Re: Gingerbread Update Broke HTC Weather/Clock Widget
Addictor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I basically got the same response. My wife and I both have the DInc2's, and her alarm functions disappeared, but mine is still there. She uses the alarm, I don't. She's already getting REALLY frustrated by this and the reception issue. I think they need to put more effort towards their software/firmware builds and fixes. Issues like this shouldn't go on for as long as it has.

0 Likes
mdolinger

My coworker and I both have DINC 2's.  got them the same day.  My clock isn't working, hers is.  I did the factory reset as I was told by my local verizon store which solved the problem short term.  I woke up this AM to NO clock again.  I hope verizon and HTC get their stuff together and fix a pretty well used item on a phone.  I hope this doesn't turn into froyogate and the fascinate. 

0 Likes
Addictor
Enthusiast - Level 2
I wonder if this broke only for the people who used this widget, like my wife. I never used mine, and still have it. And I've heard a few stories of this, and just noticed this commonality. Maybe? Just a though... But then again, it still dosen't explain why it disappears after factory reset then upgrade to GB.
0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you to the community for your responses!

I understand your frustration in this matter, especially when you rely on the alarm clock. Please note that  HTC is aware of this issue and is working on a fix. In the meantime, I would like to suggest downloading a free clock application from the market until a fix is in place. 

Thank you very much for your patience. Have a good day!

0 Likes
theblade1959
Enthusiast - Level 2

About 2 weeks ago, I was searching for information on the Gingerbread update for my DInc 2. I started noticing people saying they got the update but then their alarm clocks weren't working. I had not received the "push" from Verizon, so I did a manual software update search and it was there. I got it.

And I still had my alarm clock. Yay!

A week later, I had set my alarm for a special event (a funeral) and woke up realizing it was later than it should be and my alarm had not gone off. I pressed the clock on my home screen and NOTHING!

I had read about these issues and I wanted to see what Verizon had to say, so after I left the church, I stopped by. The young lady who helped me instantly removed my app killer saying it was probably the problem and that the newer phones didn't need those. She also said that she had been using an Android phone since March of 2010 and she found that updates may fix something, but they could easily break something else. She felt like a future update could fix this, too. She searched my app list for the Clock app, and it was gone (yet I still had the widget on my home screen).

In the meantime she downloaded Alarm Clock Plus. I must say I was really impressed by the size of the Snooze button but not much else.

Strangely, over the next week, I found times when my app list would have duplicates of some apps. Later, those would be back to single listings and something else would be duplicated. Odd. But I felt like this was related somehow.

Then last night, I got notification that there was an update for Alarm Clock Plus, which I downloaded. And this morning, I woke up to TWO alarms going off at the same time! I looked, and the original Clock app is back, including my alarms that I had set myself. I pressed the clock on the home screen and the settings window came up, too. I don't know of course if this is temporary, but I do know that I have not had another official update from HTC or Verizon except one that only fixed network issues. And I still didn't have an alarm clock.

The Snooze screen for the resident alarm app seemed different before I dismissed it this morning, almost as though it had been updated somehow, but I was still mostly asleep. For now, I think I will continue to use the Alarm Clock Plus (it has a Nap function, too), but I wanted people to know that my alarm clock did come back.

0 Likes
theblade1959
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:

Yesterday, I had to restart my phone when an app had locked. When I got back in, I found that the Clock app is missing from my apps list again, but I can still tap the clock on the Home screen to get to the settings. I can only assume that this is related to the duplicate listings thing I was getting. I imagine that it will show up again in a few days.

0 Likes
theblade1959
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:

The Clock app is back in the listing as of last night. Have not restarted the phone by any means since the other day when the app disappeared from the apps list. Tapping the widget on the home screen has been working, even while the app was missing, and continues to work after the app reappears.

The only difference I can think of from the other day is the installation of a coupon app yesterday.

0 Likes
socalnighter

same problem just started last night for me. The Clock app not showing up in the application list, and in the Settings\Applications it's grayed out. The widget keeps showing me the clock but when tapped, doesn't go to  the alarm screen.

0 Likes
theblade1959
Enthusiast - Level 2
Keep an eye on it. It could show in a few days. It took mine about a week. After that, I have been able to tap the widget to get the settings even when the icon disappeared from the app list again.
0 Likes
bikeflip

My clock widget worked for about 2 weeks, then the desk/world/alarm/stopwatch/timer just disappeared. Called HTC and after a bunch of suggestions did not work, we went to the total reset. After the reset, the clock was back, but my apps were gone from the market. So much for the tech advice, telling me my apps would be floating on a cloud somewhere. NO long gone. The clock lasted about 5 hours then disappeared again. This time I thought I'd give the Verizon techs a crack at it. I told him of my adventures with the HTC tech. And he had no more answers to give me. So he decided that my unit was defective and they were going to send me another one. Oboy, a refurb/open store unit to replace my brand new unit. Since the GB upgrade I have had to do a total reset twice. We will keep on going at this rate. I will going 20.8 total resets a year. 

So power in numbers, I'm just joining the group. 

0 Likes