Re: Gingerbread Update Broke HTC Weather/Clock Widget
Linferno
Just bought mine today...went to set alarm and it doesnt work....i will be back to store tomorrow!
0 Likes
cartoons

I just recieved the latest update yesterday and the clock app still hasn't returned.

0 Likes
kilativ

Anybody from VZW dares to update us?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Everyone, I checked and it looks like this issue is still being investigated. Some things I will recommend if you haven't tried already, is to clear the cache/data from the Clock application. Other workarounds until this is completely resolved, are to download a clock application from the Market. Some people have noticed that downloading some clock applications caused the original HTC clock widget to start working again. Again, I realize this is a temporary fix until a permanent resolution is reached. 

*Update: Changed link from cache to cache/data since it seemed to confuse some people.

0 Likes
cartoons

Clearing the Cache would probably do the trick, but my clock app has completely dissapeared. Which is interesting because the main clock widget still keeps time, as well as the weather, but is not accessible.

0 Likes
Midnight_Blue

You can't clear the cache of the Clock app when it has become "invisible".

While the Clock app appears in the Settings/Manage Applications/All list, it is grayed out (the indicator that it is no longer working). Clicking  the grayed out Clock app brings up the properties screen which shows that it is 0bytes. Therefore the Clear Cache button is also grayed out and can not be clicked.

The only repeatable solution is temporary (factory reset) and not worth the effort. The only workaround is to install a 3rd party app(s) from the Market. I have had to to install THREE apps (timer, world clock, and alarm) to replace the ONE app that came with my phone that fails to function as it should.

Come on now Verizon. This is absurd already. Fix the problem and until you do, provide users with accurate information.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Midnight_Blue, I have an Incredible 2 myself and I am able to clear the data from the Clock application. Have you tried this? The clear cache option is gray, but not the clear data option.  I provided the steps in the link. The update no longer has a Clock application, which is working as designed. To access the clock, you would need to press the clock widget. If that is still not working after following the steps I provided, you can complete a factory reset or use one of the third party applications. The steps I provided are correct, I apologize if they are not working for you or if you did not understand them.

0 Likes
kilativ

The Clock doesn't appear on the list applications any more. It did for some time AFTER it was broken, and i would be able to click it and it would say something about application not being found. but now it's not even on the list. for a looooong time....

0 Likes
Midnight_Blue

MarquiaF_VZW:

As I have stated previously, when the CLOCK app no lo longer functions, it becomes grayed out in the Manage Apps list. Yes, you can click on it and review properties. NO, you can not clear data OR clear cache as BOTH buttons are grayed out and not selectable. So YES, I have tried this and virtually ever other cockamamie suggestion provided by Verizon. I appreciate your efforts but this is a BUG that must be resolved with a PATCH. Anything else is purely a temporary remedy.

Lastly, Your original post only referred to cache and you have subsequently  edited your original post changing cache to cache/data. 

Again - it would be nice for someone at VZW to actually say " This is a bug. We have confirmed it is a bug. It will be resolved with a forthcoming patch."

Having users waste their time doing factory resets and other experiments is insulting at best. Fix the problem please.

0 Likes
TAFargo

It would be best if Verizon did some research and updated users of certain phones when bugs like this are reported. What I mean by this is that Verizon know who owns what, i.e. an INC 2, a Droid X etc., and should be able to release current issues and workarounds for that device. Every car company practice sthis, as it effects peoples lives in a more direct sense than lack of vital comunication. Vital communication effects lives too, however and I would like to see companies like Verizon and HTC be a little more proactive and not reactive when matters (bugs) are brought up. At least we have this message board to share info. Here's the lates link to todays (9/30) HTC gripe list http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/f/124/t/12556.aspx?PageIndex=7.

So far all I have done is downloaded an alarm app that works pretty good. Updates to follow...

0 Likes