Gingerbread update possible online?
dh315

I'm just wonder if and how long after the Gingerbead update is available OTA will it be available through the online supprt page for the Charge at this website

http://support.verizonwireless.com/system_update/charge.html

0 Likes
Re: Gingerbread update possible online?
strike01

Never

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

Samsung released the sourcecode and the SD card isntall to testers, which made its way on to XDA.

That's the only way to do it that way right now, or unless verizons tech use.

I received the offcial  did it mysel simply because OTA's urk me, had a bad OTA happen once, even tho it's rare.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
Does it run nice and smooth houston? Any notable improvements that you think are an upgrade over froyo?
0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

I never really had many issues with froyo.

It's going to look almost the same, some changes in features, menu options.

4G is more stable but our area is having work done on towers.

Performance is defiantly better, and I tweaked it and it used less overhead memory.

However I recommend clearing the battery cache, It didn't seem to report battery life right and was lower then battery actually was. SO I bump charge it, and it is great now.

Performance playing Order and CHaos Online is defiantly smoother.

I do recommend Go launcher EX.  It adds nice 3d scrolling affects (that you have to set in options) and you can customize the icons at bottom. Gingerbread still comes with default themes.

I also like when you go to apps it has the task manager row at the top for   ALL  -   Recent -  Running     apps and  you can click  close all programs there.

Haven't played with some of the new stuff like Books, since I use Nook.

GLad the battery charged sound is nice and soft now. It won't wake you out of your sleep.

0 Likes
bluestar
Contributor - Level 1

Houston, how do you clear the battery cache? Will a simple bump charge do it? And thanks for all your helpful input today.

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

Have to clear it using the recovery mode. When you boot up phone. But bump charging will probably do the trick, eventually the battery cache will cache up and start reporting correctly.

THe smarter the smart phones get, the more power they demand. They release stock batteries that an seem to discharge fast.

WIth Dual core processors and more memory, it's even worse, especially since makers moved away from smart chips that throttle CPU power as needed, lowering demand, and went with straight up running CPU's like in the bionic that is a battery hog. People complain about the charge but after messing with a Bionic for some time, I was like "Seriously, I'm dead in 3.5- 4 hours?)

There are better after market batteries. There is a 2400 or 2600mah that is the same thickness now as the stock. Just better, a tad more expensive then the extended but better.

Androids change fast. We end up with a new model faster then we can whine about it.

0 Likes
dholbdy

so the answer is that I will never be able to update my phone from the Charge support page?

0 Likes
majael
Contributor - Level 1

dholbdy wrote:

so the answer is that I will never be able to update my phone from the Charge support page?

If you are referring to what strike01 stated last night, that was just frustration being vented, not an answer.

No one knows the answer right now.  Or if they do, they aren't telling the public, the VZW CSRs or anyone else that matters.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

The update for the Droid Charge has officially been launched!

As usual, it can take up to 2 weeks for you to get the update on your own personal device. Software updates are sent to our customers in batches/phases, therefore everyone will not get it at the same time.

You can follow the update instructions to get it on your device!

0 Likes