DroidX and microSD card error
franticallylost

While using my Droid X today, I was looking at my Facebook, when all of a sudden, my 16gb MicroSD card unmounted itself and basically puked.

It won't allow itself to be formatted.  It won't allow itself to be mounted.

I can't read it on my PC.

It's basically a piece of plastic now.

Anyone else have this problem?  Is there any way I can fix the card?

The Droid was new last December 2010, along with the card...

0 Likes
Re: DroidX and microSD card error
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

SD cards go bad sometimes. I'd leave it out of your phone so it doesn't start messing up your phone as well. The only thing I can think of would be to just get another one.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

franticallylost Wrote:

While using my Droid X today, I was looking at my Facebook, when all of a sudden, my 16gb MicroSD card unmounted itself and basically puked.

It won't allow itself to be formatted.  It won't allow itself to be mounted.

I can't read it on my PC.

It's basically a piece of plastic now.

Anyone else have this problem?  Is there any way I can fix the card?

The Droid was new last December 2010, along with the card...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Time to head to the ol Corperate store an getcha another Sd card an that were i would get it too don't go to Walley World

If you get like a case or screen protector when you get your Card they'll take a 25 to 30% of an if your acc. is in great standing you can bill it to your account !

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
As long as it is a SanDisk micro SD card, I'll pick one up from Walmart (aka Wally World), Amazon, etc.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

+++++++++++++++        ^^^^^ Ann do you like the fence up there  ^^^^      +++++++++++++++++

thought i try something different       :smileywink:

0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Good afternoon and thank you all for your replies.

OP:

I know how frustrating it can be to experience this difficulty with your microSD card. This is not a commonly reported issue with your device. We do need to find out if it's the card that is defective or if there's a difficulty with your device. I recommend if you know someone with a Droid X, possibly a friend or a family member, to insert your card and see if it can be read. If it can't then we know it's the card.

0 Likes
TheHares

I have the same issue.  Droid X phone suddenly started reporting the SD card as defunct/needing formatting this week.  Phone was new in December.  SD card doesn't register as formatted and no longer works when put in an sb/usb adapter to my computer like it did originally.

0 Likes
JeepGal

The same SD card failure just happened to me. My Droid X (new in Dec. 2010) says the 16GB SD card is "blank or has unsupported filesystem". My Droid X can't reformat the card (nothing happens) or mount the card. The SD card can't be read when the DX is connected to my Windows 7 PC via USB or when the card is inserted directly into my PC. Windows 7 sees the SD card but can't access it.

My DX has had trouble interacting with the SD card since the Gingerbread update. Coincidence? Could the card failure be connected to the stock Gallery viewer not working anymore? That quit about the time of the Gingerbread update, too.

Also, my DX gets really hot using the Navigation or Maps apps in the Car Dock (even when it's cool and dark outside), and I wonder if the card literally had a meltdown. Even handheld, it gets hotter than it used to. Is that normal or a warning sign?

Thanks for any advice.

JeepGal

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello TheHares,

Are you still experiencing this issue with your SD card?  If so, have you attempted what DaisyP suggested above?  You did some great troubleshooting already.  Just to confirm it's not the device try a different SD card if possible.  If the common denominator points to the SD card versus the device then we can take a look at your options to receive another card.  Please let me know the results if you have not already addressed the issue.  Thank you.     

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

JeepGal wrote:

The same SD card failure just happened to me. My Droid X (new in Dec. 2010) says the 16GB SD card is "blank or has unsupported filesystem". My Droid X can't reformat the card (nothing happens) or mount the card. The SD card can't be read when the DX is connected to my Windows 7 PC via USB or when the card is inserted directly into my PC. Windows 7 sees the SD card but can't access it.

My DX has had trouble interacting with the SD card since the Gingerbread update. Coincidence? Could the card failure be connected to the stock Gallery viewer not working anymore? That quit about the time of the Gingerbread update, too.

Also, my DX gets really hot using the Navigation or Maps apps in the Car Dock (even when it's cool and dark outside), and I wonder if the card literally had a meltdown. Even handheld, it gets hotter than it used to. Is that normal or a warning sign?

Thanks for any advice.

JeepGal

Hi JeepGal, 

I understand your frustration with your memory card. I know how important the information saved on my phone is to me, and I would feel the same way. I would like to ask a couple of questions.

When you attach with the USB cord, does it show the space that has been used and the space that is available for use? I have checked my references, and this does not show to be an issue with the Gingerbread update. But if it shows the space used and the space remanining, I would recommend taking the card out of the device and using the card reader again, to see if you can place all of the data in a folder. Then see if you are able to open the folder on your computer. 

With regard to your device getting warm when in the car dock and using Navigation or map applications, this is actually normal, especially if you are using the application(s) for a longer period of time. The screen uses a lot of the battery and the device will get warm. Do you by any chance have a spare battery or have a friend or family member who has a Droid X? You could then try a different battery to see if that makes a difference. Batteries do have a finite number of charges, so the issue may be the battery and not the phone. 

Please post back with any results. Thank you very much!

0 Likes