Droid running rampantly through apps on its own, entering text into messages & calling people
wisconsinbadger

Since the latest system upgrade and especially within the last 4 days, my Droid has been been doing many things, very rapidly on its own. It will sit calmly for a period, and then out of the blue, it will just start adding random text strings to a text and not let you get out of it. It will also rapidly fire through many different apps on the phone.  This morning it even called a couple of people without me ever touching it while it sat on the dash of my car.  What's up with this operating system?  Seems like you have some serious bugs. It's getting so I really am not liking this phone right now.  It locks up when it does this and has to be shut down.  Shutting down constantly and taking the battery out to reset things is not very productive!  Please get this fixed ASAP!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid running rampantly through apps on its own, entering text into messages & calling peopl
trinity1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Droid is just about a year old and about 10 days it started dialing random numbers while I was talking on the phone.  Sometimes it would be random digits and other times it would be numbers in my phone book.  It would also mute itself on it's own.  When it does this, it is almost impossible to get it to hang up--it takes forever.  Last night it did it again and after I finally got it to hang up, it called three numbers from my call log on it's own.  I took it into the Verizon store today and they did a hard reset.  Of course it didn't work... It's still muting itself and hanging up on it's own.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Droid running rampantly through apps on its own, entering text into messages & calling peopl
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Did you download an application during that time? It might actually be a bad application. Try uninstallin any applications you installed starting with the most recent one. Then add then back slowly maybe even taking a few days between each one. If it starts happening again after an application installation, it was a bad application. If that doesn't work, a factory reset might be a good idea and start fresh again.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2

Try doing a hard reset on the device.

Performing a hard reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications. Only perform this reset if absolutely necessary.

Note After a hard reset has been performed, initial setup may need to be performed. For assistance refer to
Initial Activation and setup - Motorola Droid (A855).

Preferred method

1. From the home screen, touch the applications tab (located on the bottom of the screen).

2. Touch Settings.
  3. Touch Privacy.

4. Touch Factory data reset.

5. Touch Reset phone
  6. Touch Erase Everything.
0 Likes
mrsmisha

I have the same issue as the original poster.  With help from the Verizon folks (using my husband's phone because mine was a {word filter avoidance} I have gone through the steps for a hard reset (Ctrl X, etc etc) and a factory resent as described by Ms_Shonta.

NEITHER HAS WORKED.

Verizon by phone guy suggested a get my phone flashed, or rather, re-load the OS.  One problem: HOW???  The Verizon Store DOES NOT reload OS, and neither does the Verizon over the phone help line.

I refuse to believe something is wrong with the screen.  My phone worked perfectly until the new OS was downloaded to my phone.  It seems every Verizon person so far has been more intersted in seliing me a new phone (at full retail because I am not eligible for an upgrade until April 2011) than in telling me how to fix my current phone.

Oh, and going to Motorola's website doesn't work either!

MrsMisha

0 Likes
thereed

I have this same issue.  I have done a hard restart and have reset to factory default settings.  Still not working!!!!  :smileysad:

0 Likes
pcmills70

I started having the same issues this morning. I think what we're dealing with here is a virus, and I think it's a hack which is allowing someone or something to remotely control our phones.

For instance, here's what's happened while trying to remedy the problem:

1. I tried to download an antivirus app, but the download would never be successful.

2. While trying to scroll the the menu, various apps would open up, and then items would be clicked through the program, almost as though someone was searching for something.

3. My Messenger program opened up and then a contact was clicked, and then a message was being typed.

4. I finally managed to get Settings opened up. As I'm scrolling down, the keyboard controls were taken over and it unclicked my SwiftKey option. I clicked it back on, and it clicked back off.

After doing a little research online, I found where there is a new trojan virus dubbed 'Gemini', although I've seen where one called it ‘Geinimi’. Do some research on it and you'll see why I'm worried this is what's happening with our phones.

0 Likes
basstrax

I too am having the same problem! Just started a couple of days ago! I can't uninstall any apps cause it starts rapidly scrolling up and down, and selecting things to uninstall on it's own...I have to pull the battery to stop it from uninstalling something I don't want to uninstall...is this happening to any other droid models (X, Pro, 2)!?!?

0 Likes
quinn

Agreed. Since the most recent upgrade my phone freezes, starts random apps and is extremely slow. Often requires a "force close". Clearly the upgrade was not tested on the original phone, this phone can not handle the upgrade...the Verizon store told me so - - - we're out of luck unless you want to buy a new phone. CRAZY.

0 Likes
nikmark

Is it possible to down grade?

0 Likes
wgjhs

Mine is doing the exact same thing but on a rare and random basis. Usually while I am trying to send a text. I too have tried the reset, uninstalling everything and also clearing the memory card. Nothing has worked yet. Also since the update my screen now freezes on a regular basis and the only way out of it is to remove the battery.

0 Likes