Droid loses Wifi?
Leeabe

Today my Droid lost it's wifi connection to my Linksys home network, although all other wireless devices were working fine. It couldn't even see any of the numerous networks in my area which it had detected before. I did get it to reconnect to my home network but it lost the connection again a few minutes later. I had to reboot it ( 2nd time in 36 hours) to get the wifi to work again.

Anyone else had this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Droid loses Wifi?
geocacher

I've had a similar experience. I have a Netgear N WNR2000. I have it set-up with WPA-PSK security and IP checking. I turned off IP checking and got the Droid to connect. Added IP for the device and turned checking back on. Driod worked great until it went to sleep then would not reconnect. Turned off IP checking totally and tried again. Basically, after some period of time, I can connect only after bouncing the network (with or w/o IP checking) consistently. I hope this is something that can be configured to fix! Any ideas, or is this a driver issue?

0 Likes
grenademouth

I had this problem at first.  Go to Wi-Fi settings, touch menu and select advanced options.  Wi-Fi sleep policy and select never.  This won't extend your battery life, but it kept my phone from dropping Wi-Fi and disconnecting.

0 Likes
Packet
Enthusiast - Level 3

Honestly, even better... grab Locale (really an amazingly useful Android app /anyway/), and the KeepWiFi Locale plugin.  In defaults, set KeepWiFi to 'off,' and then create a 'Home' situation (based off of the GPS location of your home), including a KeepWiFi 'on' action.

Then, if you're at home, your WiFi will not sleep (and thus you'll remain connected).  Once you leave home, if you're just hotspot hopping and so on (or not using WiFi actively, just passively for assistive GPS), the WiFi will return to the more power-friendly mode of allowing the WiFi connection to go to sleep when not actively in use.

0 Likes
Leeabe

Seems like maybe the Wifi goes out when the battery is low (turns yellow). Trying to figure it out. Rebooting didn't fix it tonight, but I recharged it a bit and then just turned wifi off and then back on and the connection seems to be sticking.

Wish I knew if this was a bug or a hardware problem. Not many people seem to be having this issue so really unsure.

0 Likes
dknight0

My wife and I both have Droids on a wireless home linksys wifi network. we both also have laptops and I have a blackberry curve as well. Only our droids seem to lose the wifi connections -and do it several times a day- a process which usually involves turning-off wifi and on again several times, or eventually rebooting the phone and in some cases, powering it off and pulling the battery. Our other devices don't drop the connection at all. Not to mention, the two droids we have don't lose wifi at the same time either... sometimes it is my wife's that drops, sometimes it is mine.

I think it might be related to the fac tthat 3G and regualr cellular signals are pathertically weak at my house. Only if the sun is shining and the clouds are out of the way (or so it seems - i am being sarcastic here) does the cellular connection work. Which is why we wanted phones with wifi support.

I love the device, but the wavering wifi is more than just an annoyance.

I tried the 'wifi fixer' app... it helped a little (very little), but it also chewed through a battery in about 3 hours. and I wasn't even using the phone. so be aware.

0 Likes
dknight0

I have this set on my phone and it still drops the wifi...

the most annoying part is when I am in the same room with the router and it tells me it is ourt of range... but my wife's droid is still on it as are out laptops and my blackberry.

i hope this is just a bug in the os and not bad hardware.

0 Likes
solar3
Enthusiast - Level 3

My WiFi issue usually occures when attempting to connect. When I turn on WiFi, it'll attempt to auto connect ot my home wireless, and a lot of times it will, give me a connections failure message (can't remember the exact verbage at the moment). I"ll try to connect manually, and it may fail again or connect. Usually by the third time, it'll connect, but sometimes. I'm also turning the WiFi back off, then back on again. It seems a little touchy, but I haven't done extensive testing to try to discern a pattern yet. I have a Sonicwall TZ190, just to add to the list....

JT

0 Likes
rjones

From the description of your symptoms I'd suspect there is some router setting that's off. It could be some non-standard setting that got turned on by mistake. You can save your router settings and then do a reset to factory. You will, of course, have to reset security codes on everything if it works after that. If it doesn't solve the problem, you can always reload your old settings. Sounds like your dynamic addressing isn't reestablishing itself, unless you're using static addressing, then that theory wouldn't hold. Is is also possible that you're connecting to another wireless network in your area that's unsecured? Check the settings to see which router you're hooked to. I've noticed that the DROID will not switch to another router or extension unless it loses total connection. It won't seek out the router with the strongest signal.

I've had no problems with my home or at public wifi sites and most other people are not experiencing these problems. At last resort maybe you've got bad phones.

0 Likes
driver1207

Droid wifi sucks.  Clearly a serious problem.  Mine will connect (only after I specified a static IP) but then it drops/searches/drops/searches.

To show how widespread this problem really is, just Google Droid wifi and see the thousands of unhappy Droid users who can't get wifi to work and are left with the so-called "unlimited" 3G.

Hopefully the update will fix this.  UGH.

0 Likes