GPS/Location issues in NY area
q2life
Enthusiast - Level 2

NY area for me is Orange and Dutchess counties.

About 2 days ago I noticed my Droid Inc. was having issues knowing where it was. As in the weather on the main screen saying I was somewhere in Spain. Didn't think much of it, probably a temporary glitch. However, that evening and the next day revealed that my phone could no longer lock onto a GPS fix. Anything on the phone that uses GPS data is affected. Went through the 'usual suspects' ;  restart, pull battery, update, reset, still nothing. Some poking around on other forums has revealed that others in the New York area are having this same issue. Some as far as Rochester and Buffalo.

I stopped by a Verizon store in Dutchess county and they said they were aware of it but had no other info or possible time when the issue will be resolved. However, others have been told by Verizon that they don't know of any issues and don't support  3rd party apps?

Does anyone (or maybe Verizon?) have any information about this? I'm getting the feeling that Verizon may have discontinued GPS service to the Droid Inc.. Which sucks because it's one of the big reasons I went with the phone.

Regards,

Lost in upstate New York

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: GPS/Location issues in NY area
q2life
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like it's working again. Hitting on anywhere from 9 to 11 satellites. Some others are reporting they have service back as well. Hopefully that's the end of it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jdb1941

I live in Buffalo, my GPS stopped locking on my Droid 2 when I needed it on Friday. I did a factory reset and did not correct the problem. The update seems to have updated the firmware in the gps chipset. Also, like you when GPS does momentarily lock onto a signal, it believes I'm in either France or Spain traveling at 700MPH. I did contact Verizon support, and they stated that is a known issue with no ETA of a fix. And now I hear that my family and friends are now beginning to have the same issues with different android devices, but all on the Verizon Wireless network. Why do I have this feeling that issue isn't going to be fixed in a timely matter?
0 Likes
kowalski989

I live south of Albany and have the same problem. I can't really get a straight answer from Verizon to why it's happening. I'm really getting sick of Verizon

0 Likes
jdb1941

Its funny that it is only happening to us here in New York.  I'm wondering if it has anything do with the law that was recently just passed about using a Electronic device while driving.  There is an exception to this law in using regular GPS devices, but not using the GPS on a phone. 

0 Likes
callipygian

Exactly same here. Only answer from Verizon so far was "we know it's a problem and we're working on it"  Thanks for making the switch from AT&T's crappy network to Verizon's crappy customer service all worth it.

0 Likes
q2life
Enthusiast - Level 2

Crickets chirping, tumbleweed blowing by, nothing more. My phone this morning thought I was in a cemetery in Spain at an elevation of -6 feet. I guess they're trying to tell me something. I have to drive into New Jersey this morning I'm curious to see if the problem exists down there as well.

0 Likes
sbatzold

I am having the same problem between Rochester and Syracuse area. I traveled to Philly area this weekend and phone worked fine all weekend there, come back to NY and problem comes back.

0 Likes
kowalski989

They keep saying it's a Google maps update problem. There solution is to uninstall the google maps updates, but many people have tried this and it doesn't work. Also no one from any other carrier is complaining about this issue. They need to take responsibility. here's a bigger forum on the issue http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=3b0a8b1c97a9ea23&hl=en

0 Likes
q2life
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not official but... It's starting to sound like it's something to force users to buy VZ navigator or upgrade to a new phone. Hopefully that turns out not to be true. It just seems odd that there would be such an extensive loss of service and absolute silence from VZ. Decision was probably made in a conference room somewhere, which was followed by applause and a finance employee of the quarter award. Oh well.

0 Likes
q2life
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like it's working again. Hitting on anywhere from 9 to 11 satellites. Some others are reporting they have service back as well. Hopefully that's the end of it.

0 Likes