Re: Gingerbread Update for HTC Droid Incredible
JMKosmo

Any of you Verizon employees have an update on when the OTA will go out?  Or is it stay in the dark for another month, again?  I wish you people would learn to communicate!

0 Likes
Hankster42

Communication should be their business not their problem.. as I see it.

0 Likes
GaryGarland

FWIW, I think it's GREAT Verizon, but more importantly, HTC are supporting the Droid Incredible despite it being discontinued.  I pre-ordered the Incredible and received it 2 days before "official release" - since then I anxiously awaited Froyo, and when it came, it offered only incremental improvement.  Then later, there was talk the Dinc would be updated to Gingerbread, and then rumors back and forth that it wasn't going to happen.

Now, if there was to be no update, I wouldn't have blamed Verizon; I'd have been very ticked at HTC, and seriously probably never would have considered another device (notwithstanding, that unbeknowst to me I'd owned HTC devices since my first iPAQ circa 2000 - only lately have they become a local brand). 

The fact that they ARE willing to upgrade their discontinued device is terrific.  A consumer expects support, not necessarily continued improvements.

I have little hope the Dinc will have official support for Ice Cream Sandwich when it comes out (but hey, props to the modding community), however I think it's great the Dinc is getting official support for Gingerbread.

I applaud Verizon - sure, I'd have liked the update months ago, but as some posters have said, far better to have a stable, polished product, than merely race it to the door and have issues.

There is also something to be said to the posters who said, essentially, "two year hardware committment shoudl have two year support" - I wholeheartedly agree, however support for errors, warranty replacement, and tech support is not the same as an OS upgrade - I think that part is a real value added bonus.

Verizon generally has the best coverage in my area, and I'm entrenched with them, with 4 lines, with contracts expiring in a staggered manner, so it is hard for me to disentangle from VW - it is FAR from perfect, and I generally hate Verizon with a passion (the land line division).  If VW did not support the Dinc upgrade, and HTC offered it, I'd be really ticked off with VW, however if neither supported the Gingerbread upgrade I'd put the blame on HTC and stay with Verizon (for the foreseeable future).  I view the upgrade as a real win to me, and to whomever I sell my phone when I upgrade roughly next April (2 years).

I do wish Verizon had let on earlier that the upgrade was coming, and an approximate target, instead of the rumors, and silence - seeing the Upgrade Coming on the support page is fine - sure, I want it now, but at least I know it is coming, and apparently soon.

--A satisfied Verizon Wireless Customer/Droid Incredible Owner.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

Given that this MIGHT be the last official update that the DROID Incredible gets, I would rather that they take all the time they need to give us something to last us until we find our next new phone. For me it will probably be an Icecream Sandwich phone....

Also for those who really can't wait or don't want to wait, there are a lot of unofficial roms already available out there which get the job done really well....

For me, I've had my DROID Incredible since it first came out (I preordered). I have not had any of the major issues that people have been complaning about ... I guess I got lucky! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
stankopp

Torgo wrote:

Can we all just calm down a bit?

I'm guessing that Gingerbread is not going to result in a huge performance improvement in our phones, and the added features aren't a quantum leap forward.  For those whose phones have been plagued by glitches, I'm also guessing that the upgrade will not solve those glitches, and most likely will lead to further problems.  Fortunately for me, my phone has been relatively trouble-free (although I did have to send my first one back after getting a replacement with very little hassle), so I'm not itching for an update anyway.

Mark my words, when everyone starts getting their updates, most of the comments will be along the lines of "meh" and/or "UPDATE BRICKED MY PHONE!!??!!"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

The upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 on my Aishuo TMD mini 816 made a HUGE difference in battery life.  Battery life (or lack thereof) is my only complaint with my Dinc running 2.2.  As for the promised update: I'll believe it when I see it.  
0 Likes
johnt519

Ok, MarquiaF_VZW, any news? Or are you going to be typical and just say ... nothing. Or "follow our twitter and facebook for more info"... or rather follow that to bump up our social network numbers, not for any meaningful info...

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Any day now.... Any day now....
Hello again Verizon forums!
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Welcome back dabubbakin!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well i'm not going to sweat it or be sad  :smileysad:  if it does'nt show up accually i really would'nt miss if it don't come as my Inc is doing Ok an i really dont want to go thru what X owners have with there Droid X's an i have with my X after gingerbread. But if this coming update does'nt screw up the Inc's i'll be for it. But there will be a 50 / 50 chance it will.  An if it messes up the Camera i'll be a mad cat for sure. B33   

0 Likes
johnt519

Ahhh... another day with not a peep from Verizon. Wouldn't want to have actual communication with your customer base, would you now? Nah, didn't think so.

0 Likes