Froyo 3G Issue?
kschaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just finished reading 2 pages of users experiencing 3G issues after updating to 2.2 over at androidforums dot com (click here). Is anyone here experiencing 3G problems? I looked around and didn't find this in the forums.

Anyway, users are reporting that the 3G radio is not turning on after rebooting. I began experiencing this issue last night, and the problem has continued today. If I reboot the phone, it will work again -- until I reboot again. It seems to be a software issue with Froyo, but some think it's a problem with VZ's towers.

I tried reset, hard reset, and factory reset. None have corrected the problem, however, some mention that toggling the airplane mode fixes the problem temporarily in order to avoid a hard reset. That's fine, but I would like to know if there is a real fix that doesn't require me "working around" a software/network problem. Others mention calling *228 with temporary success, but nothing that actually resolves the issue beyond the next reboot.

I don't want to call VZ customer service if I'm going to have to wait 30 minutes to talk with a tech. It seems it might take that long with all of the Froyo issues. I also don't want to just get a refurb if the same issue will show up again (as the androidforum suggests is already happening).

Any news? thoughts? fixes

0 Likes
Re: Froyo 3G Issue?
kelbell8564

I have had the same issue with 3G, happened to me yesterday.  My 3G was not connecting.  I was in a place that had WiFi access so I just turned it on, when I got home I tried the 3G again, still nothing, so I rebooted my phone and it seemed to fix the problem.  So far today I have not had the issue.

0 Likes
hdsnprry
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yeah I had this issue with 3g yesterday, normally no problems in the area.I was at. Also I put my phone in airplane mode at work, for a few hours and when I tapped to remove airplane mode, it showed that airplane mode was disabled, but when I locked and then later unlocked my phone o was still showing airplane mode able bit with out the light highlited, but no issues at all today, I.shut my phone off and back on and no problems.
0 Likes
kschaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm concerned this issue will continue for a while, since we seem to be able to get the 3G radio to function after a workaround. It would be nice if VZ would address this, and send a fix quickly, because the 3G network is what makes the Incredible so fun. It's hard to be happy about my phone and service -- even though my DInc is just three weeks old -- if it doesn't work like it's brand new!

Here's to hoping VZ / Google / HTC / You figures out what's up!

0 Likes
dadsterflip

i have the same problem. someone said turning the airplane mode on and off seems to fix that problem without having to do another reboot but ive tried that and seems to freeze up the phone and when you reboot while its trying to turn on airplane mode, when it boots back up then it automatically turns it on which is weird. ive tried searching everywhere a fix and i don't really wanna do a custom rom just to fix that radio problem with it. so call VZ is the only other way or htc anyways ill check into this and hopefully someone finds a cure.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Although I have seen the issue, it is rare. I hold the power button till I get the option screen. I turn off Mobile Network, then turn it back on.

0 Likes
kschaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

If it's rare, why are there so many talking about it at android forums? Or do you mean it's rare on YOUR phone?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

kschaub wrote:

If it's rare, why are there so many talking about it at android forums? Or do you mean it's rare on YOUR phone?

And how many DROID'S have been sold out of the maybe 250 posts (ACROSS ALL BOARDS) complaining about it?  1-3 million? Forums are made for complaining not saying all is working fine.

Y'all see a complaint from someone and immediately it is a BUG and poorly written program, EVERYONE HAS THE ISSUE. It is called the placebo effect.

Yes phones do crazy things, it is sensitive electronic device.

0 Likes
kschaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I could say the same about your reply. How many customers are just calling VZ? How many are reading these things, but never say anything? I'm not saying it's as widespread as the iPhone antenna issue, but I do think that glitches and other problems have popped up with DIncs after the 2.2 update. Mine was operating fine, I get the update, and now it's not. I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering. It's not a placebo effect for me, but thanks anyway for your brainy psychoanalysis.

0 Likes
andersnj

The 2.2 update ruined my phone.  The new native apps are killing the battery life.  VZ navigator, amazon mp3, city id, and skype mobile are constantly running.  The phone can't even make it 7hrs on one charge after I make 3 texts and have a one minute phone call.

My phone was great with 2.1 and now it's as good as a paper weight if I can't use it when I need it.

Fix this verizon...I plan on calling VZ and telling them 2.2 is garbage and I encourage all of you to let your voice be heard.  Down with 2.2.

0 Likes