Droid incredible network turns off
doncal
My network turns off at least once a day. So this means no internet, no marketplace, anything that uses data. Sometimes th phone won't even work. When I go to settings, the network switch says trying to connect but it never does. If I try to hit airplane mode it won't work either. It just keeps trying. The only way to bring it back is to turn it off and back on again. It works to fix it, but what a pain in the butt. Does anyone else have this issue since the 2.2? Any ideas besides hard reset? Really don't want to do that. Dont have any task killers.
0 Likes
Re: Droid incredible network turns off
rainman1772

I shall start by stating that I have not gotten my Droid X yet and that I am doing research on the X and the Fascinate! I know it is a pain in the rump roast when you must wait on the phone to cycle off and then come back on. It is recommended that one turn the phone off and back on atleast once a day, even the smartphones. I let these times become the time that I do this, even if it is at an inopportune time. I had to do this often back when I was with Alltel and using the HTC Touch. It drove me mad, mainly due to the fact I was usually driving and using the handsfree when most of the glitches happened. I do hope someone has a good fix for your problem! I will keep watching this issue to see if a fix come up. I believe I need to keep up on the current issues if I am to understand the device thoroughly. So many people get the device and don't read up on it's functionality and the operation steps to get what they want. One must realize that these phones have more functions and memory than most laptops did even only 5 years ago! As the tech advances, and the number of things these phones do for us, the more we must learn to adapt to the phone. I am glad Verizon set up this Community. It helps us, as the endusers to possibly find realworld solutions for ourselves and for Verizon as well! Smart move on their part! As an owner of a Samsung Alias2 and the frustrations of having a MULTIMEDIA phone and not a true smartphone, I can't wait to get back to the world of  SMARTPHONES.! I truly miss my old touch screen and am frustrated with some of the glitches in my current phone. It resets itself at times and also gets a whiteout and interrupts my game, music, text, or the display when in a call. After three replacements, I am ready to move on! I want to DROID!

0 Likes
jrhop84

When i woke up this morning I am experiencing the same problem you describe.  I have no 3G connection and when i do it immediately drops to 1x.  Sometimes I also have no reception at all throughout the day.  I called verizon rep and they said that the towers in the area are having some sort of problem.  I'll wait 24 hours to see what is done and if nothing then looks like ill be making a trip to my local verizon store for explanation.  My wifes phone just started doing it tonite also with no 3g connection or internet at all.  Grrr we pay good money for something we should be able to use at all times!  Goodluck and let me know if you get answers and ill do the same

0 Likes
TLBauer3617
Contributor - Level 1

I am having the same issue.  I generally keep the 3G network turned off and use WiFi when it is available.  I recently took a trip to Alaska and did not have access to WiFi.  So, I turned on the 3G network.  It worked most of the time.  I noticed that when I shut the phone off at night to charge it up that when I turned it back on in the morning, the 3G network would be off, even though it was still checked to be active in the settings.  I had to shut the phone down and restart ... sometimes this would work and sometimes it would not.

I agree ... we pay too much good money for these services ... they should WORK!!

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

First lets make sure you have the most resent update on the phone.  

From the main screen, touch Menu
Touch Settings
Touch About Phone
Touch System Updates

Next lets do a soft reset on the phone by powering the phone off then removing the battery and powering on  the device.

Then could I get you to dial *228 send and option 1,  and then *228 send and option 2.  

Then you would want to make sure the Wi-fi is off.

From the home screen, touch the Menu
Touch Settings.
Touch Wireless & Networks
To disable touch Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi is enabled if a green check mark is present.

0 Likes
doncal
When I turn the phone off and back on it usually resets it. It does however say airplane mode is on, which I never turned on. When it is in this state, I can't turn the mobile network back on or turn airplane mode off. I am able to use the WiFi though, which I thought was supposed to be disabled by airplane mode. What is going on with this phone? BTW I am up to date running froyo 2.2 . And have done the reset with battery out and everything. And why would I have to constantly do this?
0 Likes
budone
Legend

Hey Noah, if one does *228 option 1, that takes care of *228 option 2.

0 Likes
mjgilbert

Thanks for the post above from tech support, but this issue has not been resolved for me and (frankly) its been driving me nuts.  It seems like a number of other people have been having the same problem.  Here are some of the symptoms I've observed, which I have noticed other people reporting as well:

*  Periodically, as often as once a day, the mobile network connection ceases to work

*  No error messages are given; signal strength indicator continues to work and phone calls can be made without a problem

*  No mobile data connection will work.  E.g. web pages do not load, e-mails are not retrieved

*  Turning the phone to airplane mode does nothing (the airplane mode indicator does not come on) until after the phone has been reset

*  Turning the mobile network off and then on again does not fix the problem

The only solution I have found that works is to power the phone off and then back on again.

Following the directions above to update the phone DOES fix the problem, but only because it powers the phone off and on again; it does NOT prevent the problem from reoccuring.

The bottom line is that I need to restart the phone each time this error occurs.  This is not simply a major nuisance, it limits productivity because the mobile network shuts off without warning; e.g. I can have the phone in my pocket for an hour after the network stopped working, and not realize that the whole time, I have not been receiving e-mails sent to me.  This is simply not acceptable for work purposes.

Could someone at tech support please let us know:

(1) is this a known problem?  is it being worked on?

(2) is there a fix?

(3) if there is not a fix, will one be made available, and if so, when?  How will users be told about it?

Thanks for your response.  Frankly, as much as I love my Incredible, I need a phone that works and promptly received e-mails.  I'm not going to wait until a client gets angry at my lack of response to an urgent e-mail-- I am going to break the contract without penalty and switch to a better phone.

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

I apologize about all the problems you are having with the new update.  Future updates will  improve upon the operation of the device and address any problem issues.  If you have a taskmanager application on the device, try removing it or changing its settings.   This may help with the overall operation of the phone.  

From the home screen, touch the applications tab (located on the bottom of the screen).  

Touch Settings. 

Touch Applications.

Touch Manage Applications.

Touch the desired application. 

Touch Uninstall. 

Touch OK. 

Touch OK. 

0 Likes
TLBauer3617
Contributor - Level 1

I am having the same issue and I have NO task manager running on my phone.  So, that is not the cause of the problem!

0 Likes