GPS on the Droid X
PacoX
Enthusiast - Level 3
I don't think I have seen anyone comment on how freakishly efficient the GPS on the X is. Not only does it pinpoint your location in a heartbeat, its almost exact. So far I have achieved a reading of 3 meters, 9ft! I think I got 20 ft in my old I phone but that was one a clear day, outside, with full bars, and it didn't lock on nearly as fast. I actually think it got a little slower in 2.2, but it still snappy. I live in FL an we had a cloudy week but I was still able to get a quick lock within 20 meters while inside a building and it raining outside. I have a GPS in my car, but I opt to use my X. Just thought I would share.
0 Likes
Re: GPS on the Droid X
MTY55
Contributor - Level 1

The gps and navigation using the Droid X is superb. I've been a Garmin fan for a while now. Since using the DX the nuvi stays home. Very accurate and map redraw seems smoother than the Garmin..  I also geocache and find this is also a very effective tool for that too. The Droid X is a fantastic all around tool. As a bonus you can even make a phone call if you choose:smileyvery-happy:

The vehicle power cord and car dock are a must.. A tip to Garmin Nuvi users.The windshield mount you have installed will fit the socket on the back of the car dock no need to use the suction cup and arm.. I myself use the Garmin beanbag mount. When I opened up the cardock box and looked at it. Interesting. popped the Nuvi off the ball on the mount and tried the  car dock mounting bracket on the ball. Worked like a charm. I'm glad because I don't care for anything mounted on the windshield. Also good for a few states that banned windshield mounted devices.

0 Likes
Sparkette
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know you can answer the phone while using the gps but can you go back to the gps screen while still on the phone. I was using it last night and received a call and almost missed my turn.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Actually you can drop down your notification menu and click the nav icon and bring it to the front so you can see the map on display, the only issue is that since the maps need the web to download map images you may travel outside of the downloaded map area and the map will go clear.  The map will pick back up once call is ended but this is one of the down side to having a web base gps app.

0 Likes
robimon7

yea I used it last night, it's veryfast, accurate and responsive, quick question, the data plan required to get this phone, does it also give us unlimited uses to the navi as well? or will that be a seperate bill?

0 Likes
arnoldmillskid

I have not had good with my Droid X getting a GPS signal. Navigator can not find GPS. I have powered off, pulled battery, hard reset, etc and I can not lock onto a signal. I just got the Droid X a week ago, it is running Android 2.2.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
PacoX
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you are using the Google Navigator, its free.

If you are having trouble getting a lock, make sure your GPS settings are actually one. I don't think they are on by default. I just turned all the options on but I am certain they are not all needed. I'll someone else explain the 3 settings. Also I heard calibrating your compass works also. When you calibrate your compass try to do it away from any from things that might through it off, like I was trying to do it right next to my laptop with no luck.

Because I like to take "shortcuts" a lot I made a shortcut to my house so all I have to do it click the icon and boom, I found the quickest way home.

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

use your data for whatever you like you pay dearly for it up front anyways. and the paid app for vznavigator isnt as accurate as google maps but also you dont need a data connection just a gps connection for verizon's app to work so unless you travel in the sticks often go with google or blow 3 bucks at a time or 10 a month up to you.....do any us miss printing out directions from google maps before leaving to go on a trip lol ahhh the good ole days

0 Likes
PacoX
Enthusiast - Level 3

I remember printing out mapquest directions, I faintly remember using fold out maps (21). Now you can set Google to automatically say the closest McDonalds to you just by typing McDonalds. I couldn't imagine moving to a new city before the Internet, I would imagine it took awhile to really get to know your way around if you didn't know anyone.

0 Likes
IDhiker
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have used the GPS using Oruxmaps from the marketplace for hiking in the adirondacks. It has surpassed my garmin as far as holding track in areas where my garmin lost track because of trees and other obstructions. This was done without any service available for 3g or phone service.

0 Likes