Re: Getting unwanted messages (VZWNMN:5) from Verizon and Verizon is not able to stop them.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Has anyone tried the steps listed in this blog article?

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/27/incredible-2-owners-receiving-message-from-vzwnmn-here-is-how-to-stop-them/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Getting unwanted messages (VZWNMN:5) from Verizon and Verizon is not able to stop them.
Wildman
Legend

Here is the direct link to this page since the site has revised.....  https://nbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/accountholder/services/viewFeatures.action

Thanks Ann I received this text earlier today and your post gave me the information I needed to resolve this, all seems good after disabling the “Contact Management” option..

0 Likes
ssstellar27
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had my Samsung Stratosphere for about 5 months.  This morning at 4:30am, I received the VZWNMN text from 6520.  Since then, I've received the same message another 10 times.  I have not downloaded any new apps recently, have not changed any settings on my phone, and I have never received these messages before.  I spoke with my good friend who sold me the phone.  He had never heard of this issue.  I told him I'd found a lot of forum posts about it, he said he would check into it.  If he gets any answers I will come back and share with the class Smiley Happy

0 Likes
sitnscoop

I tried this about 12:20 PM Eastern Time. It is now 3:26 PM and I have received 34 more text messages. Any other thoughts?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Did you complete the form to exclude you from the telemarketers list for your device...  Verizon had one that I posted awhile back and the government has a do not call list that also suppose to cover bot texting?

I see this may be a real issue in time since the law pasted that granted telemarketers access to cell number..

Maybe try blocking Premium Messages from your account by going to https://nbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/accountholder/uc/UCServiceBlocks.action and select the block option next to the option..

Update:   I just found a post that the user reported that he blocked the SMS with Handcent, once the message comes in you can press and hold message and select block from the popup menu.

0 Likes
ambs929

I also have a samsung stratosphere and started getting text messages in the middle of the night.  Mine is related to yahoo mail (although I've had yahoo mail on my phone since Christmas).  Everytime I get a new email in yahoo, I get a text message with how many new emails I have in my inbox VZWNMN:1, VZWNMN:2, etc.  I did not change ANY settings for anything.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling yahoo mobile and it still happens.  I've tried to change different sync settings and it still happens.  I can't block the messages because they are coming from verizon and only have the 4 digit number.  I'm glad to hear others are having the same issue because I've been working on it ALL day!!!  The only thing I can think is that I think there was an update for yahoo mobil yesterday that I may have downloaded and that might of changed something or be a bug, but I can't figure out what it is!!!

0 Likes
Barryhenn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had 14 of the msgs today on my Strato and they are still coming in. To my knowledge I haven't changed any of the things in Settings.

From what I'm reading this is coming from Verizon. 

I've seen a couple of comments posted on how to stop them but why doesn't Verizon shut it off instead of making all the customers do something?  It doesn't seem to serve any usefull purpose.

0 Likes
bidmom

i believe this is related to last night push of "backup assistant plus" to stratospheres, but if you go into your verizon account and delete it from your phone, you will lose your email functionality. (thats what happened to me) I have reactivated backup assistant plus in hopes of restoring my email and hope verizon will fix the texting issue from their end

0 Likes
umptim

I just tried the hold and block thing, but my popup as no button for "block".

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Are you using the stock SMS app or Handcent because this is a Handcent feature?  It actually will say Blacklist...

shot1_Feb_17_2012_1.png

0 Likes