Re: Droid running rampantly through apps on its own, entering text into messages & calling peopl
SheWho

I, too,  watched in horror as  my phone  dialed out by itself; sent  emails I did not type;  and opened and closed apps and websites on its own. I drew the line -- and pulled the battery -- when  the Marketplace app opened itself and started to download  software for purchase!

I did the hard reset twice, to no avail. Then, I called the VerizonWireless Customer Service Line. In short, VerizonWireless is aware of this problem, and Verizon is aware that the hard reset does not work. Apparently, the Android OS update is so corrupted  that the only solution is to replace the phone.

Here is what worked for me:

• I called Verizon Customer Assistance, who connected me to the Droid technical help person.
  • I explained the problem and referenced this page to show that it is a known problem.
  • I explained that I had tried the hard reset twice, and my  phone remained unusable.
  • They offered to send a replacement phone, at no charge if I sent the inoperable phone back. Replacement phones are NOT available at VerizonWireless stores, only by mail.
  • They suggested that I keep the battery and all accessories when I returned the damaged phone
  • The new phone does not have a new warranty period - it only extends your current warranty by 30 days. So, my warranty was due to expire April1, but the new phone will be under warranty until May 1.

The help desk was pleasant and helpful, but I am disgruntled to have no phone service for three days while this ships -- no expidited shipping option was available. I also think Verizon should  reduce my bill, to reflect my 10% loss of this month's service.

I hope this info helps others!

0 Likes
Re: Droid running rampantly through apps on its own, entering text into messages & calling peopl
Bkatebird08

My phone did same thing and got replacement through mail, and my boyfriends Droid 2 did also, only thing replacements are used refurbished phones. Our replacements seem to have something wrong with them within a month or two.

0 Likes
silverton34x

since the last update my droid has been doing (or not) the following:

1.autodialing phone numbers-had to install an app to prevent it (does not stop the attempt to call, just asks me if i really want to place that call and gives me the option to say yes or no. this has added yet one more step to call someone when i really want to place a call). could be sitting on the table or desk and voila! it calls someone

2. will not play videos

3. keeps locking up text file, says it's full when it is not

4. extremely slow to load the "home page"

5. constantly goes into the sleep mode, even though that function is turned off

6. generally running extremely slow

BTW... i am sick of being told to do a hard reset....the time it takes to re-set up the phone is rediculous. should not have to hard reset the phone every 6 weeks.

0 Likes
trinity1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Droid is just about a year old and about 10 days it started dialing random numbers while I was talking on the phone.  Sometimes it would be random digits and other times it would be numbers in my phone book.  It would also mute itself on it's own.  When it does this, it is almost impossible to get it to hang up--it takes forever.  Last night it did it again and after I finally got it to hang up, it called three numbers from my call log on it's own.  I took it into the Verizon store today and they did a hard reset.  Of course it didn't work... It's still muting itself and hanging up on it's own.

0 Likes
Re: Droid running rampantly through apps on its own, entering text into messages & calling people
mac420
Enthusiast - Level 1

going to switch to I-phone. my friends who use I-phone don't have any problems with theres! Nothing like what I'm expeiriencing with the droid. Been paying for two phones that haven't worked in about 8 months now. With the money I wasted I could've taken my wife to Mexico for a week! Bull S-h- it Verizon. doodie heads.

0 Likes
Re: Droid running rampantly through apps on its own, entering text into messages & calling people
Cschmeer

About a month ago used my upgrade to replace my daughter's Droid 2 - which had already been sent back twice for issues but was told it couldn't be fixed and insurance wouldn't cover another replacement.  Now her Droid 4 - on which I lost unlimited data even though her contract wasn't up (thought you couldn't change the terms of a contract right in the middle - oh and the fifty dollar upgrade discount suddenly became a thirty dollar discount)- has a touch screen that is going crazy and operating on its own.  Paying a ton of money for these stupid phones and I feel like half the time they are having issues that require hours in a Verizon store only to learn it has to be sent back - after all the data has been lost - and is going to cost me yet more money.  Oh and the replacement insurance, still cost one hundred dollars to get the replacement phone when my son lost his.  Getting seriously tired of this.

0 Likes