Re: DroidX and microSD card error
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

B33 wrote:

franticallylost Wrote:

While using my Droid X today, I was looking at my Facebook, when all of a sudden, my 16gb MicroSD card unmounted itself and basically puked.

It won't allow itself to be formatted.  It won't allow itself to be mounted.

I can't read it on my PC.

It's basically a piece of plastic now.

Anyone else have this problem?  Is there any way I can fix the card?

The Droid was new last December 2010, along with the card...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Time to head to the ol Corperate store an getcha another Sd card an that were i would get it too don't go to Walley World

If you get like a case or screen protector when you get your Card they'll take a 25 to 30% of an if your acc. is in great standing you can bill it to your account !

Corporate store won't help....I tried that AND the 800 # and they both pretty much told me I was SOL and I'd have to goto Motorola to get a replacement. The guy in the store actually cut me off while I was trying to tell him the problem I had as soon as I said the SD card bombed out last night. Infact he and another one of the Verizon agents at the store wanted to argue with me about it and tell me Verizon isn't responsible since it is a 'freebie'. That's really poor customer service to interrupt your customer and 'assume' they know the problem and the answer to the issue. The card is what came with the phone in November, so I got 8 months out of their cheap SD card. It would be in Verizon's best interest to replace the card as people come to them saying it crapped out. I work in the computer industry and know when a card has corrupted....this card is corrupted, especially when my computer won't even read it. It's a known problem as there are multiple posts on Android support forums on the internet. VZW's answer is to call the 800# to Motorola even though Verizon.

I thought AT&T service was bad, but today things showed me that Verizon has gotten as bad as AT&T in how they respond to their customers

0 Likes
arhodesit

Just had the same problem last night, however I had better luck when calling tech support.

This Friday I will be receiving a replacement phone because VZW is not sure if its the phone or the SD card.

FYI

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

arhodesit wrote:

Just had the same problem last night, however I had better luck when calling tech support.

This Friday I will be receiving a replacement phone because VZW is not sure if its the phone or the SD card.

FYI

That's interesting considering both the phone support and store both told me they wouldn't help me and I had to call Motorola for help. Seems that there is no firm answer when it comes to how they want to help their customers. Some customers get the response I get, that is basically that you are SOL, or you get a response that says they are sending you a replacement microSD card, or in your case a replacement phone.

Well I fixed my problem. I went and bought my own microSD card of an actual NAME BRAND, instead of the POS that VZW gave me. I was reading somewhere that the reason these cards go corrupt is that they may not even actually be the 16GB that VZW says they are, but rather a smaller size and that if you try doing more with the card than it has space to do with it, then it corrupts itself. Whether or not that's true, I do not know, but considering I had around 7GB on the card with everything it puts on the card in addition to the few pictures and sound files I had, it makes me wonder. How sad that Motorola has stooped so low, and Verizon is an accomplice, as to put cards that are less than what they say on them into the phones they sell. I said in the past I would never have another Motorola because of build quality, but I tried again with my Droid X - its a great phone, but this problem with the poor quality SD card they provided has changed my view, and will make me think twice about whether I want to keep VZW as my carrier - I certainly won't get another Motorola phone that's for sure

0 Likes
PolishHammer

I had the same problem with my phone.  I was downloading musice from my computer (Not corrupted) and when it was done I got the same issues.  Now I lost all my music and photos and cant use my Sonos without the card and anything related to the SD card I cant use.  My phone is about 8 months old and the original SD card.  I went to Verizon and they told me its my issue. Ridiculous.  This is obvisouly not an issolated issue.  I have read many different stories of people having this issue online. 

0 Likes
CCraigMorris

Wife just had same problem on her Droid X I got her for Xmas present last year (Dec 2010).  Micro SD disk won't mount or format and does same in my Droid X, which is a few months older and works fine.  My Droid X has the Sandisk 16GB micro SD (says that on it), but my wife's Droid X apparently has another brand micro SD (which says Micro SD HC 16GB on it).  Already wasted a bunch of time yesterday talking to two different Verizon technicians, then to a SanDisk rep, and now moving on to whoever manufactured this POJ micro disk.  Verizon is obviously well aware of the problem, and one rep asked me if we load a lot of pictures on the phone  (the answer was yes).  Someone posted something here about these micro sds being damaged if their capacity is exceeded, which might explain the question from a Verizon rep. I agre with other posters that Verizon should step up to their responsibility to replace these bad micro sds immediately without the runaround **bleep** about not being responsible for components they sell that are made by other companies.  What product isn't made from other companies' components these days?  Really, Verizon, you are just embarrasing yourself and don't seem to get it.  If you don't think you will lose customers over this, think again..

0 Likes
amk115

When did Droid X get the Gingerbread update?  I don't think my phone got it? Mine says Android version 2.3.3 - isn't that Froyo?

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

System Version =  4.5.605  & Android version 2.3.3 = Gingerbread

Rolled out starting June 1, 2011   ... in "waves" of users.

0 Likes
amk115

Thanks for clarifying.

0 Likes
Re: Droid's and microSD card error
bronxgirl52
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is now obvious by reading the posts on this forum that there are bunch of defective SM cards associated withthe Droid X - they all seem to be occuring with 1 year old phones.  The Verizon store was no help- clerk telling me it is my problem. How can it be my problem if so many people on this forum are stating same thing???- I woke up and out of nowhere my phone read blank SM card/ SD card blank or has unsupported file system. Needless to say I lost ALL my pictures and music., I tried ALL of the remedies listed in the various emails to no avail.  Last night I had a lengthy conversation with a Verizon tech on the phone who connected us to Motorola as veriozn still disavowing that this is a big problem withthe phones- We spoke with Motorola spoke for a few minutes then then we were mysteriously disconnected.  As there are so many of these cases, VERIZON is the one who needs to make good on this. There does not seem to be any accountibility from Verizon.   I am also considering switching cell company after this contract is up if this is the luke warm, disinterested service Verizon provides. :smileymad:

0 Likes
Re: Droid's and microSD card error
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

bronxgirl52 wrote:

It is now obvious by reading the posts on this forum that there are bunch of defective SM cards associated withthe Droid X - they all seem to be occuring with 1 year old phones.  The Verizon store was no help- clerk telling me it is my problem. How can it be my problem if so many people on this forum are stating same thing???- I woke up and out of nowhere my phone read blank SM card/ SD card blank or has unsupported file system. Needless to say I lost ALL my pictures and music., I tried ALL of the remedies listed in the various emails to no avail.  Last night I had a lengthy conversation with a Verizon tech on the phone who connected us to Motorola as veriozn still disavowing that this is a big problem withthe phones- We spoke with Motorola spoke for a few minutes then then we were mysteriously disconnected.  As there are so many of these cases, VERIZON is the one who needs to make good on this. There does not seem to be any accountibility from Verizon.   I am also considering switching cell company after this contract is up if this is the luke warm, disinterested service Verizon provides. :smileymad:

While there may be some bogus cards out there (I had one) I think the problem also lies within the phone itself. The card that came with my phone crapped out after I upgraded the phone to GB, and I had to purchase a new card (since VZW didn't want to replace what THEY sent me) and I've had problems with that card being unreadable (although I can reformat and everything is back to normal), so it leads me to believe it is the phone that causes the problems with the SD cards

0 Likes