Re: Factory reset - the what, why, and how for Gingerbread
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Well, I don't know .. sort of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  How old is the phone? more than 14 days and less than 1 year you end up with a refurb, not a new one.

- Which camera APP are you using?  (If not the stock APP, you could uninstall and reinstall the APP).

- You COULD start with the simpler "System Clear Cacher"

- Then if that doesn't work, the "Factory Reset" - but make sure you undertsand what it does and the "cleanest" approach to doing that ...

0 Likes
Galaxy80
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great thread Cody! To help with your apps, you can use Astro File Manager. It's a free app in the market. It has a pretty good app backup/restore feature. I backed up all of my apps, but if you directly restore them, they won't show up in the market as being installed. If you long press on the app, it will bring you to another screen asking if you want to install it. If you hit the menu button, it will say app market. Tap that, and it will bring you to the direct market link. Writing down all of my apps is a pain because I have over 200 apps installed, and I install new apps all of the time. A good 30-50 of them are font packs, icon packs, etc for my launcher. It's still QUITE time consuming to do it this way, but you will have a list on your SD card of all of your apps, and you can update them on a regular basis. To get to the app manager from Astro, you have to hit the menu button, then tools after you open the app. I hope this helps...

PS - If you brick your phone, all hope is not lost. There is a way to unbrick the DX, and it's pretty easy to do. If the worst happens, just google, how to unbrick your droid x, and read up on it. I had to do it the day before the OTA because I made a stupid mistake and bricked my phone..

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

bump for the noobies ..   Smiley Happy

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Ann154,

I agree!  Cody did share some great information and suggested some awesome tips as well!  Thanks Cody!

TominqueBo_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@TominqueBo_VZW
Now what I want to know is why you addressed your post to me, when all I was doing was praising Cody's initiative to pull the information together into a post for the users of this community? I don't even own a Droid X to benefit from the information directly.

Throughly confused. :smileysad:

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

bump

0 Likes
buttonpusher

Verizon sent me a new phone when the new software messed up my X. However, now I cannot figure how to assign specific ringtones to specific contacts. Their info does not work? I think they left a field out.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

deltasworder1x wrote:

I just got the GB update for my droid x and i'm noticing issues. My camera and camcorder apps freeze up and when i try to adjust settings the apps close on their own. Should i do the factory reset here? Please reply Idk if i should reset or send it to verizon!

Clear data at Settings/ Applications / Manage Application / All Tab and Media Storage and restart may resolve this, keep on mind this will clear ringer settings and all custom ringers need to be reset after doing this.

0 Likes
patronanejo

" I always take an extra precaution: in addition to a fully charged battery, I also connect my phone to AC with the Motorola AC-to-USB charging adapter that came with it. Not only does it insure that I won't run out of power, it also keeps my battery fully charged so I have a 100% charge after the factory reset...."

Dude, what if the power goes out? In addition to the handset,  I also make sure my laptop is fully-charged before undertaking a ROM upgrade. Instead of hooking the Android device up to its AC adapter, I leave the laptop plugged in and keep the handset charged via one of the laptop's USB ports. That way even in a blackout you've got a fully-charged intermediary between highly-vulnerable Droid and dead AC mains--a nine-cell UPS, if you will.

Of course, starting with a fully-charged handset is sufficient by design, so if the process isn't complete before the power comes back on, you're definitely doing it wrong. What I mean by that is--there's absolutely no reason to be scared off if you can't be bothered to take as many precautions as your most paranoid peers. Google has clearly devoted a lot of resources making the upgrade process painless for the lay device owner--while it makes sense to be careful, you'll find whatever efforts you make to be immediately rewarding.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

GUESS ADMIN AGREED THAT THE POST WAS AGAINST SO MANY RULES THEY JUST DELETED THE POST I REPLYED TO....  :smileywink: NOT A SURPRISE

Ooooook here we go dumberthanpalin..

Mostly all your question are against site rules to answer and also will void whatever device you gets warranty..

Installing unauthorized software or modifying the stock setting or kernel will void your warranty so fast you might just buy the phone of the street because Verizon will not have nothing to do with it and wont support the device once you have modified the device in a manner that wasn't authorized and distributed by the developer or service provider..

I really do not see you getting the answers you want on the carriers forum...

0 Likes