Re: Gingerbread Update Broke HTC Weather/Clock Widget
Not applicable

Midnight_Blue, I changed the wording in my post because I realized it was confusing. I stated to clear the cache,but the link actually showed instructions on how to clear the data. That's why I asked if you had tried those steps.

I also see that myself and another co-worker have commented on this forum stating that we are aware of this issue and our product team is working with HTC on a resolution. I apologize if suggesting workarounds while waiting for this issue to be resolved is insulting to you.  Some of the workarounds have helped others with resolving this issue. I, myself have not had any issues with my alarm and use it daily. I will let our product team handle the issue from here and only comment when a software fix has been pushed.

0 Likes
bashley

I've had my DINC2 for about a month now. Everything worked fine till this past Wednesday 9-27-2011 when my phone was prompt to update to 2.3.4. I agreed and things were fine. Two days later being Friday 9-30-2011 my alarm decides not to go off causing me to be 1hr. late for work (Thanks). The day after the update being Thursday 9-29-2011 it worked fine an I was up in time for work. I don't care to use a 3rd party alarm app. since this phone has one that's supposed to work, which it did before this update.

I did a factory reset this afternoon an it went back to working. Installed a few FREE games and it quit working again. Just did another factory reset, but this time I'm not going to install anything on it and see if it goes out again. If so I may be tempted to take it out back an shoot it.

I have read many post and replies to this thread an I hope for a fix soon so this doens't happen again. 

0 Likes
Midnight_Blue

MarquiaF_VZW - Just very frustrated with lack of solution to this pervasive problem that has been around since the GB update was first released. Also frustrated with the "try this, try that" approach when the facts show that once the clock app is gone you can not clear data or clear cache and even factory reset (which is last resort sort of approach) only provides  temporary relief.

My apologizes if my frustrations have turned in to rudeness. Not my intent.

0 Likes
FrankCatalano

Just to add another voice to this discussion, my Clock app stopped working apparently right after the software update that was automatically installed on 9/26/11 (while I was traveling on business).

I wondered why my Incredible 2 alarm didn't work the next morning, but was too busy to look into it. Today, I noticed when trying to update some settings on the related Clock widget I could no longer add cities; trying to do so resulted in a repeated error messages.

After multiple restarts, clearing the HTC Sense cache, and trying other tactics to see if I could get the Clock widget to add new cities, I finally noticed I no longer had the World Clock app listed in the HTC Sense app list. Going into Settings: Applications: Manage Applications: All, the Clock app itself is grayed out and shows a size of 0.00B. I'm unable to select Clear Data or Clear Cache as both of those options are also grayed out.

Seems here, too, the 2.3.4 update is to blame, and the HTC Clock app reacts differently in different situations. My wife's new Incredible 2, by the way, received the same update -- and the Clock app works exactly as it should, no problems. (She never uses the alarm function, if that turns out to be a factor.)

0 Likes
snizbatch

Add one to the list... I just bought two Incredible 2's on 9-26-11 (One for me and one for my wife) and my world clock app stopped working about a week ago -- Just in time for me to go on a road trip and need an alarm.  I'm pretty upset it isn't working. There is seemingly no reaction to the problem except "We're looking into it".  There is a lot of good troubleshooting data out there on the forums.... TONs of people are having this problem.  I'd think a solution would be fairly simple if any effort was put toward it.  I did quite a bit of customizing to my phone to get ringtones, wallpaper, good apps etc.... And after reading the results of a factory reset, I'm not apt to try it.  I don't have the time to waste getting everything back to how I like it, only to have the clock stop working again.  I tried unmounting my SD Card and rebooting the phone without it to see if anything there was interfering... no luck.  Many people removed a bunch of installed apps to no avail so I am also not tempted to try this approach. I tried clearing the data on the app... no luck.  It still doesn't work.  I'm sure there is someone at HTC whose job it is to repair this flaw.  Let's hear from whoever it is.... Tell us what you're doing to at least attempt to fix the problem!!  And if you're working hard on it but genuinely at a loss for a solution... thank you for your hard work, and keep on trying.  I'm going to return this phone if it isn't fixed within a few days.

0 Likes
Re: Gingerbread Update Broke HTC Clock
zcar300

My girlfriend has the incredible 2 and the clock stopped working last week after an update. This is very distressing as her hotmail email has never worked to begin with. And apparently these are known issues that have not been resolved.

This is not a problem with just the widget. It is a problem with the clock and alarm. The clock is missing from the app drawer.

Am I to understand that no one's clock/alarm is working now? This seems like a very big problem with HTCs software development. And telling people to use a different app or to open a gmail account is NOT an answer. A short term work around maybe, in the case of the clock. But if they can't get their software to work for long periods of time when people are churning out ROMs that work flawlessly on rooted devices. Something is very wrong with their priorities.

As a vender for their products I hope you take this matter seriously. I also hope that someone in Verison is talking directly with HTC to get this matter resolved. Email syncing and the alarm clock are some of the fundamental functions of these phones. 

0 Likes
pmooney

I found the clock functionality on my Dinc2 broken again this morning when it failed to initiate the alarm to wake me up.  I've had this phone for two months now and it's the second time I've been forced to perform a factory reset to restore basic functionality.  Does Verizon really expect customers to reset and re-setup their devices every month?

Since this issue is neither new nor isolated, I can only draw one of two conclusions at the moment.  Either Verizon has chosen to ignore the issue and the customer by refusing to allocate a real support resource to track down the root of the problem, or a support resource has been allocated but has utterly failed due to incompetence.

Failure to follow up on this issue is making me seriously consider pursuing service with a different wireless carrier.

0 Likes
pmooney

After uninstalling an app this morning, my clock is once again non-functional.

That makes for two factory resets needed in one day.

This is absolutely unacceptable.

0 Likes
zcar300

It's really not Verizons fault. It's HTC. And here is what HTC told me directly in an email.

"We advise of the alternate option of being able to download apps that perform simular functions as this is the premise behind the Android OS' profile customization ability."

In other words, we don't give a crap because you're still buying our phones. They have no intention on fixing their software.

From now on I for one will not buy HTC. It's the only way to show them that quality still counts for something.

0 Likes
used2loveIncrd2
0 Likes