Verizon stores get the car mount in stock anytime soon.

0 Likes
Ardoreal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know what you mean.  $40 is a bit of a stretch for a car mount, but my employer's arrangement with Verizon hooks me up with a %25 discount.  So I went ahead and sprung for it.

I can tell you that the car mount being made specifically for the Droid is very awesome.  It's solid and the Droid feels very secure.  It also has some pretty easy rotation functions so you can twist and rotate the Droid perfectly.

I dunno, if it were $40 I'd have hemmed and hawed some more, but as for the utility of it in hindsight I'd have been glad to pay that much for it.

0 Likes
glocker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Go to the Verizon store and have them ship you one from there warehouse.  I did that on Friday, said I should have it by Tuesday, paid 31.67, free shipping.

0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

I am going to my Verizon store on Monday and hopefully they will order the car dock. I decided not to try and deal with a third-party device that might need some surgery to make it work.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280422130688&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT this one on ebay.  I haven't gotten it yet but the arms stretch out wide enough to mount it sideways and the small arms adjust position so you can have it plugged in. 

0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

I threw in a bid on EBay for the Droid car dock and won it at $38 delivered 2days I was really surprised as most auctions were ending at over $40 and buy-it-now prices were almost $50.   It would have cost me $32 (with tax) to go to a Verizon store and have it shipped so I saved some gas and time (as well as the aggravation dealing with my local Verizon store where you usually have to wait  to get service.  I was worried about third-party units covering the charge port.  If I had not won the auction for less than $40 delivered I probably would have suffered through going to the Verizon store.  I really like the look of the Motorola unit. It looks like it would firmly hold the unit.

0 Likes
shawnb
Why wouldn't you just go to the Verizon website and order it for $29.99 with free overnight shipping? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessories?action=accessoryDetailsByAccessoryAndPhone&acce...
0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

I see that it is now available on the web site. It was not available several days ago - I tried to order it. Oh well. I probably should have waited but I am not to upset about the $38.  I really did not expect to win the bid for $38.

0 Likes