GPS on Droid X
afflofh

Since I got my Droid X, I have been having trouble with the GPS not working.  When I had the Droid 2 my GPS would come up with an arrow, following my every move in the car.  It would even talk to me.  Now that I have this Droid X the bottom always says "Locating GPS" and at the top it says "Follow Directions".  Of course I took it into the Verizon store and you know what they said, "It is suppose to be like that, it's updating constantly.  As someone who does not know about the Droid, I said ok and walked out the store.  Of course I was upset but what could I do.  Does anyone know why the GPS does not work like it should.  I am falling behind on my Geocaching.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: GPS on Droid X
jscalzo65

Same problem here.  I had to go out and buy a Garmin to use for GPS.  I still want to get this working though, so I can use "Map My Run".

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

you might check to see if you have the mos current version of google maps.

0 Likes
afflofh

I don't think the map version is the problem. Even if I had an old map it should still indicate where I am going just like a car gps.

0 Likes
afflofh

Looks like I am going to have to buy a new GPS for the car. Droid x2 is no good for GPS. At least for me.

0 Likes
bemfield
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a problem within the GPS or navigation with the Droid X.  In my case I have had to return the unit twice to the store due to the fact you will type in an address, it starts to track and then it goes blank with a black screen.  There is something within the navigation program that conflicts with the Droid X.  I have to use my GPS 8 to 10 times a day.  It is really frustrating when you are going to a location to have the screen black out and then have to restart the unit.  The techo nerds are more concerned with the games on the system then to actually fix something that you will use for legitimate purposes.  VZW its time that you look into the problem, everyone has spent a great deal of money on these phones and it would be nice to have them working properly without all of the headaches

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

afflofh,

I definitely want the GPS to work properly for you! Please go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates to ensure the most recent software is on the device. When was the device purchased? Does the GPS not function in a particular area/location? While powered on, remove the battery for 20 secs, then reboot. Leaving the battery door off the back of the device, please launch the Navigation app and try to navigate to a destination. Let me know of the progress.

Thank you!
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes